Diamond Ring Hua Hin

adz7202

I have no experience what-so-ever in this, so I can not really recommend any shop based on that.

I can just say that there is a big jewelry store (at least I think it is) on the corner of Petchkasem and Soi 51, don't remember the name, but the shop stretches quite a bit down soi 51, and all the Windows are black so I haven't seen what they have to offer.

Also there is a at least one (I think more) on the 1st floor in Market Village, I know of one who bought a ring in there and from what I heard she was pleased with it.

I cannot help you with your selection of a jeweler here in Hua Hin but as I am a gem collector I though I should give you some advice. Generally speaking diamonds are in most cases not worth their high asking prices as there is no shortage in supply. Diamonds, except some fancy coloured version, are not rare gems. Having said that, the luster from a well cut diamond is almost magical and is the perfect choice for an engagement ring.

The prices of diamonds do not exactly increase smooth-linear by size but has also several steps. Thus, the price difference between a 0.46 carat and a 0,50 carat stone is likely to be considerably more than say between 0.50 and 0.54 carat. Therefore, by choosing a size that lies just below one of these thresh-holds you could save.

When you choose your ring look very carefully at the stone in different lights and angels and always chose quality before size, the luster is everything. Apart from the cut, which is the most important factor, the colour is the next important factor for how beautiful your stone will appear on your finger, whereas you can compromise on clarity; this because it is very difficult for the naked eye to see the difference between e.g. a VVS1 (very very small inclosure 1) and a VS2 (very small inclosure 2) stone, but avoid stones from SI (small inclosure) and below.

D colour is colourless (white) and the best but expensive and rare. However, colours G and H can also appear colourless to the naked eye depending how the stone is cut. If the stone appears to be slightly yellow, then chose a better one and if it is above your budget chose a smaller size.

When you have finally selected your stone check if the stone is genuine with a diamond tester. All jewelers have them.

Good luck!

My wife is a real jewelry hound and as she lived in the U.S. for eight years she has experience with stones and jewelry other than the solid gold kind most preferred by Thais. She and her friends have been all over town looking at all the jewelry stores including the factory store near Soi 51 mentioned previously and another similar and newer place near Villa Market and she says the best quality for price in her opinion is actually in a store in the Market Village Mall. She couldn't remember the name but thinks it has the word "Great" in it, but it is on the second floor on the side that has all the banks about midway from the front to the back of the mall.

She's not a gem expert, but is just going on what she liked and what the pricing was so do take Stgrhe's advice wherever you go.

I have no experience what-so-ever in this, so I can not really recommend any shop based on that.

I can just say that there is a big jewelry store (at least I think it is) on the corner of Petchkasem and Soi 51, don't remember the name, but the shop stretches quite a bit down soi 51, and all the Windows are black so I haven't seen what they have to offer.

Also there is a at least one (I think more) on the 1st floor in Market Village, I know of one who bought a ring in there and from what I heard she was pleased with it.

My wife and I went into the 'big jewelry store/manufacturing business Soi 51' some years ago and were very pleasantly suprised at the way it was run. We felt that we were not under any pressure to buy and the staff were most helpful. They have their own workshop where you can see the rings etc being made to order and prices run from the very cheap to the very expensive re the choice of stones/settings etc. We bought two rings and were well pleased with what we got for what we paid.

With regard to diamonds I don't have any advice to offer, so unfortunately you are on you own and will have to make up your own mind, but from a 'gut feeling' I don't think that you will be ripped off.

I have NO connection with the business and have just been a customer, and wish you the very best of luck.

If the presumed price is high enough, it might be worth a trip to Bangkok and a few days hanging around "The Wall" on Mahaesak. Lots of international gem and jewelry folks use it as their watering hole.

If it is a question of a more valuable stone it could even pay to make a trip to Dubai or Abu Dhabi to buy the ring.