I Like Laos

MrHammer

I've only been to Laos on my Visa runs. I hear people complain about doing this. For me it's something I look forward too.

I have only been to Vientiane but still enjoy the few days I spend there. As a Bangkok resident, it's amazing to be able to sit outside drinking a good cup of coffee, with some real french bakery and relax. Most important - No NOISE. Living in Bangkok, you soon forget that there are places where you won't have to suffer noise pollution from cars and commercials everywhere you go.

People are friendly too and civilized. Even for something such as getting to the embassy and back is not a hassle. The tuk-tuk drivers are almost polite and easy to bargain with. The service staff in hotels and bars are friendly and seem genuinely interested in making your stay a pleasant one.

I like the traditional skirts the women are wearing too. I imagine Laos is like Thailand many years ago.

Why is Laos so different from Thailand in terms of customer service and respect?

Is it the 'communist' governments insistence on NOT being a tourist hub? Particularly not a new Cambodja or Pattaya?

Is it that the Laotians have not been exposed to the hordes of Beer Chang vest lager louts? While there sure are some characters in line outside the Thai embassy, not many hardcore tourists seem to make their way up north. Most are expats and residents and of course the backpackers. Everyone seems to behave themselves with a minimum of decency.

How does Laos compare to rural Thailand?

Have you tried visiting Isaan?

Yeah sure, but not for long, though I was supposed to visit Surin with my then girlfriend, but never went. The little I have seen of Isaan, it's more relaxed and generally friendly. Still a lot of noise and shopping malls. Every Thai provincial town looks the same to me.

How many baht (equiv.) for a Marlboro softpack?

Not sure. I found the backpacker/tourist part of Vientiane to be about the same price as Thailand.

What about making a living for people like me from Australia? Is there any kind of work available for normal human beings, or is it a closed shop market like here in Thailand? I'll run out of money before I get tired of a good cigarette unless I find a job, and I know that Thailand has gone back on that promise now that I trusted in some sort of future. What side of the road do taxis drive on in Laos? Is it worth adapting?

absolutely right about Laos,its a pleasant change from thailand.people appear to be shy,polite,less excitable than thais,it just makes for a pleasant change.The bonus of good bread and coffee too.I found price wise not much difference to thailand.Nex time you go,if you have time take the bus to luang prabang,the old laotian capital,different again to vientiane.You can go further north taking a longtail boat up to hua sai(2 day trip) and back into thailand way north of chiang rai,its a great trip.

How many baht (equiv.) for a Marlboro softpack?

Not sure. I found the backpacker/tourist part of Vientiane to be about the same price as Thailand.

What about making a living for people like me from Australia? Is there any kind of work available for normal human beings, or is it a closed shop market like here in Thailand? I'll run out of money before I get tired of a good cigarette unless I find a job, and I know that Thailand has gone back on that promise now that I trusted in some sort of future. What side of the road do taxis drive on in Laos? Is it worth adapting?

I'm really no expert on Laos, but if you are the kind of person that prefers Chiang Mai over Bangkok, then I think you would like Laos. Vientiane is small but big enough to have what you need in shopping and entertainment. Not sure about the job situation. I saw some suits there. Probably difficult to get a job with a Laotian company as I would imagine wages are low. As always, easiest with a multinational or non-profit. There's a bunch of western restaurant and shops around though.

I totally aggree with you mate! I too have to do this visa run every 3 months or so, and I also look forward to it. I live in BKK and it's a nice change for a few days... good food, nice hotels, and of course the women are nice and white skinned too!!!

Yeah, i here ya...

The service staff do seem genuinely interested in making your stay enjoyable and they speak alot better English than most Thais.. Go figure..

Why do Laos people understand my spoken Thai first time and when i speak to Thais in Thai... alowa / alaina / blank stares / run off lauging etc etc...

Never understood this...

I was in Laos last week and sat on my own drinking a nice strong coffee thinking how the service staff in Thailand could learn alot from their Laos counterparts..

I'm sure Thai management will be happy to send their Thai staff to Loas for some service training :)

well Mr hammer, I can agree with you 1000% I love Laos, my wife, son and me have been there 4 times and start to love this country when you go up North or south they are a friendly people, disciplined and polite, not noisy as the Thai's, they follow the law, the food is exelent with a Frence touch, very good breath and beer.

one of or guides is saying whas, first we are Laosian, then Boudist then communist in this order.

The big problem is the condition of the roads specially those to the north after Luang prabang is terrible but they are improving as a landlocked country they have to import almost everything mainly from Thailand, fuel bitumen etc...

:)