How Can I Survive In Bangkok For 2 Weeks W/ Limited Money?

FuninPlural

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't be sarcastic and dismissive, since many others have already covered those bases...

But...I should ask..is this a good time to point out to the OP that Thai Immigration has just announced they plan to start enforcing the financial sufficiency regulation, i.e., requiring inbound travelers to BKK Airport to show between 10,000 and 20,000 baht worth of funds, proof that they have the funds to cover the expenses of a typical trip???

Beyond that, folks haven't mentioned:

While the Miami is a dump, there's a pretty cheap guesthouse with shared accommodations in Suk Soi 11, just a hop from Nana BTS... The Suk 11 Hostel, with single rooms starting at 500 baht per night, including Internet.

There's also the Crown Hotel, near Suk Soi 27 and 29...

Here's what Stickman wrote about it recently:

I'd like to mention the place I always used to stay when I came here as a sex tourist during the eighties. The amazing Crown Hotel near the entrance to Sukhumvit soi 29. I've no idea how I ended up at this place the first time I came, but after that I never stayed anywhere else. It is a shabby, rundown establishment with absolutely no pretensions at all. All the rooms featured a double plus a single bedded room and nasty patterned Formica walls Bathrooms with big old ancient baths, and all this lit with 40 watt light bulbs, which I replaced with 100 watt bulbs that I bought in 7/11 just across the road. Rooms were 500 baht and 450 when you became a regular. The ground floor has short time rooms, which I still use occasionally for 200 baht. So, the place was and is a bit run down, but the staff are friendly and the location is great. Walking distance from Cowboy, Washington Square, and the bars on Soi 22. The little coffee shop always had good food at reasonable prices, I went in there the other day and it hasn't changed in 20 years, and probably since a lot longer ago. Ancient tour stickers around the place give it a rather sad atmosphere. At night all the local cops used to come here to play cards and gamble and get drunk.

Re eating, every major department store has a Thai-oriented food court with usually a dozen or more small food counters with all different varieties of food, usually 25 to 50 baht per dish. For eating on the cheap, and being reasonably assured of some level of hygiene, they're always a good bet.

Re 24 hour places, a good number of the McDonald's around town, and a handful of the Burger King's, stay open around the clock. The MickieD's on Silom Road opposite Soi Patpong is quite a place for sightseeing in the late night hours.

As for the bars with (often-Friday) free food nights, you should point out that most of them require the customer to at least buy one alcohol drink at regular prices, which sounds like it would be beyond the means of the OP... Maybe better to stay in Japan... :)

I think that there are still 100-150 baht rooms 'behind' Kao San.

I used to stay at one called 'Central GH' (up the back lane behind the Burger King). Had lots of single plywood rooms, with fan starting at 80-100. Bathrooms down the hall. Free internet and the best cats in Thailand (really great cats!). More 'back-packy' than 'touristy'

Yep!

I stayed there 25 years ago and it is still the same dump, nothing has changed. Asked prices recently : 100-150 baht.

Was fun 25 years ago, when i was young and poor.

Here is the main problem I will only be able to budget about $300-$400 for the whole 2 weeks.

(...)

I am studying Japanese and will continue to study it during these 2 weeks, but also I'd like to know if there is anywhere that Japanese tourists like to go.

I used to live on such money per month in Tokyo in the years 1999-2000 what allowed me to save the bigger part of my scholarship. Now it would be probably impossible for me (in the years 2007-2009, also in Japan, my monthly expenses were more than double that amount) but then I was in my early 20s and lived almost like a hermit. :) No entertainment, girls etc. And the student dormitory I lived in was very, very cheap (about 3 thousand yen per month). So it should be possible also in Bangkok, the question is what you demand from life.

You will surely meet many Japanese people in the main tourist areas like Khao San, Wat Phra Kaew etc.

Edited by joorakee

Best poster: there is a DAFT simple answer to all your porblems: BUY A JAPANESE GUIDEBOOK (...) [as the JPNese are FAR more useful as the english)

I agree, the Chikyū no arukikata series guidebook is the best one I have ever had but the OP writes above he doesn't speak or read Japanese.

Edited by joorakee

Biggest worry, when you say you have no back up funds, is health. Do you have adequate insurance?

How are you going to pay the bills if hospitalised due to an illness or accident? (as simple as stumbling on an uneven footpath & breaking your anke).

Several posters have suggested buying water from 7-11. Why, when the guy is on a tight budget? 7-11's are convenience stores and their prices reflect that. Probably one of the most expensive places to buy water in Thailand! Cheaper even on the bus station. For any supplies like that get down some small side sois to independant Mom n Pop shops. 1/2 the price of 7-11.

Asanee gives excellent advice, apart from also being a 7-11 promoter!

