Macbookpro Random Shutdown Anyone?

cyberbillny

Hi,

My MBP's been having problem with shutting down. Symptom: shutdown to black screen after 1 min (or even less than 1 min) after startup, either MAC OS or Windows Bootcamp partitions. Impossible to make it run longer than that 1 minute.

Did some searching and found that push and hold power button at startup (until a loud long beep) will help in the short-term. But the problem resumes as soon as the next time I restart.

Took it to Apple at Siam Discovery, who recommend to push Command, Option, P and R at the same time may help. It helped for 1 week, and now same problem is back.

Wondering if anyone has this problem or know of its cause or a long-term solution.

Thanks a lot!!

- Run the Apple Tech Diag DVD

- Uninstall recently installed apps

- Have them boot off a FW drive in the Apple store and see if the laptop is happy with that. That would rule out HW failure.

- Alternatively, if the laptop is shutting down after 1 minute, boot off the OSX DVD and if the installer stays up, again that would rule out, to some extent, HW failure.

As the parameter reset if the Apple store helped for a week, it does sound like you somehow have managed to end up with a bogus OS setup.

So, if all fails, reinstall:

- Make a backup using eg. CarbonCopyCloner to firewire drive

- Reinstall OS

Sorry, it's sounds really bad and it's rare for something like this to happen on a Mac but starting from scratch is worth it as you currently have a non-usable laptop.

I'm just going to guess that since resetting the PRAM (cmd-opt-p-r) helps, this is likely a hardware issue rather than a software/OS issue. Have a look at this thread in the Apple Support Discussions:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...amp;tstart=2205

You probably need to take your MBP into an Apple authorised service centre and have a repair tech look at it.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm just going to guess that since resetting the PRAM (cmd-opt-p-r) helps, this is likely a hardware issue rather than a software/OS issue. Have a look at this thread in the Apple Support Discussions:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...amp;tstart=2205

You probably need to take your MBP into an Apple authorised service centre and have a repair tech look at it.

thnks bubba