Detachable Sidecart Or Trailer Thingie For Dog And/or People Transport

SadieMBeagle

Hi all,

I recently purchased a secondhand Yamaha Mio ZR automatic bike. I'm wondering what are the options for a detachable sidecart or trailer thingy that I could use mainly for shopping or to take my dog to the vet when necessary. Detachable is a necessity, as most of the time it'll just be me and the little bike! I would really like it if I could find something that carry carry a person for when the family comes to visit me from time to time. However, since I don't expect too many visitors (USA is a long way away, plus everyone I know seems to be broke these days), a people-carrier, while nice, isn't really necessary.

Please let me know your experiences, such as:

Cost?

Where to buy? (I'm in Chiang Mai)

Sidecart or trailer?

etc, etc.

Thanks in advance! :)

Melissa

As far as a sidecar, don't do it. They are illegal and very dangerous. No one manufactures them, they are usually of scaffold quality, welded together by the locals. And as a farang the BIB will hassle you whenever they can. I've never understood how a farang can maintain their dignity driving these death traps around Thailand. The other day I saw an old battered expat driving a Wall's ice cream motorbike and side car. <deleted>?

I have never seen a motorbike trailer in Thailand, except maybe on a Honda Goldwing. They may be illegal as well, not sure.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I v got a trailer. 2 Wave wheels, and some steel pipes. Made in Suratani at 3000 baht, added some plywood to keep the dogs feet away from the wheels. A One ton hitch on the trailer ond on my Nouvo E 135cc. Takes my rottweiler (only 50 kg) to the beach every morning. and the garbage out on the main road. Love it. handles ok at low speed, less than 60 kmh.

Since its not really a mod of the bike, according to local police its legal

A bit off topic (sort of)... but is it possible to buy a tuk tuk for private use? I always wondered as an alternative for the same reasons?

the suzuki is 325k as i recall

the daihatsus are not officially sold in LOS any more, but I have seen them at 170k

for personal use they are registered as 2 person pickups. tuk tuks are 6-8 person peoplecarriers.

A bit off topic (sort of)... but is it possible to buy a tuk tuk for private use? I always wondered as an alternative for the same reasons?

the suzuki is 325k as i recall

the daihatsus are not officially sold in LOS any more, but I have seen them at 170k

for personal use they are registered as 2 person pickups. tuk tuks are 6-8 person peoplecarriers.

Geez could you imagine what the Phuket Tuk Tuk mafia's would do if we all started buying tuk tuks and drove our friends around the island!! Holy cow. Lets do it!!! :)

These pic´s might help you to have a cheaper idea´? :D

Hahahaha, love the pics! Though the trailer is a necessity because I can't imagine my dog sitting still for a scooter ride :)

I think Kata's suggestion makes the most sense - a dog trailer of some kind. Thanks everyone!!

These pic´s might help you to have a cheaper idea´? :D

Hahahaha, love the pics! Though the trailer is a necessity because I can't imagine my dog sitting still for a scooter ride :)

I think Kata's suggestion makes the most sense - a dog trailer of some kind. Thanks everyone!!

My Saling is a honda dream and (sidecar) a metal box steel tube and steel panal sides, stops the children putting fingers in the wheels. Its the best thing that I use here I go to the local shops etc and around the local area. I love it. I made it (go to talk with your local m/c shop) with three bolts onto the bike and a electric plug to the sidecar lights etc. takes 5 mins to remove. A note here make sure the sidecar has lights and indicators front and back (could save your life) makes life interesting mind the Thais, ask if I want to rent a house, would I like to buy a cheap car, nobody offered me their daugther yet, Ah well I wonder why! rolleyes:

I v got a trailer. 2 Wave wheels, and some steel pipes. Made in Suratani at 3000 baht, added some plywood to keep the dogs feet away from the wheels. A One ton hitch on the trailer ond on my Nouvo E 135cc. Takes my rottweiler (only 50 kg) to the beach every morning. and the garbage out on the main road. Love it. handles ok at low speed, less than 60 kmh.

Since its not really a mod of the bike, according to local police its legal

Hello!this sounds intresting and i would love to see a picture!i have a 40 kilo staff and would love to have somethimg removable!

thx

I would really like it if I could find something that carry carry a person for when the family comes to visit me from time to time. However, since I don't expect too many visitors (USA is a long way away, plus everyone I know seems to be broke these days), a people-carrier, while nice, isn't really necessary.

Your not seriously suggesting you would take a human around in a trailer/sidecar setup here are you??

I would love to see a picture of your visitor sat in something like that sightseeing!

there is a guy making sidecars and trailers in CM. he has a range of 'models" including a almost Dusting replica attached to a big bike of some sort. The problem is getting them to track properly. Need a range of adjustments to allow for adjustable toe in, and about 25mm lean out to compensate for road camber( if any in TH). He is located in soi one ,off Rattanakosin Rd, near the car sales corner. He generally has a display on the other side of the road from his shop. Afriend bought a covered sidecar, with lights, ply floor, and a padded seat for 10,000BT. Quality is good, exept for the tracking issues .

Regards,

• 3 weeks later...
there is a guy making sidecars and trailers in CM. he has a range of 'models" including a almost Dusting replica attached to a big bike of some sort. The problem is getting them to track properly. Need a range of adjustments to allow for adjustable toe in, and about 25mm lean out to compensate for road camber( if any in TH). He is located in soi one ,off Rattanakosin Rd, near the car sales corner. He generally has a display on the other side of the road from his shop. Afriend bought a covered sidecar, with lights, ply floor, and a padded seat for 10,000BT. Quality is good, exept for the tracking issues .

Regards,

Thanks, Dr. Fang! This guy sounds promising. I will check him out.

I bought a 130cc Tuk tuk just over 2trs ago for my personal use and no queries were made about personal use and was told about some farang mods he hadbeen especially asked for from them--Handlebar special brackets---Exterior mirror extensions. I have them now.this machine is a joy to take into town[udon Thani] Every body gives me a smile,with a "good on ya mate" look.One interesting point----I have been through dozens and dozens of police checkpoints and never ever been stopped. A wonderful sense of security if you have had a couple of beers!!!!! They are not as maneuverable as a bike but twice as fast as a car in traffic. They have a hard ride but I have been told you can alter the shocks.I just live with it. It is fantastic on economy and the low prices for service and the spare parts is amazing. I am not a Tuktuk dealer so have no interest in what you buy but Hey!!! If you want a fun vehicle that turns into a very willing work-horse--go for it. Dougal

• 1 month later...

Regards,

Bump, bump.

Well I've driven by this corner twice and have not managed to find this guy. So, any other suggestions? I am getting to the point where I think I will flag down the next Thai person I see with a motorbike trailer and ask them where they bought it! Except that my Thai is good enough for me to ask the question, but not good enough to understand the response :)

Any and all helpful responses appreciated... thank you...

Regards,

Bump, bump.

Well I've driven by this corner twice and have not managed to find this guy. So, any other suggestions? I am getting to the point where I think I will flag down the next Thai person I see with a motorbike trailer and ask them where they bought it! Except that my Thai is good enough for me to ask the question, but not good enough to understand the response :)

Any and all helpful responses appreciated... thank you...

there is a motorbike trailer maker in most provinces. I got my in Surat, less than 3k baht, they make them next to the highway. modified it here in phuket with a trailer hitch and ball from Europe. 500 baht for some steel and welding

good luck searching