Teen Pregnancies In Thailand A Big Problem

george

Teen pregnancies a big problem

30116651-01.jpg

At the age of 16, Da had a big fight with her parents over having become pregnant out of wedlock.[/i]

The unexpected pregnancy also occurred when she was only a lower secondary student.

"I finally had to move out and quit school," Da recently recalled.

She said if she had it to do over again, she would study hard and avoid upsetting her parents.

'Think of your parents'

"I would like to tell other girls to think of their parents before engaging in premarital sex," Da said. "But if you want to have sex with your boyfriend, you must stick to safe sex."

Today, Da is 22 years old. Her oldest child, a boy, is six years old, she has a second child who is nearly two, and she is pregnant again.

"My husband and I are trying to save as much money as we can for our children," Da said.

Her husband is only 19. He sells grilled bananas while Da sells fried wantons.

"Together, our stalls make a profit of a few hundred baht each day," Da said.

The young mother said she was happy she decided against an abortion.

"I was determined from the very beginning not destroy my own child," Da said.

Abortion and 'unhappiness'

She said friends who had opted for abortions had never found happiness in their lives.

Da lives in Bangkok's Wat Sunthorn Thammathan comฌmunity. The community's chairwoman, Suween Waewployngarm, is making a serious effort to prevent unwanted pregnancies among schoolgirls.

"We've promoting recreational activities for youths to participate in. We've promoted family ties. We've promoted the use of condoms and contraceptives," Suween said.

She said so far, the most effective solution lay with parents.

"By taking good care of their children, parents can keep their children on the right path," Suween said.

She said parents' failure to pay close attention to their children often led to unwanted pregnancies.

"Most local girls with unwanted pregnancies become pregnant while in only grade 6 or 7," Suween said.

Thanee sae Phoo, chairman of Bangkok's Wat Karuehabodee community, said a few teenage mothers lived there.

"These schoolgirls get pregnant by their boyfriends. They're lovers," Thanee said.

He said families and communities could play a key role in preventing abortions or suicides when unwanted pregnancies occurred.

"We can help these girls. They can return to live a normal life if we help," Thanee said, adding that the girls could continue their studies through informaleducation programmes.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-11-16

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So discuss it then instead of having a go at me :) just to elaborate on my post teen pregnancies is a major problem worldwide not just Thailand.I'm not allowed to compare with another country no?{ the story doesnt give much facts to back up that teen pregnancies are a big problem in thailand,i'm sure they are but that can be said about allot of countries. So basically my point is that this isnt much of a story,and its not something that we dont already know.

Edited by Dpolenz

Yep, it's the headline of the week.

This week pregnancy?

last week was smoking i believe?

week before that drinking?

Next week is short skirts again? or is it motorbike racing?

Now I don't mean to make light of these important issues but more with officials that like to get their names in the paper saying they are doing something about these and other issues. In this case the issue lays with the parents - don't they all?

I doubt many grade 6 and 7 girls are getting pregnant. 11 and 12 year olds can, but not usually.

I'm guessing another The Nation translation problem and they don't realize that the American system is 12 years plus kindergarden and not divided in to two sets of 6 like Thailand. Probably mean Matthayom 5 and 6 which would be grade 11 and 12.

I doubt many grade 6 and 7 girls are getting pregnant. 11 and 12 year olds can, but not usually.

I'm guessing another The Nation translation problem and they don't realize that the American system is 12 years plus kindergarden and not divided in to two sets of 6 like Thailand. Probably mean Matthayom 5 and 6 which would be grade 11 and 12.

That sounds more like it. My daughter got PG at 17; had her bachelor's 4 years later; master's before kid #2. Next girl PG at age 15.

Given the current birth-rate in Thailand, it's almost promising to see a happy, hard working family with three kids. This is really only a problem if you want to make it one.

Exactly. The so-called 'problem' is a fabrication of the current moral compass.

At the schools I volunteerd there are every year some studnets getting pregnant, especialy the 15 year olds. The problem in my view is that there is no sex education. While there is some attention for AIDS/HIV, there is no attention for birthcontrol.

