Badly Needed: Quality Internet Connection Good For Voip (around Pattaya)

Rumi66

Hello all,

I'm using a VOIP hardware based phone (Ooma, ooma.com) for my US based business and it was working perfectly back home in California until I got here in Asia (make that philippines). I can hear my customers well but they always complain they can't understand me because of choppy connection. Right now I'm in the philippines and I'm coming to Thailand just for this one problem as I've lost a lot of business so far (not to mention mental health!).

I get quiet a few calls a day from customers in US calling my local California number and I pickup the phone wherever I am in the world. There is no problem as long as the internet connection is fast and clean.

I have done some VOIP tests from here (philippines) and the problem is always the network Jitter and QOS.

If you are happy with your connection, please do a VOIP a test at the link below and reply here with the results. If all results are good (green), I maybe your neighbor soon! And I promise to bring you a nice gift when I meet you, or if you prefer a bargirl of your choice on me :)

whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

I guess my goal is to find an ISP which offers a low jitter/congestion, and high QOS connection near pattaya. I do not mind paying more for a business or premium line.

I'm losing business everyday because of this. I wonder if anyone is using VOIP successfully doing business in US. Can anyone offer any advise or solution for this issue?

Thank you so much! Any help is greatly appreciated.

James

True Internet in Bangkok - reliability (uptime) 100%. Nominal 5Mbps/512k actual 5050/505 k which is very good. This is a residential line, no speed guarantees.

Jitter to USA 0.5% - up and down bandwidths are fine. However, packet loss along the route anything up to 96% at times. The fault is not the individual ISP, it is the international links from Thailand. There is supposed to be a new Submarine cable between Japan and USA soon, which might improve the situation. TRUE have their own lines as well as TOT/CAT so if they don't work I expect others may be worse. I have offices using TOT and they are so hopeless I won't even attempt to measure anything.

Edited by stolidfeline

True Internet in Bangkok - reliability (uptime) 100%. Nominal 5Mbps/512k actual 5050/505 k which is very good. This is a residential line, no speed guarantees.

Jitter to USA 0.5% - up and down bandwidths are fine. However, packet loss along the route anything up to 96% at times. The fault is not the individual ISP, it is the international links from Thailand. There is supposed to be a new Submarine cable between Japan and USA soon, which might improve the situation. TRUE have their own lines as well as TOT/CAT so if they don't work I expect others may be worse. I have offices using TOT and they are so hopeless I won't even attempt to measure anything.

Stolidfeline,

I appreciate you taking the time to reply! My preference is pattaya for obvious reasons, however as the saying goes, "no money, no honey". So business comes first and if I have to move to BKK or CM, then that's something I have to do.

I never heard of 96% packet loss. That's way too high to do anything, nevermind the voip. I'm assuming you are on DSL line and that is most likely caused by poor wiring.

Have you done a traceroute? you can use this website and it will tell you where most delays are caused:

network-tools.com/ (select Trace and click Go)

I've heard others complaining about TOT as well. I'll be sure to stay away.

Do you know anyone with business line or cable internet? I wonder how is their experience.

again, thank you for the helpful info!

James

I'm about 12 km outside Pattaya, Maxnet Premier 4Mbps/1Mbps at 2090 Baht/month (+7%vat)

I made 2 tests, one to your link and one to myspeed.visualware.com/voip/

post-4701-1257918569_thumb.jpg

post-4701-1257918555_thumb.jpg

Monty,

WOW! that looks beautiful!!! I must have tested my connection hundreds of times here and never seen all green! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

I just hope the test looks good during California daytime also. I really appreciate you taking the time to do these tests and I hate to be demanding, but you would greatly help me if you could do a test once early in the morning and once late in the evening your time and post the results here.

If your connection quality is consistent, I'm very sure I'll be your neighbor in less than two months. What's the name of your town if you don't mind me asking?

cheers!

James

Just for the archives, TOT 2Mbit/512kbps, central-eastern Thailand close to Cambodia border...

Actually, OMG!!!!! One of those days again...

welo,

Thank you for the tests! Actually your connection looks like what I have here in the philippines. Maybe you should try Monty's ISP if it's available in your area :)

a BIG thank you to everyone posting their test results here. I'm really grateful!

Joncl,

What is your connection type and plan? And how much you are paying per month?

your upload and download speed are the best so far.

Thanks a lot!

Stolidfeline,

I appreciate you taking the time to reply! My preference is pattaya for obvious reasons, however as the saying goes, "no money, no honey". So business comes first and if I have to move to BKK or CM, then that's something I have to do.

I never heard of 96% packet loss. That's way too high to do anything, nevermind the voip. I'm assuming you are on DSL line and that is most likely caused by poor wiring.

Have you done a traceroute? you can use this website and it will tell you where most delays are caused:

Do you know anyone with business line or cable internet? I wonder how is their experience.

James

Sorry for the delay. I don't look here every day!

My line connection is perfect, throughput locally is good. As I said, the problem is the international circuits. On occasions they are good, most of the time they are quite slow. I used to be able to stream Stargate Atlantis DVD quality from Desyn in USA, but not often lately. The test I did for you was one of the worst I have seen, I will repeat it and add my findings to this post.

