Arriving At 2am. Best Safe Non-scam Way To Get Into Central Bkk From Airport?

idiot farang

being a regular flier I never use the metered stand when arriving. I go upstairs to departures and use a taxi that has just dropped someone off. No extra 50 Baht and they are happy as they have a fair back into town. I just guess they are more likely to be honest as the fair to the airport may be a one off for them as opposed to being their regular with some form of regular scam.

I have done this also...but the last trip there were several police up there. Not letting ANY taxis pickup passengers. One tried and the cop ran over and made him move on...I thought the cop was going to smash him one! So, for an extra 50B, it ain't worth the hassles. From now on, I will just go the regular taxi stand. Never had a problem there...always used the meter. Plus, if you are a newbie, the people at the stand will help with directions for your driver.

Always take a 'Taxi Meter' anytime you are coming from the airport. Ignore all of the people offering you a taxi. Find the taxi stand and pay them 50 baht (unless they cancelled that fee) and wait for your taxi. Make sure they start the meter (as with anywhere in Thailand) as soon as they start driving. If they don't, tell them to turn it on. If they refuse (as with anywhere in Thailand), tell them to stop and get out immediately.

I tried the official stand once, but got ripped off & had a long queue to face.

Now I go upstairs to the arrivals, & grab a cab coming through there.

I don't let them grab my bag or get in until we have negotiated a fair fare or he has agreed to use the meter.

One traick up here is to hassle you to death to get in the can quickly, as they are not meant to be there, the police are coming etc.

Stand firm.

Last time the cabbie muttered something about the fare & being tired I foolishly got in. A few hundreds yards on he started changing the fare. I demanded he stop the cab so I could get out. That changed the tune - but I would have been more sensible to get it straught before I got in.

Reading the OP post

Arriving At 2am. Best Safe Non-scam Way To Get Into Central Bkk From Airport?

I can see some of you been scammed at the official taxi stand (i did) and some go scammed getting a taxi at the departure / arrival!

Anyone go scammed from an AOT limousine (outside price charge)

I think that everyone who has used an AOT limo got "scammed" because their prices are so high. :)

There is a world of difference between getting a meter-taxi during the day and after 2.00am.

The chances of having problems in the early hours are massive.

Use AOT limo for a safe journey in a decent vehicle, pre-paid with full receipt of driver details etc.

If you gamble with a meter-taxi (especially if alone) you gamble your personal safety against receiving a drunk/drugged/aggressive driver with a 'faulty' meter and a ride into Bangkok He*l.

You pays your money you take your choice.

I have nine years of regular experience in/out of BKK airport. Some of above posters have been once or twice on holiday or have been here so long the last airport they used was Don Muang.

I have taken the taxis are suvarnabhumi maybe 20times in the past year, and have only had two or three problems. One time while arriving from the States very tired, I took a non-meter taxi who agreed for 400 baht to town, but then took me to a shady hotel I didn't want to go to and wasted my time, then said 600 baht when we arrived.

As far as meter taxis go, I have had on that had a fake meter. I wasn't positive about it, but it was 485 baht to sukhumvit, and I thought the "4" up front looked larger than the rest of the numbers. I compared it to another taxi later in the day and it was infact different, rigged meter.

I had another metered taxi turn off his meter upon arriving and said an amount that was around 100 baht more expensive than the fare was, and this kind of confused me on what to do. I did actually remember the amount before we arrived and said I won't pay more than that amount, and he got upset but after talking to reception agreed. So, he cost himself some money and a tip by turning off the meter :D

And of course I had one that started out fine, but turned off the meter soon as we got on the highway and said 500 baht to town. I was with my girlfriend then who was upset but didn't want to get out on the highway, so I dealt with it. Reported him afterwards. Girlfriend didn't let me call the police :)

I have taken the taxis are suvarnabhumi maybe 20times in the past year, and have only had two or three problems. One time while arriving from the States very tired, I took a non-meter taxi who agreed for 400 baht to town, but then took me to a shady hotel I didn't want to go to and wasted my time, then said 600 baht when we arrived.