Teen pregnancies are a major problem in England

And in any country that rolls out the welfare goodies as a reward.

I fail to see the link.

The link is to the benifits they can receive as a single mother , cheap housing(subsidised by the government) , living allowance , special other allowances once a year for clothing and xmas , free dental etc .

The link is to the benifits they can receive as a single mother , cheap housing(subsidised by the government) , living allowance , special other allowances once a year for clothing and xmas , free dental etc .

Perhaps there wouldn't be so many single mothers if boys would learn to be men.

At the schools I volunteerd there are every year some studnets getting pregnant, especialy the 15 year olds. The problem in my view is that there is no sex education. While there is some attention for AIDS/HIV, there is no attention for birthcontrol.

good point Mario2008 the schools here need to teach the teenagers about sex but I do believe Thailand is any way close in to the UK when comparing number of Teen pregnancies :)

Unfortunately there's a huge double standard in favour of the guys. It takes two to tango, but the girls are the ones saddled with the lifelong social and financial obligation, social stigma, lack of access to good education (they cannot even go to the normal colleges if they have children) and jobs, and reduced eligibility in the marriage market. And all of this without the option for legal abortions.

Let's hear a call for DNA testing of suspected candidates for 'father,' with the 'lucky' boy/man paying child support and also denied access to education, government jobs, and with a permanent mark on his government record regarding the child in case other prospective in-laws want to look. Betcha things might be changed more rapidly to be fair than with just the women being disadvantaged!

:)

Perhaps there wouldn't be so many single mothers if boys would learn to be men.

Perhaps the young ladys should keep there legs closed :) I know many girls back in Scotland who have gotten pregnant to get a flat or a house :D

Teen pregnancies are a major problem in England

And in any country that rolls out the welfare goodies as a reward.

I fail to see the link.

Nope, I have never met one teenage girl who got knocked up to get to go on the dole...

They get knocked up because parents and governments neglect to INFORM them

that they WILL get knocked up if they have unprotected sex.

One main reason is women's biologocal systems are actual designed to make them most

susceptible to sexual urges JUST as they are most fertile. A very logical mechanism

for sustaining a species, but not so good for keeping societies on an even keel.

Edited by animatic

Unfortunately there's a huge double standard in favour of the guys. It takes two to tango, but the girls are the ones saddled with the lifelong social and financial obligation, social stigma, lack of access to good education (they cannot even go to the normal colleges if they have children) and jobs, and reduced eligibility in the marriage market. And all of this without the option for legal abortions.

Let's hear a call for DNA testing of suspected candidates for 'father,' with the 'lucky' boy/man paying child support and also denied access to education, government jobs, and with a permanent mark on his government record regarding the child in case other prospective in-laws want to look. Betcha things might be changed more rapidly to be fair than with just the women being disadvantaged!

:)

Please explain how denying the very things to make man/boy able to provide for a child and their mother would help. You come across emotionally awkward on this subject :D As I totally understand that the girl and her family are left dealing with the reality of taking care of a child. It seems to me that creating a positive future by providing all those things you recommend to deny might actually turn tragedy to triumph????

You really think these girls think: "I want a house, clothing allowence and live of social security; let's have a baby"?

'Mario2008' date='2009-11-16 20:43:06' post='3144651']'dumball' post='3144568' date='2009-11-16 20:03:06']The link is to the benifits they can receive as a single mother , cheap housing(subsidised by the government) , living allowance , special other allowances once a year for clothing and xmas , free dental etc .

You really think these girls think: "I want a house, clothing allowence and live of social security; let's have a baby"?

You appear not to"Think-too-mut' , a parallel was placed with another country and you could not see the link , I provided one for you , now you ask a silly question because these services are NOT provided in Thailand , it was merely to give you an idea of what actualy happens elsewhere for single mothers , and yes , they do .

'Mario2008' date='2009-11-16 21:20:17' post='3144717']

I have a different opinion as to why young girls get pregnant and don't see any link between social security and prenancy of teenagers.

So do not ask questions pertinant to why some females get pregnant , have babies and remain single , if the ONLY opinion you wish to adamantly defend is the one held by yourself .

Easy ??????????