Sole Proprietors For Tourist-related Business

Am gearing up to open a business of attract tourists. I won't go in to detail right here, other than to say it will involve camping facilities at rural property.

Would appreciate advice on how to get legal. Have heard 'sole proprietorship' may be viable option. I have a 'tambian ban' (yellow book) in my farang name. Have Thai wife, but would prefer to do the biz in my name.

As for Thai corporation: I went that route several years ago for a different sort of biz, and actually got the Thai Corp status, but later killed it, as the biz didn't take off as planned. I checked recently at the gov't office and they told me I could revive the original corp status and use it again. However, the sole proprietor thing might suit me better as I'd like to do things low key.

A Sole Proprietorship will only be obtainable for American nationals. Through Sunbelt Asia's numerous years of legal experience we have found the process of setting up a Sole Proprietorship to be complicated and time consuming. For your information, please be aware that if you plan to revive your company you will be required to pay penalties if you have failed to submit your monthly VAT and carry out your annual company audit.

We will be happy to give you a free consultation on this matter should you wish.

Emile de Marsac,

Legal Advisor,

Sunbelt Asia Co. Ltd,

[email protected]

from the OP: I am American
....the process of setting up a Sole Proprietorship to be complicated and time consuming.

shucks, I was hoping it would be relatively painless - but am not surprised, this being Thailand.

A little patience with paperwork and your sole proprietorship may save you a lot of taxes go for it.

from the OP: I am American
....the process of setting up a Sole Proprietorship to be complicated and time consuming.

shucks, I was hoping it would be relatively painless - but am not surprised, this being Thailand.

Why not set up the sole proprietorship in your wifes name?

• 2 weeks later...

I may wind up setting up in wife's name. However, two considerations:

1. she's hill tribe and doesn't yet have an ID, but hopefully will get one in about 6 weeks. She's been working on it, with the pattern of going to government appointments every two months, paying money, then going later, paying more money, etc etc, plus paying money to elder hill tribers to vouch that she was born. Such is the pattern of trying to get things done legally in Thailand.

2. People break up, and we've all heard stories of messy endings - between farang Thai.

As mentioned in the OP: If anyone has specific info on what's entailed on setting up 'sole proprietorship' for an American intending to do business in Thailand, please offer up some details. I can be contacted by direct message via T.Visa, or email. Thanks.