Auto Insurance Scam

halarpohala

the first year insurance was included in the price of the car but the second year i was on my own and the car saleswoman came to my house and asked for 18000 baht in cash so she could buy me po ro bo and first class insurance. i paid and i was told that i was covered and that the paperwork and stickers would be forthcoming. many months and phone calls later still no paperwork or sticker. finally i got into a wreck and called the lady and she sent me from one body shop to another but they would not take the case because i was not insured and in fact i learned that indeed i was not insured and that the saleslady had just pocketed the money. i'd been had.

Why would you hand over 18k without any paperwork being completed there and then. At least a formal receipt or invoice. Some People do seem to bring it on themselves.

I was scammed !!! :)

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Did you receive a bill from the Land Transportation Office or the finance company that indicated the amount of the insurance? When we were still paying off the car, every year my girlfriend would get a bill for so many thousand baht. I made the payment at the bank and after a few weeks, got the insurance sticker (now not used). I got the same thing for the registration. As soon as I paid it at the bank, a week or so later, the sticker would come in the mail to place on the windshield.

We paid the car off and the same thing happened. Some of the years, I would give the money to the saleperson who sold us the car and he took care of paying it and giving us the paperwork later. He only did this as a service as it gave him extra points with the dealership. He is still trying to get me to buy another new car.

Last year or maybe longer, I got pulled over by the police for my po la bo sticker being out of date. After arguing where my friend thought the police was going to arrest me, he let me go. The problem was we forgot to replace the sticker and the police was looking to get something from the farang. Now no more po lo bo so only the registration sticker.

Sounds like the lady got your money and left you in the lurch.

Edited by puyaidon

Today's lesson : use a reputable Broker, do not be afraid to ask for their I.D. and Broker License

or get insurance directly from the insurance company without a broker. cash on spot, docs on spot. sorry tv insurance :)

Unfortunately not a good idea as the insurance company (naturally) will only sell their products which may not be the best for the individual. Also, should there be a dispute with the insurance company, there is nobody to 'help' as many Thai Visa members have found out to their cost.

Today's lesson : use a reputable Broker, do not be afraid to ask for their I.D. and Broker License

or get insurance directly from the insurance company without a broker. cash on spot, docs on spot. sorry tv insurance :)

This is a very good example of some very bad advice that can often be found in forums. For so many reasons that I don't have time into right now, it is to your advanatage to use a good reputable broker like THaivisa. No matter who you use, though, always be careful and get proof of transactions.

This is a very good example of some very bad advice that can often be found in forums. ... and here is an example of just about the worst:

Fact: All private health insurers (including Thai-based) have up to 2 years to find and exclude any pre-existing condition that existed prior to applying for the insurance. After that, they have to cover any pre-existing conditions not already excluded.
Post #9

Yes. In Thailand those nice insurance companies have voluntarily via contract given up their rights to all Thai Civil and Commercial Code Fraud and 'Statute of Limitation' Statutes including those referenced at the bottom of your application.

Fact: All private health insurers (including Thai-based) have up to 2 years to find and exclude any pre-existing condition that existed prior to applying for the insurance. After that, they have to cover any pre-existing conditions not already excluded.
Post #9

However from Tilleke & Gibbins / Bangkok, Thailand:

An insurance contract is defined as an agreement between the insurer and insured, whereby the insurer agrees to make compensation or pay a sum of money in case of contingent loss or any other future event specified in the contract, and the insured agrees to pay the premium.

An insurance contract is voidable if, at the time of its making, the insured, ... knowingly omits facts that would have induced the insurer to raise premiums or refuse to enter into the contract, or knowingly makes false statements in regard to such facts.

So if there is any fraud or concealment in the application as to pre-existing conditions, that whole 2-year notion goes right out the window as the Insurer can declare your contract null and void.

• 6 months later...

Jazzbo is correct.

There is no 2 year time limit.

If the insurance company can prove and has evidence that the applicant misled the company or left out information on the application form, the policy can be canceled from inception.

The omission or information does not have to have anything to do with a pending claim being investigated by the insurance company.

The insurance company will refund your premium less any claims expenses paid.

It is imperative that you declare all conditions on an application form.