Crackdown On Criminal Ladyboys

george

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, it is shameful that the US-Navy advertises so openly that the main reason for them to come to Thailand is Rest & Recreation.

In normal diplomatic wording it should have been called a courtesy visit from the US-Navy to Thailand.

According to my wife and father in law, and myself, the Vietnam era is long gone, and the US should behave like any respectful state.

Advertising the R&R so blatantly is very degrading for the Thai people.

what nonsence

What a crock of s**t. What is wrong with R & R - it is exactly what they are here for. How is it a courtesy visit? Its party time and the lady boys will also be welcome for many of the crews... Get a life!

QUESTION: For all of you folks pissing on the USN visit, have you ever contributed or participated in the community like these sailors? Get a grip. Better yet, get a life.

Sorry Mr. G but I googled "US Military R&R Crimes" and 80 trillion entries appeared. As an American, I didn't want to belive it, but the the TV Anti US crowd is 100% correct as most of these US navy guys carry sub machine guns and don't hesitate to use them. And those are the nice guys...

Well, anyway, US military personnel are mostly career minded and therefore well behaved when on leave. In the past, the US had large numbers of conscripts who really didn't want to be in the service and acted accordingly.

If the Internet existed in Roman times, these same type of discussions would be occuring, with posters complaining about legionaires. At different periods in history the same for Persians, Greeks, Egyptians, Chinese, Mongols, English, Spanish, Germans, French...

Back on topic, the Lady boy "Crack Down" is probably more window dresssing for public consumption as in The Thai authorities are proactive and dealing with this problem.

Whatever :)

Edited by Lancelot

Again, it is shameful that the US-Navy advertises so openly that the main reason for them to come to Thailand is Rest & Recreation.

In normal diplomatic wording it should have been called a courtesy visit from the US-Navy to Thailand.

According to my wife and father in law, and myself, the Vietnam era is long gone, and the US should behave like any respectful state.

There is nothing shameful in the term R & R, it is a worldwide standard military phrase for a period off duty for service personnel to relax and recuperate. Whilst British Troops deployed to Northern Ireland for a 4 months tour we would have a period of R & R to either fly back to relax with our Families or the single personnel would go to their selected leave address. No doubt because Thailand, R & R and Service Personnel have all been used in the same sentence the vision of young red-blooded men (mostly) taking advantage of the services offered by some of the lovely Thai young ladies (and no doubt ladyboys) springs to mind. That my friend is a fact of life and happens the world over and not just in Thailand. :)

I agree with this. The only reason this idea is getting so much negative reaction on this forum is because many posters here probably met their wives in this 'R&R'. The US knows exactly what's going on here, the generals made a probably explicit deal with the Thai government for their men to get sex in exchange for supporting thai tourism. It's absolutely disgusting and enforces popular notions of the military as low class scumbags. Let me ask this, if the navy guys are so innocent, why don't we just give them a bunch of booze and have them R&R in some nice isolated national park? Oh I forgot, bars are 'more fun' for obvious reasons. I rest my case.

Sven, why do you not take the time to actually read what hansnl objected to? Calling it R&R or Courtesy Visit does little to change the action of the Naval personnel which will visit Patong. Further hansnl attributed the term R&R to the US Navy, but the term was used by the Phuket Gazette.  

What conflict has the US ever won without the assistance of it friends.

I don't condone all the military campaigns the US has fought and won, but the nonsense above begs clarification. For starters, the US has won every war it's engaged in, except the Vietnam war. The current wars aren't resolved yet, so the jury is still out on them.

There have been several historical conflicts where the US, though assisted to some degree by other countries, took on the lion's share of responsibilities and by doing so, suffered the major portion of deaths and injuries.

The Pacific theater in WWII comes to mind. On-the-field supporters were relatively few in number and were either defeated at the outset (the British) or stayed close to their homeland (the Aussies).