I have never seen anyone with Cable, so can't help.

The results from Maxnet look good.

ADDIT: As I suspected, the problem is the Mickey Mouse tester at whichvoip.com. This time the test reported 80% packet loss. This is BS.

TraceRoute to 124.122.xxx.x [ppp-124-122-xxx-x.revip2.asianet.co.th]

Hop (ms) (ms) (ms) IP Address Host name

1 19 6 11 72.249.128.105 -

2 22 25 60 8.9.232.73 xe-5-3-0.edge3.dallas1.level3.net

3 24 22 33 4.69.145.52 ae-63-60.ebr3.dallas1.level3.net

4 58 208 82 4.69.132.77 ae-3.ebr2.losangeles1.level3.net

5 47 41 39 4.69.144.15 ae-1-60.edge2.losangeles9.level3.net

6 99 203 196 4.53.228.14 kddi-americ.edge2.losangeles9.level3.net

7 40 39 39 59.128.2.101 lacbb001.kddnet.ad.jp

8 141 143 140 203.181.100.41 otecbb103.kddnet.ad.jp

9 159 291 203 124.211.33.76 cm-ote130.kddnet.ad.jp

10 257 260 267 203.181.102.214 -

11 284 263 268 61.19.9.53 -

12 257 256 266 61.19.9.66 -

13 269 267 268 61.19.10.26 -

14 264 261 278 61.91.210.2 61-91-210-2.static.asianet.co.th

15 257 258 256 203.144.144.26 203-144-144-26.static.asianet.co.th

16 258 257 256 61.91.210.65 61-91-210-65.static.asianet.co.th

17 279 258 257 61.90.133.238 61-90-133-238.static.asianet.co.th

18 Timed out Timed out Timed out -

19 Timed out Timed out Timed out -

20 266 271 267 124.120.182.1 ppp-124-120-182-1.revip2.asianet.co.th

21 307 281 282 124.122.153.7 ppp-124-122-153-7.revip2.asianet.co.th

Trace complete

Reply from 74.124.194.146: bytes=32 time=319ms TTL=43

Reply from 74.124.194.146: bytes=32 time=316ms TTL=43

Reply from 74.124.194.146: bytes=32 time=317ms TTL=43

Reply from 74.124.194.146: bytes=32 time=317ms TTL=43

Ping statistics for 74.124.194.146:

Packets: Sent = 936, Received = 936, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 315ms, Maximum = 364ms, Average = 317ms

Control-C

^C

Various speed test with DALLAS servers:

Oookla 3Mbps

AT&T

Your Throughput

Download = 3.954 Mbps

Upload = 303.35 kbps

The link is absolutely rock solid with TRUE internet. I apologise for not doing these tests before!

Edited by stolidfeline

Hi Rumi,

Sounds like you're looking to find a place when you get here and set up your own internet - ? But if you're looking to stay in a hotel or serviced apartment for any period of time I can recommend a couple to you where the internet has been most reliable for me. I also need to use VOIP technology interfacing with offices in the US and Beijing. On my many trips to Pattaya, I've had to change hotels during the course of my stay because the internet was so weak and unreliable. Over time I've found a couple places with very consistent, reliable service. I'm not a big spender so these are not five star B5,000 / night places, but the internet is top notch! Let me know if you're interested.

Kind regards,

WaatWang

Stolidfeline,

James

Sorry for the delay. I don't look here every day!

My line connection is perfect, throughput locally is good. As I said, the problem is the international circuits. On occasions they are good, most of the time they are quite slow. I used to be able to stream Stargate Atlantis DVD quality from Desyn in USA, but not often lately. The test I did for you was one of the worst I have seen, I will repeat it and add my findings to this post.

I have never seen anyone with Cable, so can't help.

The results from Maxnet look good.

ADDIT: As I suspected, the problem is the Mickey Mouse tester at whichvoip.com. This time the test reported 80% packet loss. This is BS.

TraceRoute to 124.122.xxx.x [ppp-124-122-xxx-x.revip2.asianet.co.th]

stolidfeline,

yes, unfortunately international lines being used are whacked and I have the same problem here. So far I'm thinking of Maxnet for quality as well its proximity to pattaya.

I thank you for your detailed post. Have a great weekend!

Hi Rumi,

Sounds like you're looking to find a place when you get here and set up your own internet - ? But if you're looking to stay in a hotel or serviced apartment for any period of time I can recommend a couple to you where the internet has been most reliable for me. I also need to use VOIP technology interfacing with offices in the US and Beijing. On my many trips to Pattaya, I've had to change hotels during the course of my stay because the internet was so weak and unreliable. Over time I've found a couple places with very consistent, reliable service. I'm not a big spender so these are not five star B5,000 / night places, but the internet is top notch! Let me know if you're interested.

Kind regards,

WaatWang

WaatWang,

As long as these places are not too crummy or unsafe, yes! please share, by all means! I could use a place like that. Thank you!

Edited by Rumi66