Outlook

Hssl

I've used Outlook for a long time and never had this problem, but I know others who have. I currently use Outlook 2007.

Be sure your outlook.pst file (i.e, Inbox and subfolders you may have created to store/save emails) ain't too large due to too many emails and large attachments. Once you start approaching a PST file of around 2 GB, Outlook can start slowing down significantly, locking up, etc. At this point you need to start archiving/deleting/compacting/cleaning up your emails. Use the Data File Managment, Archive, and Compact function of Outlook to keep your inbox in shape.

Edited by Pib

I've used Outlook for a long time and never had this problem, but I know others who have. I currently use Outlook 2007.

Be sure your outlook.pst file (i.e, Inbox and subfolders you may have created to store/save emails) ain't too large due to too many emails and large attachments. Once you start approaching a PST file of around 2 GB, Outlook can start slowing down significantly, locking up, etc. At this point you need to start archiving/deleting/compacting/cleaning up your emails. Use the Data File Managment, Archive, and Compact function of Outlook to keep your inbox in shape.

I have been using outlook for 6 year + and i do not have any problems. I am also using Outlook 2007. My data file is over 9GB and it does not slow it down. what might slow you down is if you have it, the anti-virus protection. I am for the moment using Microsoft Security Essential and it works like a treat. And it is free. 

Outlook 2007 can go up to a single pst file size of 20GB; but earlier versions of Outlook are limited to 2GB. And when using Outlook 2003 I had stability problems in Outlook once the PST file got around 1.5GB...at that point I had to archive some emails to separate pst files which made Outlook stable again.

The OP didn't mention what version of Outlook he/she was using; then again, the problem may not even be caused by Outlook as computers hardware/software can sure caused misplaced blame (and high blood pressur, grey hairs, etc) Over the years I've even had a few causes where reloading Outlook (without loosing any Outlook settings/emails/addresses) made Outlook a happy camper again.

http://email.about.com/od/outlook/f/pst_size_limit.htm