As for other notable wars won by Uncle Sam with little or no outside assistance, there were the two times within a 35 year span that the British were forced to retreat from North America's eastern sea board with their tails between their legs.

Edited by brahmburgers

What conflict has the US ever won without the assistance of it friends.

I don't condone all the military campaigns the US has fought and won, but the nonsense above begs clarification. For starters, the US has won every war it's engaged in, except the Vietnam war. The current wars aren't resolved yet, so the jury is still out on them.

There have been several historical conflicts where the US, though assisted to some degree by other countries, took on the lion's share of responsibilities and by doing so, suffered the major portion of deaths and injuries.

The Pacific theater in WWII comes to mind. On-the-field supporters were relatively few in number and were either defeated at the outset (the British) or stayed close to their homeland (the Aussies).

As for other notable wars won by Uncle Sam with little or no outside assistance, there were the two times within a 35 year span that the British were forced to retreat from North America's eastern sea board with their tails between their legs.

In each war there are only losers, no winners.

The so called winner of World War II, Great-Britain, lost its Empire.

And look to what happened to the so called losers of World War II, Germany and Japan.

It should be a lesson in modesty.

The British were never defeated in WWII and the Aussies were not cowards as you are suggesting and stayed close to the comforts of home. The Australians were fighting across Europe as well as right across the Asia / Pacific region. This just goes to prove that Americans have very little knowledge of world history just the brain washing American education that they receive about how Americans save the world and without the idiots the world would be lost. I bet you didn't even know that Australia was attacked in WWII or that the Japanese even made it to Sydney but were repelled by Aussies alone. There is another world outside of the USA. No wonder the entire world hates the Americans with thier self scented godly attitude and they way they think that the rest of the world can't survive without them putting thier noses in.

Has to be the Thai Visa drivel post of the year. :)

The British were never defeated in WWII and the Aussies were not cowards as you are suggesting and stayed close to the comforts of home. The Australians were fighting across Europe as well as right across the Asia / Pacific region. This just goes to prove that Americans have very little knowledge of world history just the brain washing American education that they receive about how Americans save the world and without the idiots the world would be lost. I bet you didn't even know that Australia was attacked in WWII or that the Japanese even made it to Sydney but were repelled by Aussies alone. There is another world outside of the USA. No wonder the entire world hates the Americans with thier self scented godly attitude and they way they think that the rest of the world can't survive without them putting thier noses in.

This us vs. them is really, really ridiculous.

You infer that you know the history of WWII and that American don't. Your post indicates that you might not be too well versed in hsitory, either. Actually, yes, the British were defeated at Singapore, and the Aussies were not widespread throughout the Pacific. The Americans and Filipinos were also defeated in the Philippines as were the Dutch in Indonesia. So what is your point? And your point about the mini-sub attack in Sydney Harbor is what? (And British sailors were killed in that attack,) A better example would be the attack on Darwin, but once again, so what? The fact of the matter is that the largest share of the burden in the Pacific was carried by the US with a very late entry by the Soviets. This while the British and Australians were more heavily involved in Europe (not that Australia was even big enough to provide the amount of troops that more populous nations provided even if they did provide a huge percentage og troops when compared to the population).

I write this not to take credit for any theater of the war. I sure didn't fight in WWII. But don't cast stones at the US with faulty history. The US did not shoulder the biggest burden of WWII. The USSR paid the biggest price and had perhaps the biggest credit for the defeat of Germany, for sure, and a significant amount of credit for the defeat of Japan. But that takes nothing away from all the other nations who also contributed.

"criminal"

Sorry, I missed what the crime was.

Since when have Thais needed "papers" when traveling around? Yes, an ID card but what about the "employment card" and papers?

OK so probably some prostitution. What about all the other sex workers in Phuket and their bar gangs?