As far as meter taxis go, I have had on that had a fake meter. I wasn't positive about it, but it was 485 baht to sukhumvit, and I thought the "4" up front looked larger than the rest of the numbers. I compared it to another taxi later in the day and it was infact different, rigged meter.

I had another metered taxi turn off his meter upon arriving and said an amount that was around 100 baht more expensive than the fare was, and this kind of confused me on what to do. I did actually remember the amount before we arrived and said I won't pay more than that amount, and he got upset but after talking to reception agreed. So, he cost himself some money and a tip by turning off the meter :D

And of course I had one that started out fine, but turned off the meter soon as we got on the highway and said 500 baht to town. I was with my girlfriend then who was upset but didn't want to get out on the highway, so I dealt with it. Reported him afterwards. Girlfriend didn't let me call the police :)

Thank you for sharing your scam experiences. Unfortunately after midnight is a dangerous time to take taxi-meters from the airport. It is a case of Russian Roulette. It is much more dangerous if travelling alone or if you are female.

Unfortunately some of the posters above, who boast about never having bad taxi-meter experiences either rarely leave/arrive in Thailand or else are fantasists who belong to this forum yet have never set foot in Thailand. (Names withheld according to forum rules).

Members,

What then is a good negotiated rate from swampy to say Nana area? There is a definite difference between a lighter-traffic fair and the fair during rush hour or even heavier traffic. What would be considered a good deal for fares in both scenarios?

Members,What then is a good negotiated rate from swampy to say Nana area? There is a definite difference between fairs during lighter-traffic and those during rush hour or even heavier traffic.What would be considered a;good deal for fares in both scenarios? Also is there a genearl difference/ guideline in fairs going to the airport as opposed to coming into Sukhumvit?

Edited by wetface

Thank you for sharing your scam experiences. Unfortunately after midnight is a dangerous time to take taxi-meters from the airport. It is a case of Russian Roulette. It is much more dangerous if travelling alone or if you are female.

Unfortunately some of the posters above, who boast about never having bad taxi-meter experiences either rarely leave/arrive in Thailand or else are fantasists who belong to this forum yet have never set foot in Thailand. (Names withheld according to forum rules).

I can believe that it is a dangerous time after midnight, but since you are the one making the claim, what specifically is your evidence that there is a significant problem to the point it should be described as "Russian Roulette"?

How do you know who leaves or arrives in Thailand and how often they do it?

You may have just a tad bit low of bar to define someone as a "fantasist".

I can concur with this as I also got jipped once. Taxi guy turned the meter on and about 50 meters down the road as soon as we left I looked at the meter and it was already showing 39 baht and ticking quite fast thereafter. This was definitely rigged.

Total was about 520 with tolls. Suffice to say it was late at night and not a baht was tipped.

I think that everyone who has used an AOT limo got "scammed" because their prices are so high. :)

Well put, this says it all.

How can an agreed fare for a pre-paid journey be a 'scam'?

I wouldn't really consider it a "scam" for experienced BKK travelers who know their options, fully understand that the AOT prices are higher (and maybe why), and choose to pay that price anyway. It seems to become more scam-like when it is a 1st-time tourist who is repeatedly approached inside the terminal (those AOT people can be persistent!) and told that XX is the going rate to XX, before the tourist even has a chance to get outside, check out the situation, and realize that there are other taxis.

I agree, though, that "scam" is probably a strong word in this situation, especially when the price is pre-negotiated. I was joking in my previous post when I said that anyone who had used AOT had been scammed. Perhaps a better word might be along the lines of "unfair" or "deceptive" (at least to visitors who don't know any better). I can't seem to think of the perfect word to describe it.

I agree, though, that "scam" is probably a strong word in this situation, especially when the price is pre-negotiated. I was joking in my previous post when I said that anyone who had used AOT had been scammed. Perhaps a better word might be along the lines of "unfair" or "deceptive" (at least to visitors who don't know any better). I can't seem to think of the perfect word to describe it.

With AOT you get a quality motor vehicle and insurance if you end up in a crash. It is pre-paid with computer receipt.

Many meter-taxis don't have rear seat belts and have bald tyres and insane drivers. At night it is worse, they might be drunk or on mind-blowing drugs that alter their brain chemistry.

