Royal Thai Consulate-general Dubai

British with Thai partner (we're not married) and dual nationality child (aged 2), lived constantly in Thailand for a little over 4 years.

Need to get a multi entry Non Imm O end of December (current one expires 10 Dec) as I am transiting home through Dubai (I work overseas) but cannot raise them on the 'phone, I do not have access to fax and they do not respond to e-mails.

I'm sure that I need some original docs to support my application and I do have scanned copies of our daughter's birth certificates, my partner's ID card and blue book plus a list of places we have lived in around the kingdom.

Can anyone please advise, preferably those who have gone through the Dubai experience, on correct documents or indeed any useful contacts there.

Thanks in anticipation.

For Non-O visa based on Thai child, consulates outside the region normally want to see, as a minimum, original birth certificate naming you as the father and maybe passbook showing some money in the bank. Having additional documents such as tabbien bahn recording child/your details and signed copy of gf's ID card etc can be helpful, as can never be sure exactly what documents the consulate may call for.

Embassies and consulates generally are particularly bad at replying to e-mail. Contact details for Dubai consulate can be found here . It looks like the consulate relocated office last year, so not sure what information you may have. If matters become problematical then you can easily obtain multiple entry Non-O visa on basis of Thai child from KL (but understand why you wish to obtain whilst in transit to avoid another trip).

For Non-O visa based on Thai child, consulates outside the region normally want to see, as a minimum, original birth certificate naming you as the father and maybe passbook showing some money in the bank. Having additional documents such as tabbien bahn recording child/your details and signed copy of gf's ID card etc can be helpful, as can never be sure exactly what documents the consulate may call for.

Embassies and consulates generally are particularly bad at replying to e-mail. Contact details for Dubai consulate can be found here . It looks like the consulate relocated office last year, so not sure what information you may have. If matters become problematical then you can easily obtain multiple entry Non-O visa on basis of Thai child from KL (but understand why you wish to obtain whilst in transit to avoid another trip).

Having just come back from KL 2 weeks ago, trying to get a Multi-Non O on the basis of a Thai child, I can say that the highlighted above is NOT true. I took birth certificate, blue book, copy of girlfriends ID, letter requesting issue of visa, proof of 30,000 baht per month income, bank book with over 40,000 baht in. I was issued a single entry and told that they would only give me a multi if I showed a marriage certificate !

So please don't think or assume that getting a Multi entry from KL is easy :-)

Sorry to hear of your situation. KL has certainly been an 'accommodating' embassy in the past for the issue of such a visa and there are many reports supporting that. Indeed, another poster obtained multi entry Non-O visa on basis of Thai child at KL a few weeks before you showing less funds. Issue of the visa is of course at the discretion of the consular official. It is sometimes difficult to read into the genuine reason for visa refusal, as consular staff often wish to avoid confrontation. Maybe the consular official had a bad day or the rules around issue of this particular visa are tightening up at this particular embassy. At this stage we do not know. One report does not tell all; we can but watch for further reports and see what transpires. Alternative option currently available is to obtain multi-entry Non-O visa from Perth on basis of visiting friends.

I find the office in Dubai very busy and the staff are always under a lot of pressure from the locals thinking they have a lot of clout to demand a visa with only needing to bring their passport. Make sure you are at the door at 09-30. Today i am on my way to the UAE to renew my 1 year multi O, but i will be going to the Abu Dhabi office, Been using this office for many years and never had a single problem, if you have the requested documents the task is simple, dont forget they are closed Friday and Saturday.

I can also recommend the Abu Dhabi Thai embassy as I received 3 back-to-back one year multi-entry non-imm. O marriage visas there...I was also married there...

but, that was 6 years ago and things always change...check it out; AD is only an hour's drive from Dubai and a much nicer town IMO...

I can also recommend the Abu Dhabi Thai embassy as I received 3 back-to-back one year multi-entry non-imm. O marriage visas there...I was also married there...

but, that was 6 years ago and things always change...check it out; AD is only an hour's drive from Dubai and a much nicer town IMO...

Just been to the AD embassy today, took me 15 min and all was completed no problem, included was a copy of my bank statement and they gave it back, informing me this is not a requirement. Was requested to go back tomorrow @ 11-00 and collect my passport.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks Thaiphoon, Isan Farang and tutsiwarrior.

I'll PM for more info as I only have one day to apply for two visas (don't ask!) so have to be in Dubai.

bigt116, sorry to hear of your experience. FYI, the last time I was at KL (Sep 08) I presented all required docs which were virtually all rejected as unnecessary and promptly received a non-imm O which they stamped to say that I WAS married. When I pointed it out they said not to worry and it has never been queried on my trips in and out of LOS. As Thaiphoon says, it depends on the day and the person processing.

Best wishes to all

This is the updated address, please ensure you are there before 09-00 with all the required papers. You state you have one day to apply for two visas, i would assume that you are holding two passports.

Royal Thai Consulate-General in Dubai

P.O. Box 51844, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Villa 35, street no 16, Community 366

Near Raffles Int'l School West

Opposite Jumeirah Beach Hotel

Umm Suqeim 3

Tel: 04 - 348 9550

Fax: 04 - 348 8568

Visa Submission Timings

9.00 a.m. -12.00 p.m. only between Sunday –Thursday

Visa Collection Timings

10:30 - 12:00 hrs strictly next working day (minimum 24 hours)

The office will remain closed on Friday, Saturdays

and Thai & UAE public holiday.

I might add that the visa applicant does not have to appear in person, in many cases, so it's worthwhile to check...at the AD and Bahrain embassies my wife did all the necessary and last time at the Jeddah consulate I sent the company driver down who completed everything without any problems. One needs to first obtain the application form and confirm which documents are required by telephone beforehand...

I've never had any problems with visas in the ME; embassy/consulate staff are very helpful...much more unpleasantness to be had simply driving to the supermarket in that area... :)

• 1 month later...

Many thanks to all who kept this on topic.

I arrived at the RTC at 0850 sharp on 30 December.

Third through the door, I had dressed smartly, was clean shaven and freshly showered and was met by one staff on duty.

I presented two copies each of: daughters' birth certificate, partners' ID card, daughter's and partners' passports, partners' familys' blue book, Service discharge papers, proof of pension, professional organisation membership certificates, my bank book, partners' bank book - and (police) cousin's business card.

One set of each aforementioned handed back to me, handed over current passport plus copy and old passport, paid fee and was hailing a taxi by 0905!

Collected new visa and both passports promptly at 1030 next day which, the same as my last visa from KL, has been manually amended to read "married" although we are not, and was waied generously by four staff present that day.

Used up my sparse Thai oral skills showing the staff photos of my partner and daughter and left via the taxi they called for me as the one I arrived in would not wait.

Thank you to all the staff there, they are a credit to their department and country - thoroughly recommended, despite not answering my 'phone calls or e-mails!

That's it for another year, or more!

Best wishes.