Passport Returned No Visa ?

Hi there sorry i cant find what i'm looking for and wonder if anybody can help.

We sent of for my wifes flr, we were asked to go to glasgow and get her id card done, which we did.

Today i have recieved our documents back , her passport has no new visa , but have a letter saying that her id card will be with in her in the next 7 days .

My question is , is the id card, the visa now , or have they not put it on her passport . Ther's nothing to say its been refused. I'm confussed .

thanks in advance for any help on this Jamie

Hi,

Yes thats correct the ID card is basically the visa.

Does that mean that there's nothing in the actual passport to confirm the person has the right to enter and live in the UK?

If so I could foresee possible problems when trying to check in for a flight to return to the UK (from a holiday for example). If there's no obvious right to enter the UK, and they're not familiar with the ID system, surely some airlines in some parts of the world won't want to allow her to board the plane.

Or am I just confused?

Hi,

Yes thats correct the ID card is basically the visa.

Does that mean that there's nothing in the actual passport to confirm the person has the right to enter and live in the UK?

If so I could foresee possible problems when trying to check in for a flight to return to the UK (from a holiday for example). If there's no obvious right to enter the UK, and they're not familiar with the ID system, surely some airlines in some parts of the world won't want to allow her to board the plane.

Or am I just confused?

That was also my concern

The id card will have her immigration status on it, the same as the old visa vignette, so your wife should keep it with her passport and show it to the airline and UK immigration if required.

idcardfront.jpg

idcardback.jpg

See Identity cards for foreign nationals.

To be honest, I didn't think that id cards were being issued to those applying for FLR as the spouse of a British citizen/resident yet.

Edited by 7by7

The id card will have her immigration status on it, the same as the old visa vignette, so your wife should keep it with her passport and show it to the airline and UK immigration if required.

idcardfront.jpg

idcardback.jpg

To be honest, I didn't think that id cards were being issued to those applying for FLR as the spouse of a British citizen/resident yet.

7by7, I understand that the visa information is on the ID cards, I just think that if the UK are going to be using a different system to the rest of the world (ie: not putting the visa in the passport, but putting it on an ID card that the rest of the world may also not be familiar with seeing, and therefore know if it's genuine or not) it could cause confusion because airline staff may be reluctant to check in people travelling to the UK if there isn't an obvious 'right to enter the UK' in their passport.

Surely it can't cost that much to add the visa in the passport as well.

7by7, I understand that the visa information is on the ID cards, I just think that if the UK are going to be using a different system to the rest of the world (ie: not putting the visa in the passport, but putting it on an ID card that the rest of the world may also not be familiar with seeing, and therefore know if it's genuine or not) it could cause confusion because airline staff may be reluctant to check in people travelling to the UK if there isn't an obvious 'right to enter the UK' in their passport.

The US has been doing this for many decades. When I had a permanent resident visa (green card), this was the card which airlines asked for. There was no visa stamped in the passport. So airlines etc. should not be unfamiliar with such a system.

idcardfront.jpg

idcardback.jpg

It's all part of the goverments plan to introduce compulsary I.D. cards for everybody in the UK, this is the first step, devious scumbags.

Brigante7.

Going slightly off topic, I know, but I personally cannot see what is wrong with having compulsory ID cards. Most countries, including Thailand, have them, and my parents told me that this country had them during the war; no one complained and many were surprised when they were done away with after the war.

I can see their advantages.

For example, my 19 year old daughter has no desire to learn to drive, so does not have a driving licence. This means she has to take her passport with her whenever she goes out with her friends or she wont be allowed into most pubs or clubs because she can't prove she's over 18. An ID card would solve this. (Door staff wont accept her Thai ID card as it shows her date of birth in the Buddhist calender!)

Having said that, the complicated and expensive way this government is going about it is typical of that bunch of idiots. If an ID card is going to be compulsory it should be issued for a minimal fee, or better still; be free.

Going slightly off topic, I know, but I personally cannot see what is wrong with having compulsory ID cards. Most countries, including Thailand, have them, and my parents told me that this country had them during the war; no one complained and many were surprised when they were done away with after the war.

For example, my 19 year old daughter has no desire to learn to drive, so does not have a driving licence. This means she has to take her passport with her whenever she goes out with her friends or she wont be allowed into most pubs or clubs because she can't prove she's over 18. An ID card would solve this. (Door staff wont accept her Thai ID card as it shows her date of birth in the Buddhist calender!)

Having said that, the complicated and expensive way this government is going about it is typical of that bunch of idiots. If an ID card is going to be compulsory it should be issued for a minimal fee, or better still; be free.

I agree , Only people that are up to no good are worried about ID cards in the UK,

Agree with you totally. On my second visit to Thailand about 15 years ago my wife and I lived in an army sergeants house inside the army camp in Chonburi for a few months. All Thai civilians entering the camp had to leave their ID cards at the gatehouse and get a pass to enter. Because I didn't have one and all the army personel 'new the farang anyway' I was able to come and go as I pleased without even showing ID but I always got the same reaction when I told people we didn't have an ID card in the UK. When asked how anybody (not just the police but also places like banks, hospitals, doctors, local authorities, the electric/phone/water companies, etc) knew who I was I would explain we just told them. Through laughs the reply was usually something like 'and they just believe you without any proof?'. They couldn't believe how 'open to abuse' the UK system was and all said they prefered having ID cards.

7by7

Your daughter can apply for a provisional driving licence and use that for I.D. and she doesn't have to learn to drive.

People didn't complain about I.D. cards during the war because there was no ulterior motive by the goverment of the time unlike today.

Thomgkorn

Don't give me the "If people have nothing to hide" routine that's a very poor reason to introduce compulsory I.D. cards, there is no need for them in this country, at any one time I can produce at least 7 forms of I.D. We have more cctv cameras in this country than any other on the planet, why do we need I.D. cards?