What about the other problems in Phuket like the JET SKY SCAMMERS which take thousands of dollars off these sailors when ever their ship docs in? However, the police usually "help" negotiate here. And no if you watch youtube these jet sky scammers are for real not reality TV as the police like to say......pathetic.

This is a prejudiced article and visa.com should show some maturity about the title even if it is from another news organisation

hmmm, I dont understand why it is degrading for the Thai people. Like everybody on our lovely planet know, THAILAND IS THE BIGGEST WHORE HOUSE IN THE WORLD...nothing to be ashamed off, it brought a lot of money to the country and still does.

While the Bangkok people still give a sh1t of the Isanees, they took care of themselfs and in the future years it will become more and more independent, not at least because of some clever Isaan Ladys or ladyboys and not to forget some stupid farangs :)

Its not that easy to yell STOP NOW. Who was shouting STOP 30 years ago?????

"criminal"

Sorry, I missed what the crime was.

Since when have Thais needed "papers" when traveling around? Yes, an ID card but what about the "employment card" and papers?

OK so probably some prostitution. What about all the other sex workers in Phuket and their bar gangs?

What about the other problems in Phuket like the JET SKY SCAMMERS which take thousands of dollars off these sailors when ever their ship docs in? However, the police usually "help" negotiate here. And no if you watch youtube these jet sky scammers are for real not reality TV as the police like to say......pathetic.

This is a prejudiced article and visa.com should show some maturity about the title even if it is from another news organisation

Thailand is not like back home people. The government can and do what it deems necissary to protect itself, and Phuket is a special place unto itself, and Patong is completely over run with Ladyboys now. I'm not condoning human right violations, but I am not really surprised that after identifying a problem with the Ladyboy crime, (and it is a problem) they have issued this warning. I have seen ladyboys get out hand many times in Phuket. Recently I witnessed one very touchy LB get into a brawl with a couple young tourists at a bar and was arrested. The pushy solicitations of the street walkers are a major annoyance, and illegal, (as are those from many of the real girls, to be fair) I am pretty open minded and accepting person, and I don't consider myself a homophob, but I do have issue with Thai men who are dressed like women and may or may not have had their thingy chopped off sidling up next to me and "taking liberties" with me when I don't wish them to. All the while hoping I am ignorant enough or gay enough to take them home. My GF, a hotel manager, is the one who has to deal with the inevitable aftermath the next morning when some punter realizes Ms. Somchai is actually Mr. Somchai and now he doesn't want to pay, and is probably hoping nobody finds out he just slept with a man.

Having said that, I know of some very pleasant, gainfully employed ladyboys, and I have no problem whatsover with them. I don't have issue with transgenders or transexuals. People should have the freedom to look the gender they feel on the inside. It's the actions I disprove of, not the concept. (Although I believe the decision for the working ladyboy to transgender are more often made with a financial gain in mind than a "gender correction")

And twice now I see people posting "what about the jet ski scammers!". You people need to read the news more often. They were forced to get insurance and thus their primary mode of scamming is being eliminated. (Lets hope!)

Excuse me, please. What's wrong with R&R? In other words: no difference from others making holidays at the beach site. Sure, the behavior matters. But there're always to parties: the seller and the buyer. THINK.

:D Please pardon us plain spoken people from the colonies, I know we should all go to EATON to learn how to behave in the proper way. :)

I have witnessed how your countrymen behave in Thailand :D . You sir should be ashamed of their disrespect of Thailand and its people. The pompous

words of your post are classic British BS. American troops are the best behaved visitors to Thailand or they will be punished. Just ask a Thai.

What "Eaton" is that? Another product of USA education? I've had the misfortune to see them teaching "English" in Thailand

That is an interesting but fair point.

I agree 100% that this is very degrading and disrespectful to ALL Thai people....

Shame on you America!!

I haven't been pissing on the USN but I have worked in Thailand as a volunteer on a couple of occasions .. for free .. I wasn't being paid by Uncle Sam. Not saying they will not be doing any community work .. but lets thank the US government for paying them to do it.

