Where To Get Your Helmet Painted?

FrankT

I know only one shop capable of painting helmets in Thailand http://www.thaiairbrush.com

But I would recommend that you look for some skin for the helmet, as I was once told that painting a helmet will have effect on the safety of the helmet. If you want to paint the helmet because it was damaged, I would serious consider buying a new helmet.

I remember seeing something a while back on West Coast Choppers or some show like that...they said you have to be really careful when getting a helmet painted because there's only one type of paint that won't weaken the helmet itself. Can't remember the type of paint, but it's evidently not used by very many airbrush guys.

I've seen some articles over the years that show how the paint fumes eat the foam and that's why helmets should never be painted.

Supposedly it can be done safely, but I would never trust anyone to do it right especially in this country.

I'm sure if you research it more online you'll find that painting may be a bad idea.

Does anybody knwo a good address where I can get my helmet painted? Obviously without affecting the quality and safety of the helmet.

Pleased to hear.

Thanks

Frank

Have you thought of covering it with coloured latex rubber? can be bought in most pharmacies

My website has been mentioned above Thai Airbrush.

Back in the day most helmets were made of polycarbonate and most paints were solvent ie cellulose. The solvent would weaken the polycarbonate ergo it was not safe to paint helmets. With the introduction of water based paints and fiberglass/kevlar/etc mix on helmets this is no longer a problem. The helmet still has to be masked correctly as the interior can be damaged from paint as rightly said previously in this thread.

I have been airbrushing for over 20 years, was an Arai approved painter in the UK and have painted helmets for Tom Sykes, Franchetti, Paul Tracy, Rob Herring etc etc. I also did a very brief stint at Troy Lee Designs studio in Orange County. I'll have a bash at it if you want :)

Index helmets are still made of polycarbonate, says it on the tag. The graphics on an Index is a pvc sticker. Technically you can prime over the sticker and paint it and it should be ok.The sticker should provide a barrier so the paint never makes contact with the polycarbonate shell.

Index helmets are still made of polycarbonate, says it on the tag. The graphics on an Index is a pvc sticker. Technically you can prime over the sticker and paint it and it should be ok.The sticker should provide a barrier so the paint never makes contact with the polycarbonate shell.

Technically the index should not have a sticker on it as the adhesives are a light solvent so will in time weaken the helmet. Not a good choice in my opinion. And with regard to painting over the sticker? Well then your adhesion will only be as good as the lifetime of the sticker, not the way to go with paint: that is if the PVC doesn't "pickle" the clear coat as 2k can be quite fickle.

Edited by tatt2dude

My website has been mentioned above Thai Airbrush.

Back in the day most helmets were made of polycarbonate and most paints were solvent ie cellulose. The solvent would weaken the polycarbonate ergo it was not safe to paint helmets. With the introduction of water based paints and fiberglass/kevlar/etc mix on helmets this is no longer a problem. The helmet still has to be masked correctly as the interior can be damaged from paint as rightly said previously in this thread.

I have been airbrushing for over 20 years, was an Arai approved painter in the UK and have painted helmets for Tom Sykes, Franchetti, Paul Tracy, Rob Herring etc etc. I also did a very brief stint at Troy Lee Designs studio in Orange County. I'll have a bash at it if you want :D

whwre are you based in thailand tatt2dude ?? u do bikes too :) can u compete with the thai airbrush artists price wise ???????

Edited by barrybike

• 4 months later...

Gunga. do you honestly think that will stop them taking ya helmet off........... I very much doubt it. but then again from past experience they are just as likely to leave you lying there when they see you are a farang (or maybe steal ya phone)

Tatt2dude.

could you do 2 neon stickers with my name, blood group and the words

"IN CASE OF ACCIDENT, DO NOT REMOVE HELMET" in Thai. ?

Onto a "REAL" helmet. :D

GD, Probably best you have a similar marking placed on your body as well, that way they will know which piece goes where. :)

Enough with the posing. Better to remove paint in large irregular splotches and put on some el-cheapo helmet stickers to discourage helmet thieves. They don't like old cheap-looking helmets.

Edited by JSixpack