Dsl Modem Compatibility

wincen

I will be in Thailand for about a year and will be signing at least a six moth lease somewere.

I don't know what my internet options will be but if I can get ADSL I will.

Is it worht it to bring my DSL modem from the US and my wireless router for my Thanks

But remember that for US items (110v), you'll need to buy a stepdown transformer. Thailand is 220v.

Don't be fooled by the fact that the sockets take US plugs. - you plug in your router or modem - and they'll quite likely get fried. (as one person did to his Vonage router...)

For the Wireless router - you might have to ensure you're only using the channels allowed in Thailand. It should just be some sort of setting on the router...

Edited by bkk_mike

But remember that for US items (110v), you'll need to buy a stepdown transformer. Thailand is 220v.

Don't be fooled by the fact that the sockets take US plugs. - you plug in your router or modem - and they'll quite likely get fried. (as one person did to his Vonage router...)

Thanks, I'll look at the AC adapter to see if it reads 110/220. Most electornics here these days automatically handles both.

Which part of Thailand will you live in? In Bangkok, there are at least 2 service providers offering ADSL. Several other provincial areas have ADSL, too.

Is it worht it to bring my DSL modem from the US and my wireless router for my Thanks

Did you mean "...for your laptop", or something similar? I think you should take your networking equipment with you, as you might be able to use it.

My Linksys wireless router, bought in the US, had a 110 volt only adapter. Bought a 220 v replacement here for 100 baht. Everything else I brought was 100-240.

Most of the ADSL accounts here use PPPoE or PPPoA. Make sure your modem can handle both (or the one used by whichever provider you select).