Hua Hin High Season

sharecropper

If for whatever reason, you are not spending Xmas in Hua Hin, then why would you be interested in how the high season did, or did not, go :)

What a dopey post. But I'll answer anyway.

I had to WORK.

And why would my physical prescence be required for me to express a valid interest about a location? Do I have to go to Chiang Mai to post about that city then drive all the way back to Pattaya when I want to post about Pattaya?

Duh.

Sharecropper,

I guess if you consider my post to be dopey then thats your privilige.

Perhaps I could have elaborated and touched on 'vested interests' as a reason for seeking info on Hua Hins ups or downs. My base is in the south of Thailand and if I want to know whats going on then I have enough people in the know to let me know. If as you say you have spent the previous 7 years in Hua hin then one must expect that you have established contacts who can enlighten you. :)

Sharecropper,

Perhaps I could have elaborated and touched on 'vested interests' as a reason for seeking info on Hua Hins ups or downs. My base is in the south of Thailand and if I want to know whats going on then I have enough people in the know to let me know. If as you say you have spent the previous 7 years in Hua hin then one must expect that you have established contacts who can enlighten you. :)

Thanks for clarifying.

When I am there we just bum around and do absolutely nothing except sleep, ahem, eat, drink, beach and relax. No contacts there I'm afraid, as of choice!

The high-season in Hua Hin this year was not December. All hotels reported low bookings in December, but January, February and March are on level with previous years.

The town was very busy in December though, buzzing with life I would say :)

Most being due to the 100th anniversary of Hua Hin, so there have been loads of event, big and small, but put together they made December nice and lively.

The new market (which I cannot remember the name of) towards Kao Takhiab is a nice addition to the attractions, and especially the Thai people have helped make it a nice venue.

Sharecropper,

Perhaps I could have elaborated and touched on 'vested interests' as a reason for seeking info on Hua Hins ups or downs. My base is in the south of Thailand and if I want to know whats going on then I have enough people in the know to let me know. If as you say you have spent the previous 7 years in Hua hin then one must expect that you have established contacts who can enlighten you. :D

Thanks for clarifying.

When I am there we just bum around and do absolutely nothing except sleep, ahem, eat, drink, beach and relax. No contacts there I'm afraid, as of choice!

Thanks for your honest response, however we have come full circle, why the interest? I do not expect an answer to this one. Have a good week ahead. :)

Sharecropper,

Perhaps I could have elaborated and touched on 'vested interests' as a reason for seeking info on Hua Hins ups or downs. My base is in the south of Thailand and if I want to know whats going on then I have enough people in the know to let me know. If as you say you have spent the previous 7 years in Hua hin then one must expect that you have established contacts who can enlighten you. :D

Thanks for clarifying.

Thanks for your honest response, however we have come full circle, why the interest? I do not expect an answer to this one. Have a good week ahead. :)

I'm interested in a lot of things, and Hua Hin is one! I see it as an escape route from Pattaya if I ever want to buy somewhere quieter and cleaner but still by the sea.

The high-season in Hua Hin this year was not December. All hotels reported low bookings in December, but January, February and March are on level with previous years.

The town was very busy in December though, buzzing with life I would say :)

Most being due to the 100th anniversary of Hua Hin, so there have been loads of event, big and small, but put together they made December nice and lively.

The new market (which I cannot remember the name of) towards Kao Takhiab is a nice addition to the attractions, and especially the Thai people have helped make it a nice venue.

Thanks a lot for this. Sounds excellent.

Hehe no no, that I know the name of :)

I'm not to familiar with the location names south of town as I live North of Hua Hin, but it's after you turn left towards Kao Takhiab of Petchkasem Road. About 500 meters or so and then it's on the left. It's an outdoor venue and it's very nice. It's right next to a hotel, can't remember which though, Hyatt maybe?

I'm not to familiar with the location names south of town as I live North of Hua Hin, but it's after you turn left towards Kao Takhiab of Petchkasem Road. About 500 meters or so and then it's on the left. It's an outdoor venue and it's very nice. It's right next to a hotel, can't remember which though, Hyatt maybe?

I think you may be talking about Cicada Market. I haven't been there yet but I've heard that it is indeed worth a visit. It's only been open a short time (since October) but I have heard good reports from other residents. It seems to be an OTOP style family oriented market that that focuses on art, both real and audio/visual. They also have live shows or some kind of entertainment including live music concerts. At first I heard that it was only a Saturday market (3 p.m. to 9 p.m. I think) but I'm not sure if they are open other days now or not.

It is in Takiab next to the Hyatt hotel so I think this may be the one you are referring to.

I think you may be talking about Cicada Market. I haven't been there yet but I've heard that it is indeed worth a visit. It's only been open a short time (since October) but I have heard good reports from other residents. It seems to be an OTOP style family oriented market that that focuses on art, both real and audio/visual. They also have live shows or some kind of entertainment including live music concerts. At first I heard that it was only a Saturday market (3 p.m. to 9 p.m. I think) but I'm not sure if they are open other days now or not.

It is in Takiab next to the Hyatt hotel so I think this may be the one you are referring to.

Yep that's it. It started out only being open on Saturdays, but now they are open every day. Saturday the people with stalls there have to pay a fee for their stall, the other days they can be there free of charge.

It's not a big market like the local markets, e.g. at the Paimai (sp?) driving range. Last time I was there I would say there were around 30-40 stalls. Mostly selling clothes, jewelry and stuff for kids. Not the clothes you are used to seeing from the night market or other tourist infected areas, but more stylish I would say. I bought a lot of stuff there for presents, really nice.

There is also another new(ish) Thai style market place at the other (north) end of Hua Hin. It is called PlearnWan and can be recognized by the entrance which looks like a very large, very strangely shaped wooden building but is actually the entrance to a hidden market behind. I haven't been there either, but my wife raves about it as a place to walk around and relax over coffee or drinks, and it is very popular with Thais as the area around it has been full of Bangkok license plated vehicles lately.

It was built as part of the Hua Hin 100th year celebration. Here's the web site:

PlearnWan

There is also another new(ish) Thai style market place at the other (north) end of Hua Hin. It is called PlearnWan and can be recognized by the entrance which looks like a very large, very strangely shaped wooden building but is actually the entrance to a hidden market behind. I haven't been there either, but my wife raves about it as a place to walk around and relax over coffee or drinks, and it is very popular with Thais as the area around it has been full of Bangkok license plated vehicles lately.

It was built as part of the Hua Hin 100th year celebration. Here's the web site:

PlearnWan

I couldn't read the map on the website. Where is it located relative to the airport?

• 2 months later...