Hows Does This Business Concept Work ?

If I was in UK I would not paying for my favorite restaurant foods to be delivered

1. Need to be delivered in timely manner

2. Need to be delivered in proper presentation (meaning not all scrambled up)

If someone can deliver on the timing and quality of service, I think you can make a go of it in areas where there are lots of apartments Uni or whatever

Research is the key to your answer

I believe the OP is asking about the business model of a door-to-door/waiters on wheels enterprise. You know, how do they make money, who is paying them etc. So if anyone knows how these guys make money, please feel free to let the readers know.

TheWalkingMan

Hmmm, I've never heard of that before. I've seen the Chef's Express and Meals on Wheels that charge a fee for delivering meals from varios restaurants, but when their phone rings they already know they have a customer.

I'm guessing this is similar to FoodByPhone which is a great service in Bangkok particularly useful when staying in serviced apts like citadines etc.

Hard to say how well this would work in the uk, as there are a lot of pizza/chinese/curry delivery services not sure what sort of other items you'd want to offer be it pub food or mcdonalds etc. i know mcdonalds offer delivery in other countries but it is not so popular in the uk.

I think these sort of concepts only work in dense populated areas so as to make the delivery driving routes better as it is more economical to do more than 1 deliver/pickup on a single trip. Plus need to think about keeping food hot. Best to aim at flat / apartment blocks etc.

there are zillions of opportunities all around. One must do something with what you can identify yourself, something you really like, without dreaming. Everything new needs lots of patience, perseverance and a bit of luck. Everything else will drop in.

Just drop me PM if you want to communicate about more opportunities.

How does WOW (Waiter on wheels) make coin, heres how.

Lets buy a Double BigMac.

McDonalds = 119b delivered (99b for burger, 20b delivery).

WOW = 155b (Delivery included).

Lets buy a feast from McDonalds, how bout 2 Big macs/2 Cheese burgers/ 20 Chicken McNuggets and 2 choc Sunday's.

McD = 463b (443b for food 20b delivery)

WOW = 740b (Delivery included).

Why anyone orders from them is beyond me, if you spend the time to find the PH number of the business you want food from most are willing to deliver for the Restaurant price and send it Via a motosai at what ever he/she charges (surprised if over 50b).

good work spoonman digging out the figures.

I guess these companies like Waiter On Wheels make it thru good marketing campaigns, good example of brand awareness.

They probably also make bigger mark up on restaurants that dont actually advertise delivery.

So we can gather that hefty mark-ups and a clever marketing are the key to success. Guess I read something like that somewhere in one of those how-to-start-a-business books...

Seriously, run the maths, make a test run and see how you do...(fast) learning by doing is crucial :)

the concept does work and you can offer free delivery and same price as the restaurant. A company in india started with one tuk tuk and now hows over 4000. The model is you need to get the discount from the merchant, lets say 10% and have a minimum order required, lets say $5, so each order nets you 0.50. I believe the fellow in india has some sort of monthly/weekly invoicing system so the merchant has absolutely no fuss, just pays weekly/monthly. So as a restaurant there is absolutely no reason for you not be in their directory, even if you offer your own delivery. more business is more business. Its a business of scale.

www.chefsxp.com

Only 60 Baht flat fee on top of the restaurant rates, even if you order from several restaurants at the same time. Chef XP's prices are often lower than restaurant prices, they do not include the service charge the restaurant normally charges in-house.

Forget foodbyphone as they are ridiculously overpriced.

How this concept would translate in a U.K. environment I am not sure. OP has to try and let us know.