Dogs Are They Aware.

The experts say that dogs have no conscious mind,they say that dogs learn by trial and error only.

Then way is it when i talk to a Thai dog in English it has no concept of what i'm talking about ,But if i talk Thai to the same dog (such as: good dog or come here), it understands me every time .

An interesting thought don't you think ???? :huh:try looing at> www.dogphychology.com

I think body language has a lot to do with it as well. Yell at a soi dog in english, it'll most likely scurry away to a point of safety, then bark it's fool head off.

Talk to the same dog in a friendly tone, tail starts wagging and next thing you know, it's following you around like a life long pet (unless it smells food along the way).

Of course, many soi dogs/cats start off as pets, so maybe they remember the human interaction from the time they were puppies.

I think body language has a lot to do with it as well. Yell at a soi dog in english, it'll most likely scurry away to a point of safety, then bark it's fool head off.

Talk to the same dog in a friendly tone, tail starts wagging and next thing you know, it's following you around like a life long pet (unless it smells food along the way).

Of course, many soi dogs/cats start off as pets, so maybe they remember the human interaction from the time they were puppies.

Chicken is like gold to these mutt's,try to have some interaction with are four leged freinds it's good for the soul :o .

Chicken is like gold to these mutt's,try to have some interaction with are four leged freinds it's good for the soul :D .

A member with a heart..... :o:D:D

Chicken is like gold to these mutt's,try to have some interaction with are four leged freinds it's good for the soul :o .

Sometimes if I'm buying something from a cart, I'll get a little extra for whatever mutt happens to be near. I've found it hard to get rid of them afterwards, darn near had them jumping onto my lap, tail wagging, fleas flying every where.

The girls thought it was great that I'd be generous enough to feed the mutt(s) once in awhile. "Jai dee"

I'm going to start leaving them food outside of a certain bar on soi Lucky :D

Of course they think, although one wonders whether they entertain such abstract thoughts as "do humans actually think, or only learn to respond to my commands for food and respect?" :o

Any authority who claims otherwise is operating with peculiar notions of what thought is all about, has lived a life completely isolated from animals and their rich and clever antics, or does not offer them the same escape from behaviorist dogma that they afford their human peers. (Note, some folks think their home appliances have personalities and/or vendettas against them, so I'm afraid you may be stuck working this one out yourself.)

I have successfully commanded "Thai" dogs (not soi dogs) using English and my feeling is that the interaction is mostly based on mood/assertiveness. I tested this further by interacting with "English" dogs using a bizarre mishmash of profanity and non-English vocabulary, while maintaining the expected emotional tone for each command. :D Results are more varied when dealing with human subjects...

Interestingly, rats have apparently been shown to be able to distinguish different human languages, at the level of "Japanese sounds mean food is over there"... nobody is getting rats to chuckle at French puns, except doze doity rats at de bistro. Goofy behaviors surrounding language are easy to mistake for emergence of thought, so I'd pay more attention to basic things like problem solving, route planning, and deceptive play.

Six months ago, I adopted a soi pup that was abandoned at the village's entrance She now responds to Thai, English and French.

But Sticky also responds to Nicky, Spicky, Ricky, Vickie, Mickey...

Her mom and dad now hang out and sleep here (both soi dogs), they respond to English :o

Scientists have just established that dogs have feelings. Sadness, jealousy, anger.

I had a dog once, and every night, I would get my coat on, take his lead from behind the door, then hang it back up and take my coat off again. That really got him mad. :o

I suppose you actually meant the site

http://www.dogpsychology.com/

Pretty hard to see them thinking in the way we mean the term because we think with words mostly, and dogs don't have them. Birds, dolphins and whales etc.. all have extensive use of sounds, and likely think in them. Can you think in a way that you mean by 'thought' without using words?

My mate had a dog that we used to walk by the river when we were young. One day it got the idea of crossing the river and chasing sheep for hours on end. So after a few weeks of this I took it to the river on the leash. Then I opened my plastic bag and pulled out the dog brush, shampoo, and dog towel. Then I pointed to the water and told it "Right mate, time for your BATH!", and let it off the leash.

