Bangkok’s New Rapid Bus Services To Start Soon

george

Bangkok’s new rapid bus services to start soon

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok’s first new Rapid Bus Transit (BRT) service routes are expected to be launched later this year, the city’s Governor, Apirak Kosayothin, told TNA on Wednesday.

BRT vehicle passenger capacity will be 125 cars, Mr. Apirak said, after an inspection tour of the construction site.

The new BRT service is one of the Democrat governor’s election promises in last year’s election campaign.

The first bus route of nearly 20 km will begin from Navamin Road passing Kasetsart Intersection and end at the Mo Chit bus terminal.

The second route will begin from Chong Nonsee through Rama III area and ends at the Ratchaphruek area, on Bangkok's Thon Buri side.

In the next phase, the service will be extended from Navamin Road to Ram Intra area and the second route from Chong Nonsee to Silom Road, he said.

--TNA 2005-03-24

I wouldn't have believed it too, till I tried the one in Jakarta.

Traffic jams on every other lane- but the Rapid Bus sails down the centre aisle in splendid isolation .

If the useless Indonesians can make it work then certainly Thailand can.

Give this a chance.

In Korea, the Rapid Buslane is good for the busses but screws up the whole road. First it takes 4 lanes at the bus stop, a loading lane and passing lane for each side, and then goes to 2 lanes. This causes the middle car lane to always merge into the next lane at bus stops. 2ndly there's more pedestrian traffic crossing the street, I've waited for 4 minutes for all the people waiting at the light to get across. There's other hassles and I just avoided the streets with these.