Wrong. They volunteer their time off ship to do their volunteer work, i.e.: they are off duty. When the Reagan was here a bunch of them painted or built houses for the poor.

marsteele, I understand your frustration, I even share it to a degree, however you, like so many, confuse American politics with the American people. One of the reasons it was easy for me to leave the states was because I was so disgusted and angry at what our government has become. A lot of my friends were feeling the same way. It is getting better now though, but we have a long way to go before we repair the damage. No one can deny America is an imperial hubris that has quietly, and sometimes not so quitly, manipulated much of the world into supporting it's unfettered consumerism and low gas prices. It's going to take a sea change of lifestyle changes to correct, but I think we are heading in a better direction than we were a year ago.

And BTW, our education system doesn't brain wash us, Hollywood does. That's where we learn most of our history anyway.

With all due respect the Australians have fought alongside the Americans and in every war ampitheatre across the world.

We fought in France, Germany, Italy, Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, Iran, Irak, and Afghanistan. Is that close to home. No, I bet you are american and talking up your country with typical Amercican bull <deleted>. When our special forces give up on Americas wars that Americans create people like you and the wars your country create will be screaming for help from countries like Australia. America the land of big mouth and bull <deleted> politics.

That is really great to hear. They actually care about us. Well, I'm not a Marine but I think if it were 3,000 of me all going to Phuket they would do the same thing. I always thought the Thai's took a Darwinian approach to this sort of thing and turned a blind-eye to those looking to take advantage of foreigners. My opinion of the Thai's has just changed a little bit for the better. Well done!

With all due respect the Australians have fought alongside the Americans and in every war ampitheatre across the world.

We fought in France, Germany, Italy, Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, Iran, Irak, and Afghanistan. Is that close to home. No, I bet you are american and talking up your country with typical Amercican bull <deleted>. When our special forces give up on Americas wars that Americans create people like you and the wars your country create will be screaming for help from countries like Australia. America the land of big mouth and bull <deleted> politics.

With all due respect back, and I disagree with posters who contend that the US alone and unaided defeated the Axis powers, brahmburgers stipulated in his post the Pacific Theater where other than Papua new Guinea and the coast watchers, Australian forces were more oriented to the European Theater once the initial Japanese attacks were successful and the Allied offensive against them began. And there is certainly nothing wrong about that.

But of your list of wars fought by Australia, which you infer were caused by the Americans, other than Iraq, which of those you listed were in fact American-started?

I have complete admiration for Australia and the sacrifices it has made in war. But this is a thread about the Thai police cracking down on ladyboys for the perceived threat they pose to law-and-order, and I have no respect for posters who try and use this topic to justify mindless and arrogant attacks on the USA.

Posters should try to keep a little more on topic and a little less on USA-bashing.

If one steps back from this fracas and looks at some of the comments, this thread has become pathetic. Bashing the USN for a peaceful visit. It's not like the express intent is to come exploit the populace. Would the same people condemning these sailors condemn the cruise line passengers that descend on Phuket? In this case, the USN is giving back in social activity. Cruise line PAX don't. How come the same people bemoaning the USN visit did not complain when the Indian navy or the Australian navy visited a few months ago?

The USN provides a valuable presence in the area. Without going into the need for the visit to Indonesia and East Timor, a hotspot that is proximate to AUstralia and New Zealand, but the USN acs to provide stability and visited the region in support of the efforts of Australia to maintain regional stability. This isn't about Australia and the USA at loggerheads, but is about cooperation and support of Australia trying to keep things calm. If the USN is able to pull into Patong for a couple days, after a successful peace keeping mission, good for the USN as it's a well deserved rest. If the USN pulls out of the region, there will be other entities that will quickly move in. What people forget is that the USN works in close cooperation with the navies of Australia, Canada New Zealand and others and is a much needed presence. Before this comment is dismissed, please note that last week the Canadians intercepted a boatload of suspected Tamil Tiger terrorists trying to sneak into Canada. The tip off came courtesy of the Australian navy with intelligence contributions from the USN. Had there not been such activity in the region, Canada would now be home to 75+ presumed killers that had entered illegally. This is why there is a presence in the region. The heroin flowing out of Afghanistan that finances the Taliban makes its way to Australia and west coast North America via the pacific shipping routes. If it wasn't for the presence of multiple navies, the situation would be worse, as would ship hijackings and sea piracy. As well, the USN provides a valuable rapid response to natural disaster capability. If those sailors have to work the pacific, then they certainly have the right to disembark for a few days.

