Upcoming Unrest

kcore

Greetings - just wonder what folks in CM are thinking about the possible political unrest that seems likely regarding red shirt protest. I will be arriving on the 18th with the intention of spending about 3 months in the North. I want to get out to explore and look for some long term digs in and around CM and am wondering just how safe it will be and accesible for travel. How long could this situation go on for....is it going to be a big thing or is it more like "the dog is bigger than his bite" scenario.

kcore

As a traveller, I wouldn't worry much about the political situation. Although there is a violent red shirt faction in Chiang Mai, the incidents in the past were very limited. The average tourist is far more likely to suffer damage from red taxis than from red shirt demonstrators. And at this time of the year, I'd worry more about the pollution than about a bunch of red shirt crazies on the street.

Cheers, CMX

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun KCore,

Welcome to Chiang Mai.

Of course many of us long-term expats living in CM are concerned about the possibility of social upheaval, but we agree with the other good folks who replied here that you (as Farang) will most likely have nothing to fear.

The dominant concern we feel is more for our Thai friends and neighbors, and their peace of mind, and their emotional, social, and economic well-being.

It is perhaps only common sense to avoid wearing red or yellow, particularly yellow, and checking in here on TV CM can help alert you to any demonstrations going on where you might want to avoid going through a certain part of town on certain days, or certain times.

You are arriving for the hottest three months of the year, and, usually, the most polluted months of the year. Your nagging Aunt Sally, who always knows what's best for you, says : "be really careful in terms of skin (and head) exposure to the sun, and be sure and stay fully hydrated !" :) By the way, when Aunt Sally says "hydrated" : she's not referring to beer, but water.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

what a lot of northern Thais call "seelaw" is what central Thais call "songtaew". And like blackartemis said, it means 4 wheels. Likewise, "samlaw" (3 wheels) often means tuk-tuk, or else a bicycle taxi like you see around kad luang. But a bicycle (jakrayan in central Thai) is "rot teep" in northern Thai. Apparently they don't bother to count the wheels when it's less than 3 :)

Don't get involved in Thai politics or express controversial opinions (and it's all controversial now), don't wear red or yellow shirts, and never, ever show disrespect to the King or the Buddhist religion. Follow these simple rules and the greatest risk you'll face in Thailand are the crazy drivers, or crazy ladyboys if you're into that sort of thing.

what a lot of northern Thais call "seelaw" is what central Thais call "songtaew". And like blackartemis said, it means 4 wheels. Likewise, "samlaw" (3 wheels) often means tuk-tuk, or else a bicycle taxi like you see around kad luang. But a bicycle (jakrayan in central Thai) is "rot teep" in northern Thai. Apparently they don't bother to count the wheels when it's less than 3 :)

I thought songtaew means 2 benches.

The most violent place I've encountered in Chiang Mai is Spicy around 3am. However, I think there will be protests before and after the 'establishment' move to close down Thaksin inc. when they take his money from him on the 26th of this month.

Edited by Loaded

• 4 months later...

songthaew - two benches (or rows)

seelaw - four wheels

usually both of these words refer to the same thing, at least in the North

I am sure that with 4 months to find out the poster will know this by now.

I'm in a pedantic mood (most unusual for me).

รถสองแถว - rotsongthaew does refer to the pick-up taxis but the word แถว - thaew translates to a row, column, file, line or queue amoungst other words. :whistling:

Edited by Blinky Bill

Nahhhh Its not that pollutted... at least not now. Burning season was over long ago. Skies are clear and you can see Doi Suthep from everywhere int he city now... even from Payap. Which In Late Feb - May, you couldnt see it sometimes. I remember looking up one day when they skies cleared and you can see things well and going... "&lt;deleted&gt; where that mountain come from?!?!?!" <--- Serious I really said that. lol

รถสองแถว - rotsongthaew does refer to the pick-up taxis but the word แถว - thaew translates to a row, column, file, line or queue amoungst other words. :whistling:

Now you're going to have to explain what pedantic means. :rolleyes:

Nahhhh Its not that pollutted... at least not now. Burning season was over long ago. Skies are clear and you can see Doi Suthep from everywhere int he city now... even from Payap. Which In Late Feb - May, you couldnt see it sometimes. I remember looking up one day when they skies cleared and you can see things well and going... "&lt;deleted&gt; where that mountain come from?!?!?!" <--- Serious I really said that. lol

Can hardly see Doi Suteph from here and that is near CMU. Beautiful rain is falling.

Can hardly see Doi Suteph from here and that is near CMU. Beautiful rain is falling.

dam_n share! Out east from Super highway to Ring rd 2 is just gray clouds and lots of wind!

Like two rows of seats eh? Aw crap, now I'm being pedantic.

Like two rows of seats eh? Aw crap, now I'm being pedantic.

Does that mean that if they put the extra row in like they do for the school runs they are sarmthaew.