Helpful Thai People

billd766

I was driving up from Bangkok last night in my wifes car when it broke down around km 147 up from Sing Buri.

It was either fuel or ignition and after finding some odd (rusty) tools I established that it was a fuel problem and most likely a broken fuel pump.

In the 15 minutes that passed 5 Thai drivers stopped to see if they could help and a young guy of about 23 passed me by then did a u-turn and came back. He stayed with me to help. He called his friend but nothing came of that then we both went up to the gas station for cold drinks and then went back to the car where he called his family to get someone to call out a rescue truck which arrived a bit later. He then followed us to the repair shop and waited till the car was fixed and I could drive on. It took about an hour to fix the problem and 1200 baht which considering the position I was in (nice country, language problems, getting dark and raining a bit) was cheap at twice the price.

He offered to drive me home if they could not fix the car last night.

He would not accept anything other than the cold drinks and this morning called me on the mobile to check that I got back OK.

I was happy that somebody had stopped to help and could speak enough English to communicate as I had no idea how to contact the rescue service. It is only the second time in about 8 years I needed help and my wife was with me last time which made it easier.

Not all Thai people are out to rip off farangs.

Signed a happy and relieved traveller. (now)

:D:o

Edited by billd766

Great experience, and one that doesn't surprise me in the least. In every case I've needed some kind of help, - any kind of help- I've had Thais coming to my aid. I remember my first day in Thailand, walking around Banglampu looking for a guest house. I showed the card to some lady, who promptly took me by the hand and guided me in circles for half an hour. I finally begged off, thanking her, while she kept saying, Sorry! Sorry!. She really wanted to help, and the rest was just faith and politeness. I saw this great kindness that was shown to this confused foriegner, and I immediately started to fall in love with my new Home :D

Been more of the same ever since, happy to say :D

Ironically, in a thread here some months ago, I seem to remember a majority of responders saying they wouldln't stop to offer help, even in an emergency situation where their aid is needed. Most expressed fear as being the reason why they wouldn't stop, but with some I suspected it was 'I don't want to get involved'/ 'I don't care' Syndrome...

Sadly, many of our societies have trained us this way.... And often the fears are valid fears, and the attitudes natural responses, for some, as a way to protect themselves from facing their fear.... I came from a place where I never felt as safe as I do here on any given day... Wow, what a difference I feel now anytime my door is unlocked, or I'm out on the streets in the city after sundown...I always feel perfectly safe here, physically. (Never been to Pattaya, though)... Getting rid of that kind of stress improved my quality of life immediately, and also made me a mellower guy. Hard as it is even for me to believe myself, I wasn't always so sweet as now. :o

On long drives, I sometimes pull over to the side for a little nap from driving. I've never had anyone approach me cold- unless they saw first that there was a farang there. I learned to really keep out of view if I didn't want a crowd to gather and to hear "HELLO! HELLO! CAN I HELP YOU?"... Maybe it just seems that loud... :D:D

Anyway, I'm still so glad that Thais are ready to help when REALLY needed. I hope more farangs will, too :D

Edited by Ajarn

A little story from me :o : In Patong, I wanted to park my nice new truck near the video shop on the left just before you get to the traffic lights in Sai Nam Yen road, when coming from "Patong Municipality". I noticed a nice new concrete area just before the video shop so pulled onto it. Crunch! My offside front wheel went right through some thin wood covering a drain hole. I was totally stuck and immediately started to think who the h3ll can I call to get me out of this? From across the road comes a group of Thais - about 6 or 8. They had a look, surrounded the truck and indicated that they would lift it while I drove it in reverse. One guy stops all the traffic and we give it a go. Hey presto! Out of the hole and everybody smiling. I wanted to offer them something but they were all smiles and went back to the roadside eatery. :D

I am glad to see some positive posts for once. I have lived here for something like 15 years out of the last 25 and my good experiences have far outnumbered the bad ones. Let me give you a recent example. I was driving near Vipavadee Rangsit when a car one car in front of me decided to move around a car turning left. Only problem was that there was a motorcycle in the way. Boom, he crashes to the pavement.

The car that hit the motorcyclist immediately pulled over and stopped.

The vehicle in front of me parked and the yound man and woman rushed over to assist.

Passersby also came over to right the bike and see what they could do to help.

Yes, I know that this doesn't always happen, but I have seen similar instances a number of times. Reading the forum would lead you to believe that Thais would behave differently all the time.

Great experience, and one that doesn't surprise me in the least. In every case I've needed some kind of help, - any kind of help- I've had Thais coming to my aid.

. . .

Ironically, in a thread here some months ago, I seem to remember a majority of responders saying they wouldln't stop to offer help, even in an emergency situation where their aid is needed. Most expressed fear as being the reason why they wouldn't stop, but with some I suspected it was 'I don't want to get involved'/ 'I don't care' Syndrome...

Warning, Newbie here -- It's my second post . . .

I am happy to be reading such warm stories above and below, because there's been so much negative posting here and elsewhere, too. I was starting to lose my interest in maybe someday retiring there to SEA, where I've especially been considering Thailand. I went to Thailand and Cambodia for the first time last November and December. In short, loved it. I will visit northern Thailand and Viet Nam next fall.

Since coming back I've gotten serious about backgrounding myself by reading this forum and several others every day, as well as other sources. And everyday the negative stories (police corruption, so-so medical and emergency care, horrendous traffic congestion, profound political cronyism and on and on) took just a little bit more energy out of my drive.