In 12 years it never crossed the river again. Now, we all know what the dog thought about that.

I suppose you actually meant the site

http://www.dogpsychology.com/

Pretty hard to see them thinking in the way we mean the term because we think with words mostly, and dogs don't have them. Birds, dolphins and whales etc.. all have extensive use of sounds, and likely think in them. Can you think in a way that you mean by 'thought' without using words?

My mate had a dog that we used to walk by the river when we were young. One day it got the idea of crossing the river and chasing sheep for hours on end. So after a few weeks of this I took it to the river on the leash. Then I opened my plastic bag and pulled out the dog brush, shampoo, and dog towel. Then I pointed to the water and told it  "Right mate, time for your BATH!", and let it off the leash.

In 12 years it never crossed the river again. Now, we all know what the dog thought about that.

Many of today,s prominent linguist admit that languag actually derived from our flying friends, so there for mybe language can take many forms ,after all the deaf use languag that has no utterance's but it is sill a form of communication ,and most of them have a sense of being :o

...after all the deaf use languag that has no utterance's but it is sill a form of communication ,and most of them have a sense of being :o

Nice point! I always have my doubts when someone repeats the claim that we "think in our language." What a sadly limited view to have of ones own mind! That's the kind of circular statement I expect to hear from a computer some day when they are a lot more user-friendly than now. :D I assume your thread wasn't really supposed to be about soi dogs, and so I continue rambling.

I've had dreams "in" my native or foreign languages, but that was clearly about using, or struggling to use, the language to communicate my thoughts. It's kind of like having dreams using one mode of transportation or another; you may be struggling with the ignition key or the steering wheel, but the presence of the car is not necessary in wanting to go somewhere.

I think the core of our thoughts and self-image is rooted in these much older systems which are shared (partially) with many different animals. The ability to look an animal in the eye and empathize comes from recognizing these commonalities and assuming they go deeper. Obviously, there is a lot more room for error when trying to empathize with an animal with vastly different physiology, sense capabilities, or social structures. There's a standard philosophy question of whether a man can ever appreciate what it is like to be a bat (the little flying mammal), what with its echo-location and flight capabilities. Perhaps it would be easier for a dolphin to appreciate the bat, or for a jet fighter pilot who has learned to navigate in 3-space and to comingle his personal boundaries with the airplane and its avionics, radar, etc.? But do they have joy in flight, as many people do, and as stallions seem to have in "flying" low over their own landscapes?

Relating to other humans is a much simpler, yet still tricky problem. The ability to functionally communicate about life's necessitites in a brand new culture, using gestures, eye contact, and so on is similarly rooted in something much deeper than language! Here's a brain teaser to chew on over drinks with your multi-lingual friends: what percentage of your (their) thoughts do you (they) feel able to communicate in different languages? I've heard some start at 100% for their native tongue, and other relative values for seconds and thirds. But some, like me, will say something more like 20-40% for our native tongues. Order another round, and ask why...

...after all the deaf use languag that has no utterance's but it is sill a form of communication ,and most of them have a sense of being :o

Nice point! I always have my doubts when someone repeats the claim that we "think in our language." What a sadly limited view to have of ones own mind! That's the kind of circular statement I expect to hear from a computer some day when they are a lot more user-friendly than now. :D I assume your thread wasn't really supposed to be about soi dogs, and so I continue rambling.

I've had dreams "in" my native or foreign languages, but that was clearly about using, or struggling to use, the language to communicate my thoughts. It's kind of like having dreams using one mode of transportation or another; you may be struggling with the ignition key or the steering wheel, but the presence of the car is not necessary in wanting to go somewhere.