Most Thai women won't use a meter-taxi if alone. I suggest that farang male also avoid using them alone, during the hours of darkness.

Of course there will be the usual string of Thailand 'experts' who 'pooh pooh' my philosophy but they will all have European ISP's and derive vicarious pleasure from contributing nefarious T.V. post advice, whilst sweating away the days for their once-yearly Xmas three week Pattaya holiday.

With AOT you get a quality motor vehicle and insurance if you end up in a crash. It is pre-paid with computer receipt.

Many meter-taxis don't have rear seat belts and have bald tyres and insane drivers. At night it is worse, they might be drunk or on mind-blowing drugs that alter their brain chemistry.

Most Thai women won't use a meter-taxi if alone. I suggest that farang male also avoid using them alone, during the hours of darkness.

Of course there will be the usual string of Thailand 'experts' who 'pooh pooh' my philosophy but they will all have European ISP's and derive vicarious pleasure from contributing nefarious T.V. post advice, whilst sweating away the days for their once-yearly Xmas three week Pattaya holiday.

:) feel free to check my ISP :D

Not use a taxi when it is dark? You must be kidding! Put on a seat belt in the back seat of a car? Again, you must be kidding!

most Thai women? ... I doubt that! I would agree than Many Thai women won't and they are the same ones that would avoid ANY situation that put them alone with a stranger!

What about farang females? I guess that means I shouldn't be concerned about taking a meter taxi at night alone? :) Just kidding.

As someone who can see people's IP's I can tell you that you are wrong, and this ridiculous assumption you keep giving that anyone who does not agree with your opinion is inexperienced and uninformed is rubbish. Please respect other members' opinions as you expect them to do yours. You are not the only alleged frequent traveller here, and your experiences are no more valid than anyone else's.

I reckon the consensus looks like the taxi stand. I mean, I'm not a frequent taxi user at Suvarnabhumi but I have used the taxi stand before, the price (Bt350) was agreed before hand and the driver asked for that and got more. Whilst waiting for my connecting flight just over a week ago I saw people trying to jump over the barrier at the departure entrance to save themselves Bt50 (a pound for goodness sake!) and the coppers having a right pop at the drivers for trying it on. There were also police vehicles sounding sirens and giving warnings over their speakers to drivers who dropped off and then hung around.

I would recommend the taxi stand, as for the meter, how much are we talking about saving here? Bt100? Ok if you fancy having a strop and jumping out of a car with your luggage over £2 then go for it, but as with any taxi in any city, agree the price before you get in and you'll be fine.

When it comes to spitting out the dummy and having a pop at people about their IP addresses when all someone asked about is a taxi.....

I cant deleter any part of the quote so gotta quote whole thing I guess. You will save between 100-500 baht depending where you are going in Sukhumvit. Opting to use a non metered taxi is nonsensical. (NORMAL taxis, not talking about limo services, which I would never use but I agree are safer). I find the haggling types and the tuk-tuks you negotiate with are among the most scummy taxis. You might try Phuket out if you like the negotiating with taxis. 300 baht minimum going anywhere, around 6x the price in BKK. Also, the metered drivers carry bags for you and help you out of te car I would say around 80% of the time. The time I got ripped off was around 2 pm though, bright as could be.

I reckon the consensus looks like the taxi stand. I mean, I'm not a frequent taxi user at Suvarnabhumi but I have used the taxi stand before, the price (Bt350) was agreed before hand and the driver asked for that and got more. Whilst waiting for my connecting flight just over a week ago I saw people trying to jump over the barrier at the departure entrance to save themselves Bt50 (a pound for goodness sake!) and the coppers having a right pop at the drivers for trying it on. There were also police vehicles sounding sirens and giving warnings over their speakers to drivers who dropped off and then hung around.

I would recommend the taxi stand, as for the meter, how much are we talking about saving here? Bt100? Ok if you fancy having a strop and jumping out of a car with your luggage over £2 then go for it, but as with any taxi in any city, agree the price before you get in and you'll be fine.

When it comes to spitting out the dummy and having a pop at people about their IP addresses when all someone asked about is a taxi.....

Edited by czGLoRy