I live in a huge western city where stories of man's inhumanity to man continue unabated. My experiences in LOS were so hugely positive that I would have believed someone if they'd told me I'd been transported to another dimension where folks were just, well, damned nice.

Anyway, thanks for bringing the other side to the forefront. I'm sure there are lots of other small but no less important good experiences.

As for your recall of another thread and posters' rather ungenerous reactions, I can't say that I'm surprised. I've read here more than a few times comments by posters who haven't given so much as a moment's consideration before questioning another poster's motives for his or her opinion . I had hoped to see less of this sort of thing.

-kaoboi

I was driving up from Bangkok last night in my  wifes car when it broke down around km 147 up from Sing Buri.

It was either fuel or ignition and after finding some odd (rusty) tools I established that it was a fuel problem and most likely a broken fuel pump.

In the 15 minutes that passed 5 Thai drivers stopped to see if they could help and a young guy of about 23 passed me by then did a u-turn and came back. He stayed with me to help. He called his friend but nothing came of that then we both went up to the gas station for cold drinks and then went back to the car where he called his family to get someone to call out a rescue truck which arrived a bit later. He then followed us to the repair shop and waited till the car was fixed and I could drive on. It took about an hour to fix the problem and 1200 baht which considering the position I was in (nice country, language problems, getting dark and raining a bit) was cheap at twice the price.

He offered to drive me home if they could not fix the car last night.

He would not accept anything other than the cold drinks and this morning called me on the mobile to check that I got back OK.

I was happy that somebody had stopped to help and could speak enough English to communicate as I had no idea how to contact the rescue service. It is only the second time in about 8 years I needed help and my wife was with me last time which made it easier.

Not all Thai people are out to rip off farangs.

Signed a happy and relieved traveller. (now)

:D  :o

A really nice experience Bill. Thank you for sharing that. :D

Great experience, and one that doesn't surprise me in the least. In every case I've needed some kind of help, - any kind of help- I've had Thais coming to my aid.

. . .

I am happy to be reading such warm stories above and below, because there's been so much negative posting here and elsewhere, too. I was starting to lose my interest in maybe someday retiring there to SEA, where I've especially been considering Thailand. I went to Thailand and Cambodia for the first time last November and December. In short, loved it. I will visit northern Thailand and Viet Nam next fall.

Since coming back I've gotten serious about backgrounding myself by reading this forum and several others every day, as well as other sources. And everyday the negative stories (police corruption, so-so medical and emergency care, horrendous traffic congestion, profound political cronyism and on and on) took just a little bit more energy out of my drive.

I live in a huge western city where stories of man's inhumanity to man continue unabated. My experiences in LOS were so hugely positive that I would have believed someone if they'd told me I'd been transported to another dimension where folks were just, well, damned nice.

Anyway, thanks for bringing the other side to the forefront. I'm sure there are lots of other small but no less important good experiences.

As for your recall of another thread and posters' rather ungenerous reactions, I can't say that I'm surprised. I've read here more than a few times comments by posters who haven't given so much as a moment's consideration before questioning another poster's motives for his or her opinion . I had hoped to see less of this sort of thing.

-kaoboi

Kaoboi, welcome...

Thailand is a great or terrible place, depending... So many dichotomies here to amaze, confuse, annoy, or drive you crazy. Such is the life here, putting the challenge on the individual to wade through it all and still remain somewhat balanced. Not all here can meet the challange, and many who leave here are seriously wounded, for one reason, or another... Many others will prosper and grow here.

For me, life here is 180 degrees from my old life, and it was just what I needed, personally. I feel I've matured here, and actually become a better and happier person. I like the challenges of life here... The challenges can almost all be overcome, and there are so many lessons one can learn here, which really turns me on as a teacher... :D

Kaoboi, trust your own instincts and experiences. Always take what you read from anonymous posters with a grain of salt. A lot of nonsense is passed around here, too, and sometimes it's hard for the inexperienced to separate truth from fiction. Many come here to share and learn, many others come here with chips on their shoulders and looking for others to shit on.. Such is life, na'?

Onward, through the fog :o

. . .

====clip===

-kaoboi

Kaoboi, welcome...

Thailand is a great or terrible place, depending... So many dichotomies here to amaze, confuse, annoy, or drive you crazy. Such is the life here, putting the challenge on the individual to wade through it all and still remain somewhat balanced. Not all here can meet the challange, and many who leave here are seriously wounded, for one reason, or another... Many others will prosper and grow here.

For me, life here is 180 degrees from my old life, and it was just what I needed, personally. I feel I've matured here, and actually become a better and happier person. I like the challenges of life here... The challenges can almost all be overcome, and there are so many lessons one can learn here, which really turns me on as a teacher... :D

Kaoboi, trust your own instincts and experiences. Always take what you read from anonymous posters with a grain of salt. A lot of nonsense is passed around here, too, and sometimes it's hard for the inexperienced to separate truth from fiction. Many come here to share and learn, many others come here with chips on their shoulders and looking for others to shit on.. Such is life, na'?

Onward, through the fog :o

Ajarn, thanks for the thoughtful reply.

I've PM'ed a response.

Otherwise, in summary, I don't want to come to SEA and live the same life I do in the far west. Doesn't work for me anymore. So after sussing out things in my next visit and rounding up opinions here, near and far, I will gladly welcome another major challenge. A new life maybe.

-kaoboi