There is plenty to dislike about the US military, but a well run visit is hardly the place to start. The shame is that the nutters are using this thread as an excuse to push their imagined grievances. The bottom line is this: The USN personnel will be far better behaved and will do more for Phuket than the typical yob that oozes off the Air Asia or JetStar junket package.

2500 walking Atms a day, I bet the locals are rubbing there little hands.

However for the Thais who don't like the idea they can always complain to their local goverment officials, Im sure something can be done.

Maybe they can tell then so stay on there ship lest they corrupt the locals, NOT!

Dream on! Phuket was build in its present location for a reason.

Ladyboys wont be the only ones going there to make a quick Baht,and my cristal ball sees a jetski getting damaged.

Edited by MRDave

We fought in France, Germany, Italy, Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, Iran, Irak, and Afghanistan. Is that close to home. No, I bet you are american and talking up your country with typical Amercican bull <deleted>.

whoa nellie. I didn't know the Aussies were so thin-skinned and quick to twist the parameters of what's being discussed. If you look at my post you'll see it specifically referred to Aussie participation in the Pacific theater of WWII. Yes Australia was active militarily in New Guinea, but let us know where they waged a military campaign further afield during the war against the Japanese? If I'm wrong, I'll admit it.

It wasn't an attempt to denigrate the Aussies, but instead a response to an earlier post which claimed the US never fought a war without substantial outside assistance.

As for Aussies participating in other conflicts at other times, I have no doubt they were as active and courageous as any other participants.

As for the Brits, got to love 'em and they're also courageous, but again, in regard to the Pacific theater of WWII, their relatively small forces were defeated at the outset (primarily on the sea off the east coast of Malaya, and at Singapore). Again, it's no denigration of them as a fighting force, it's simply a statement of historical fact.

If I wanted to denigrate a fighting force during that sad period of human history, I could certainly find juicier targets.

Edited by brahmburgers

Sorry Mr. G but I googled "US Military R&R Crimes" and 80 trillion entries appeared. As an American, I didn't want to belive it, but the the TV Anti US crowd is 100% correct as most of these US navy guys carry sub machine guns and don't hesitate to use them. And those are the nice guys...

Well, anyway, US military personnel are mostly career minded and therefore well behaved when on leave. In the past, the US had large numbers of conscripts who really didn't want to be in the service and acted accordingly.

If the Internet existed in Roman times, these same type of discussions would be occuring, with posters complaining about legionaires. At different periods in history the same for Persians, Greeks, Egyptians, Chinese, Mongols, English, Spanish, Germans, French...

Back on topic, the Lady boy "Crack Down" is probably more window dresssing for public consumption as in The Thai authorities are proactive and dealing with this problem.

Whatever :)

Results 1 - 10 of about 104,000 for US Military R&R Crimes. (0.53 seconds) :D

Pretty low for a Google search :D

Whatever :D

Thailand thrives on sex tourism. The Thai government knows it. The US government knows it. All of those sailors know it. Nobody cares. Everybody is happy. Think about it. If you were on a ship for six months with 3,000 other guys, where would you want to go on your vacation? It wouldn't be going home to see your mother. Time to go get hammered and bang bar girls in Phuket. Perfect. Ready for another six months Captain!