Lower Broadband Fees Expected In Thailand

george

NTC will cut costs of type-3 licence holders for broadband

BANGKOK: -- The board of the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) on Wednesday approved a measure to boost broadband Internet market growth by reducing costs for holders of type-3 licences for broadband Internet and network-leasing service.

The measure is aimed at encouraging them to lower the broadband service fee for subscribers and those small Internet businesses that have leased their networks to provide the service.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-11-05

NTC will cut costs of type-3 licence holders for broadband

BANGKOK: -- The board of the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) on Wednesday approved a measure to boost broadband Internet market growth by reducing costs for holders of type-3 licences for broadband Internet and network-leasing service.

The measure is aimed at encouraging them to lower the broadband service fee for subscribers and those small Internet businesses that have leased their networks to provide the service.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-11-05

So reduced fees for slow internet. I would prefer that they simply increased the speed and I continued to pay the same price.

Not a bit,

same price, same speed, more profit for the ISP...

Classic Thai; if the tourists don't come and the hotel is half filled, raise prices.

Maybe they will add some of that to infrastructure, and speed things up...

but the governments bottle neck is the main pinch point of Thai internet speed.

They gotta check for illegal pages and so bog down the incoming till I passes

their ancient content checking servers.

There are many factors involved in broadband speed. My understanding is that the international bandwidth is being expanded every year but probably not fast enough. Many ISPs can easily show good speeds within Thailand but bottlenecks occur when accessing outside Thailand. Here in Phuket we have a group who regularly check internet speeds via this website http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ (use San Francisco). The results are all logged & can be used to show the misleading speed claims by the ISPs.

There is also the issue that most of the broadband arrives via old & deteriorating copper lines plus there are often too many subscribers who have to access the same port. A fibre optic network has been in place in Phuket for a long time but not used. It begs the question that even when used & everything can move at lightning ast speed via the fibre optic what happens when it goes outside the fibre optic?