I think the core of our thoughts and self-image is rooted in these much older systems which are shared (partially) with many different animals. The ability to look an animal in the eye and empathize comes from recognizing these commonalities and assuming they go deeper. Obviously, there is a lot more room for error when trying to empathize with an animal with vastly different physiology, sense capabilities, or social structures. There's a standard philosophy question of whether a man can ever appreciate what it is like to be a bat (the little flying mammal), what with its echo-location and flight capabilities. Perhaps it would be easier for a dolphin to appreciate the bat, or for a jet fighter pilot who has learned to navigate in 3-space and to comingle his personal boundaries with the airplane and its avionics, radar, etc.? But do they have joy in flight, as many people do, and as stallions seem to have in "flying" low over their own landscapes?

Relating to other humans is a much simpler, yet still tricky problem. The ability to functionally communicate about life's necessitites in a brand new culture, using gestures, eye contact, and so on is similarly rooted in something much deeper than language! Here's a brain teaser to chew on over drinks with your multi-lingual friends: what percentage of your (their) thoughts do you (they) feel able to communicate in different languages? I've heard some start at 100% for their native tongue, and other relative values for seconds and thirds. But some, like me, will say something more like 20-40% for our native tongues. Order another round, and ask why...

There is a particular species of bird in Scotland, the name escape's me ,annualy it burie,s over 30,000 seed's in designated location,s ,when winter come's they retrieve no more than 80% of that stash ,a large amount of cogitative process must take place to undertake such a task . :D

There is a particular species of bird in Scotland, the name escape's me ,annualy it burie,s over 30,000 seed's in designated location,s ,when winter come's they retrieve no more than 80% of that stash ,a large amount of cogitative process must take place to undertake such a task . :o

So, do they build little grain silos and try to keep other birds away, or do they scatter it everywhere and then spend the winter randomly pecking for seeds? I've seen people with about the same organizational skills, so I am still not sure what this says about cognition. :D

:o

There is a particular species of bird in Scotland, the name escape's me ,annualy it burie,s over 30,000 seed's in designated location,s ,when winter come's they retrieve no more than 80% of that stash ,a large amount of cogitative process must take place to undertake such a task . :D

So, do they build little grain silos and try to keep other birds away, or do they scatter it everywhere and then spend the winter randomly pecking for seeds? I've seen people with about the same organizational skills, so I am still not sure what this says about cognition. :D

That's just silly ( building grain silos ) birds have no hand's.

They dig little hole's and put a single seed in side ,maybe they use some kind of marker, it could be a mental or physical indicator.

If dogs could communicate in human languages, I wonder what they would say about their owners who left them in the street. :D

Sadly, they would probably try to explain to you how their owners had not _really_ left them on the street, but rather had to go take care of their sick mother. The owners would be back any minute now, for romps in the park and a nice rub behind the ears. After all, they and their owners have a special bond.

Again, I cannot really tell whether this answers the original question of whether dogs are aware or not... :o

If dogs could communicate in human languages, I wonder what they would say about their owners who left them in the street. :D

Sadly, they would probably try to explain to you how their owners had not _really_ left them on the street, but rather had to go take care of their sick mother. The owners would be back any minute now, for romps in the park and a nice rub behind the ears. After all, they and their owners have a special bond.

Again, I cannot really tell whether this answers the original question of whether dogs are aware or not... :o

Yes we have moved away from the topic abit ,sorry the dog speaking reply went to the wrong place.

I feel they are aware just in there own way ,only the dogie's know the truth.

Thanks for you'r input the dog. :D

Thank you for that honest and informative reply,i admire you'r independence and stand allone attributes.Good stuf.... :D

Dogs dont think.....they act purely from instinct in the wild and from training in the domesticated world. They recognise some sounds like their name because it is repeated to them so many times. I think it was Pavlov who tested this theory many many years ago. he waited till a dog was hungry then rang a bell and fed it.....after doing this a few times....he rang the bell soon after feeding the dog and the dog came back for more food. the dog had developed a conditioned response and became hungry when it heard the bell even though it had just eaten.

Dogs seem to be aware of certain things but once again it is from instinct or conditioned response. But funnily enough they do dream ???