Brigante7.

7by7

Your daughter can apply for a provisional driving licence and use that for I.D. and she doesn't have to learn to drive.

As an ex driving instructor I got her a provisional licence for her 17th birthday, unfortunately, as said, she shows no desire to learn to drive. As an ex driving instructor I am aware that many places will not accept a provisional licence as proof of age or identity; I don't know why. The attitude of all pub and club door staff round this way is full licence, yes; provisional, no!

People didn't complain about I.D. cards during the war because there was no ulterior motive by the government of the time unlike today.

So, what is this ulterior motive, then?

These days there are many situations where one is required to prove one's identity. For example, opening a bank account, applying for credit, even if applying for a job one has to prove one is entitled to work in the UK! Having a national ID card would do away with the various other bits of paper, such as one's birth certificate, one currently has to search for. You may say that one could use one's passport. True, but what is a passport other than an official proof of identity, and not everyone has a passport anyway.

BTW, the killers of Jamie Bulger would not of been convicted were it not for evidence from CCTV. How many similar crimes have been prevented because of the presence of these cameras, we cannot know. But if it is just one then this justifies them in my view.

7by7

As an ex driving instructor I got her a provisional licence for her 17th birthday, unfortunately, as said, she shows no desire to learn to drive. As an ex driving instructor I am aware that many places will not accept a provisional licence as proof of age or identity; I don't know why. The attitude of all pub and club door staff round this way is full licence, yes; provisional, no!

People didn't complain about I.D. cards during the war because there was no ulterior motive by the government of the time unlike today.

So, what is this ulterior motive, then?

These days there are many situations where one is required to prove one's identity. For example, opening a bank account, applying for credit, even if applying for a job one has to prove one is entitled to work in the UK! Having a national ID card would do away with the various other bits of paper, such as one's birth certificate, one currently has to search for. You may say that one could use one's passport. True, but what is a passport other than an official proof of identity, and not everyone has a passport anyway.

BTW, the killers of Jamie Bulger would not of been convicted were it not for evidence from CCTV. How many similar crimes have been prevented because of the presence of these cameras, we cannot know. But if it is just one then this justifies them in my view.

The ulterior motive is that this goverment wants to know everything about everybody and wants as much info as possible on an I.D. card. I was just reading today that the new census in 2011 will ask about your house, how many bedrooms you have, who has stayed there (Including name, age, sex, date of birth and adress), how well the residents can speak English, what kind of central heating system you have installed, if they aren't devious then what do you call it.

I never realised that most pubs & clubs won't accept a provisional licence as I.D. very strange.

I've no problem with CCTV in places like shopping centres and such but I've read many times that CCTV cameras don't reduce crime, it just means that the offenders might get caught after the fact.

Brigante7.

Further to my above post it seems that the UK dictatorship are saying that all workers are paedophiles and as such will have to submit to a criminal background (CRB) check, sounds like the work of a caring trusting goverment with no ulterior motive, what do you think?

Brigante7.

idcardfront.jpg

idcardback.jpg

Wiffee has one of those big RED Right of Abode stamps in her Thai Passport but everytime she leaves LOS the check in staff get into a tizzie.....PP in her Thai name.

"please wait we gotta check"....most have never seen one....visions of being fined £10,000 quid for ilegal departure. :D

Anyway quick flash of her UK/EU PP gets the smiles back quickly :D

Just mentioned the new ID cards for Foreign Nationals and she says couple of her friends have got one...well I never....quick these lassies ..

Anyway I think they are a GREAT Idea and roll on everybody having one ....Bah Humbug to the little Englanders...

bit peng right enough. :)

Brigante7, one of the census's purposes is to collect statistical data to help decide what public services are needed, and I see nothing wrong in any of the questions you have noted. BTW, they don't want to know everybody who has ever stayed at your house; merely those there overnight on the actual day of the census's, same as in 2001, 1991, 1981 etc.

If CCTV helps to catch criminals, then it is worth it, in my opinion.

Those working with children currently usually have to provide a CRB check, and as it protects children what's wrong with that? Are you saying that all employees, no matter what their job, will in future need a CRB check? If so, can you provide a link to this rule?

Brigante7, one of the census's purposes is to collect statistical data to help decide what public services are needed, and I see nothing wrong in any of the questions you have noted. BTW, they don't want to know everybody who has ever stayed at your house; merely those there overnight on the actual day of the census's, same as in 2001, 1991, 1981 etc.

If CCTV helps to catch criminals, then it is worth it, in my opinion.

Those working with children currently usually have to provide a CRB check, and as it protects children what's wrong with that? Are you saying that all employees, no matter what their job, will in future need a CRB check? If so, can you provide a link to this rule?

Sorry I meant to say that it was only the people who are staying overnight on the day of the census, it's none of the goverments business who is staying at my house on the day of the census as long as nobody is breaking the law, and if somebody is breaking the law then there CCTV cameras will catch them, so what are they worried about?

CCTV was meant to prevent crime, not solve it, and as such is a failure

Yes all employees will need a CRB check in the near future, I'm sorry I don't have the link anymore, it was on my Yahoo homepage.

Brigante7

Edited by Brigante7

what do you think?
I think this is the visa's forum, what do you think?
Yes all employees will need a CRB check in the near future,

As far as I am aware, the new regs are solely to do with employers, or parents that have access to children, not all employers.

Here's a Link

It should open the page you want.

what do you think?
I think this is the visa's forum, what do you think?

Indeed.

I'm well aware that it was me that first started to take this thread off topic; but this is a visa forum, not one for discussion of British politics.

Time to end it, I think.