Camb Border Crossings

songhklasid

I read somewhere that now thaksin is advisor to camb. gov, the border crossings are in danger of closing as a protest,anyone confirm? I was planning a trip to siem riep via chong chom (surin) later this month.Trouble seems to follow thaksin or does he bring his own, this latest trick is an affront to thailand & it's people,he should be dealt with once & for all.

regards songhklasid.

I can't see Chong Chom border closing in the foreseeable future, where did you hear this information? Sounds like bar stool BS to me.

If anything the border should be welcoming more Thais through. Thaksin has a large support network in the Northeast and the present government would not be so stupid as to close the border and ignite more tensions in the NE.

BTW, the road to Siam Rep from Chom Chong will probably be flooded in parts at the moment. Probably take 5-6 hours to get there by taxi (2k bt).

I can't see Chong Chom border closing in the foreseeable future, where did you hear this information? Sounds like bar stool BS to me.

If anything the border should be welcoming more Thais through. Thaksin has a large support network in the Northeast and the present government would not be so stupid as to close the border and ignite more tensions in the NE.

BTW, the road to Siam Rep from Chom Chong will probably be flooded in parts at the moment. Probably take 5-6 hours to get there by taxi (2k bt).

O k thanks for the info, any idea how much for taxi (for 2 people not share) from border to siem riep?

I was guessing $50-60 US, any tips greatly received.

songhklasid.

O k thanks for the info, any idea how much for taxi (for 2 people not share) from border to siem riep?

I was guessing $50-60 US, any tips greatly received.

songhklasid.

Yes mate, as above - 2k baht - which is about $65. That price was the last time I took the journey about 2 years back. Obviously make sure you have lots of US dollars on you. However, I think you can withdraw dollars from the ATM machines now, at least you can at the airport. Angkor Wat is awesome. If you haven't been before make sure you get up at the crack of dawn to visit the temples to avoid the crowds.

The firing range in PP is a blast too!!

The smaller border 60k east of Chong Jom (Choam/Choam Sa Ngam), is supposed to be an easier drive to Siem Reap, than is Chong Jom [source: Lonely Planet]. May be worth considering if the roads are still crappy, but the last 2 weeks have been dry - on the Thai side of the border at least - so I suspect the roads may have dried out by now. On the other hand a songthaew from Surin (Chong Jom) is likely to be cheaper than a taxi from Si Saket (Choam).

Both borders were still open one week ago - and are full service for falangs - when I went to check them out for a trip to Angkor Wat next month, but my TW (lives 100k away) told me yesterday they are now closed. May still be rumour - I will ask for her source. Likely to change daily I guess

If you do go for the shortest trip in Cambodia, then going out there is transport for the 20k to Anlong Veng in Cambodia, from whence there are songthaew/ taxis to Siem reap (the Choam border guards told me). Coming back I was told there are locals who will taxi you back from Choam to wherever in this part of Thailand.

Curiously the Choam (Thai) border guards told me it is 1,500 baht for a Cambodia visa on arrival and the Chong Jom (Thai) border guards told me it is 1,400 baht. I think I read on LP that you can pay US$20 instead, which is much cheaper. Don't know whether you need passport photos - probably not but I always carry spares on travel in case.