2,000 New Elite Card Users Targeted In '05

george

I recollect reading an interview with one of the original elite card management flunkies in which he stated that the purpose of the elite card was not solely for people to live here long-term or to purchase land.  Sorta like, yes all these benefits are available to card holders but we would much prefer that they didn't actually take advantage of any.

Which of course is typical Thai-think. Give us your money, farang, and then **** off.

Whether the Thais like it or not, and however much the government may try to deny it to themselves, Thailand is not an "elite" anything. It is a cheap, downmarket, mass-tourist destination, also attractive to predominently male retirees because their pension funds will go a lot further than in their own countries. It is time that the TAT and other government agencies abandoned their self-delusion and realized precisely where their target market really lies. They might then discover the benefits of abandoning pie-in-the-sky "elitist" schemes, and doing something to try to shore-up the declining tourist arrivals from the market segments who actually find the country attractive. A good start might be not shutting down entertainment venues at a ridiculously early hour, directing police to refrain from raiding clubs and night-spots demanding passports and urine tests, and perhaps doing something to relax the Byzantine paper-chase for people who genuinely wish to retire in Thailand.

Of course as another poster said, it won't happen. Som num nah.

It is true that in general Thailand attacts downmarket tourists... as well as low quality expats.

It is true that these two categories of people participate greatly to the economy of the country.

It is true that it hurts the economy when these two groups are hurt by strict and useless rules.

But, this should not be a reason to stop to attract people for the top end of the market.

Elite Card is, in my opinion, a very interesting product for a limited number of people (see my previous posts).

Now, for the people who can't afford it or simply don't see any personal benefit in aquiring it, no problem, there will be the Thai Visa Gold Card.

I strongly support the creators of this new card, since it has a potential market and all constructive ideas should be encouraged.

At the same time, reading the comments of the members on the forum about this potential new Thai Visa Gold Card would make Thailand Eilte members laugh.

The very same members who criticize Thailand Elite would like to enjoy the same kind of benefits, discounts everywhere and for everyone, etc... nearly for free.

Everything comes at a price and the purpose of both Thailand Elite and Thai Visa Gold Card is... to make money!!! Which means that "someone" "somewhere" must pay for these benefits.

And who could critisize the companies running these cards since making money is the goal of everyone...

Two cards for two markets.

Thailand Elite offers me a free companion ticket everytime I buy my First Class plane ticket (interesting)...

Thailand Elite puts me in contact with key people in the country (priceless)...

Thailand Elite makes my life easy in the country (very convenient)...

Thailand Elite invites me to cocktail parties at high end clubs (enjoyable)...

Thailand Elite helps me organize events (highly valuable)...

Thailand Elite takes care of all my visa (so comfortable)...

Thailand Elite gives me the use of conference rooms for my meetings (great)...

Thailand Elite invites members to top CEO and business meetings... (valuable contacts)

Thailand Elite upgrades me to executive suites at my hotels (that's nice)...

Thailand Elite gives me discounts here and there... (well, they give I take)

I think I made a very good investment with the card, and the new strategy of the company suits me very well.

Thailand can have mass-tourism AND upper-end visitors or residents at the same time... Where is the problem?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand can have mass-tourism AND upper-end visitors or residents at the same time... Where is the problem?

The problem appears to be the slow-but-sure alienantion of the country's traditional markets through petty harrasment and sporadic enforcement of pointless regulations, whilst at the same time being unable (for reasons which would seem to be obvious to everyone except the government) to attract a more upmarket clientelle in sufficient numbers to make up the shortfall.

Edited by Rumpole

The problem appears to be the slow-but-sure alienantion of the country's traditional markets through petty harrasment and sporadic enforcement of pointless regulations, whilst at the same time being unable (for reasons which would seem to be obvious to everyone except the government) to attract a more upmarket clientelle in sufficient numbers to make up the shortfall.

Well put, Mr. Rumpole. While gerry is correct that Thailand CAN support both markets, it is mainly in the numbers involved that is of note. Just how many high-end visitors are interested in coming to Thailand? Certainly it's in the hundreds, while the other visitor markets number in the millions. The fact that they have managed to con (I mean sell) 800 Elite cards during the 3 years they've been selling it is testament to the non-interest that most high-end visitors have in Thailand. One should not forget in this discussion that Mr. T had anticipated selling 1,000,000 Elite cards, generating (hahaha) ONE trillion baht. His pie-in-the-sky, delusional beliefs has been so utterly failing, but yet so expected by everyone, "except the government."

They do try very hard. :o

Came across a web-site, now in English and Japanese. However, those I know, who actually paid the 1 million are living in LOS and therefore are the less desirable. They do use all the benefits too often. Reduced TG-tickets, airport-transfer etc.

The only good thing is the 5 years' visa.

• 3 weeks later...

Just came through the airport a few days ago. Long queues, as usual, at the immigration counters. I noticed that one of the counters was exclusive for Thailand Elite members. Unfortunately no members came through while I was waiting so I did not get to witness the speed and ease of their process. Instead the Elite counter had become a distribution point for immigration forms. But that counter must get a lot of traffic because its unique Welcome carpet was looking a little worn out.

Just came through the airport a few days ago. Long queues, as usual, at the immigration counters. I noticed that one of the counters was exclusive for Thailand Elite members. Unfortunately no members came through while I was waiting so I did not get to witness the speed and ease of their process. Instead the Elite counter had become a distribution point for immigration forms. But that counter must get a lot of traffic because its unique Welcome carpet was looking a little worn out.

The counter is not in use anymore.

Attendants meet the members at the plane and bring them directly to the lounge where they wait, while the immigration formalities are done and luggage are collected for them.