Another Urban Myth Or

PhilHarries

Last week as I was passing back through Thailand a colleague told me of a new "check" he came across when leaving the UK. Apparently there were officials (police/customs?) with sniffer dogs checking the passengers at the gate for money (cash). If more than a certain amount of cash was discovered, 5,000 GBP I vaguely recall he mentioned, and the passenger could not provide documentary proof of where and how they obtained the money it was confiscated, with receipt, or the passenger could stay back and try and prove their case.

I don't know for sure what airport he used but believe it was LHR. I certainly saw nothing like it on my departure and was just wondering if anyone else had heard of this or has direct experience.

I would normally pass this off as another traveller's tale but the guy in question is a pretty solid guy not normally given to b*llsh*tting. However having been in the situation of wanting to withdraw significant funds from the bank in cash I know just how much hassle it can be and very little surprises me with the cr*p that is encountered just going about a normal day in the UK these days

Just google "money sniffing dog", there's some references to it.

I think a better solution should be to hire some bar girls from Pattaya.

They can smell the money before the plane even lands. :)

Edited by PoorSucker

A few years ago I read an article in the German press that German customs use money sniffer dogs at the land border. Somebody carrying an unusually high amount of cash can keep it, but once back home he will be requested to do some explaining.

The sniffer dog would also detect the wad of cash if it would be hidden in a barrel filled with pla ra.....sometimes nature still beats technique.

Edited by keestha