Anyway, lets look at it another way:

800bht a day = 24,000 a month.

There are thousands & thousands of Thais who would consider themselves very rich indeed if they earned that. Many, many work 6 - 7 days a week for one third of that.

What a thread, lol.

FuninPlural, why does it have to be Bangkok? For the nightlife you won't be able to afford in the first place? The rotting mango has many things to see - true - but is relatively expensive and has plenty of downsides and shady characters.

I really liked the advise of going to Ayutthaya and staying there mostly but maybe that's too quiet for you. As for the money, yes it can be done easily. It's just that many posters have a hard time imagining or doing this. Well, you have come here for a purpose and not for a vacation.

The OP is a young student who's been living on a limited income.

Hardly a young student. He's jobless, living off his girlfriend in Japan.

Feel free to check my other threads as I won't keep defending my self in all of them. Once I'm back in Japan, I will give a decent rport of what my time was like (along with tips, that I actually compiled by reading alot of the back-posts on this website.).

900 bt a day is EASY ! I spend around 1200 bt with rented motorbike and massage every 2nd day (or more)....Cheapest (and safe room) in bgk is around 200 bt....don't worry about your laptop , thailand is pretty safe (if you are not stupid of course)....

400 bt a day could be tough, but 900 is just easy.......

I suppose I should ask at this point: if you have an accident or get sick, you will be purchasing travel insurance to pay for the (potentially considerable) expenses or even a medevac, right? Medical care here isn't free and Japanese national health doesn't work here, assuming you have it in Japan.

Mosquitos are all over the place. Dengue is a real concern, even (perhaps especially) here in Bangkok.

I concur with other posters who say that upcountry is a better choice- and hardly likely to be 'boring' if you are a social person.

There are no 'manga cafes' here, though some of the Internet cafes are open all night- however they are noisy and very public places and not good for attempted shuteye.

I don't understand why you would want to locate Japanese people here, as a two week break is hardly likely to interfere with your studies- and why not pick up a bit of Thai? but I will back up the poster above who suggests KSR is a possibility.

Your trip is certainly possible- the real question is whether it is wise.

Wise or not, I have gotten through 4 night salready and I have 10 days remaining. I have made no enemies, and not been cheated once yet. I don't want to get sick, because I'd be pretty screwed if I go sick next week (for example), this week however,I would pay for the hospital visit. Also, there is info on this site for things such as crotch -rot, food poisoning recovery, etc. I'm telling you, you guys have done a nice job in filling this board with useful info.

I suppose I should ask at this point: if you have an accident or get sick, you will be purchasing travel insurance to pay for the (potentially considerable) expenses or even a medevac, right? Medical care here isn't free and Japanese national health doesn't work here, assuming you have it in Japan.

Mosquitos are all over the place. Dengue is a real concern, even (perhaps especially) here in Bangkok.

I concur with other posters who say that upcountry is a better choice- and hardly likely to be 'boring' if you are a social person.

There are no 'manga cafes' here, though some of the Internet cafes are open all night- however they are noisy and very public places and not good for attempted shuteye.

I don't understand why you would want to locate Japanese people here, as a two week break is hardly likely to interfere with your studies- and why not pick up a bit of Thai? but I will back up the poster above who suggests KSR is a possibility.

Your trip is certainly possible- the real question is whether it is wise.

It amazes me that the OP can obviously afford to live in one of the most expencive cities in the world, but can barely get by when he will visit one of the cheapest countries in the region.

Anyhow, why stay 2 weeks if it is just a visa run?

And, why stay in Bangkok? Surely the OP must know that BKK is the most expencive place in the kingdom.

Finally, I guess the OP knew far ahead when his Japanese visa would expire, and should have started to save some funds for his planned visa trip.

Seems to me it is an unbelievable poorly planned trip.

Why don't you cut your trip short and spend one night in Bangkok? Your money will be much better spent!

Decent hotel

decent food

few pints of Guinness

and a bird??!!

Then go back to japan happy.

just be careful where you park your car, right?

Wise or not, I have gotten through 4 night salready and I have 10 days remaining. I have made no enemies, and not been cheated once yet. I don't want to get sick, because I'd be pretty screwed if I go sick next week (for example), this week however,I would pay for the hospital visit. Also, there is info on this site for things such as crotch -rot, food poisoning recovery, etc. I'm telling you, you guys have done a nice job in filling this board with useful info.

So, how much spend have you been averaging for those 4 nights?

Why don't you cut your trip short and spend one night in Bangkok? Your money will be much better spent!

Decent hotel

decent food

few pints of Guinness

and a bird??!!

Then go back to japan happy.

One night in Bangkok makes a tough man crumble / humble ...........

You can live so cheaply if you needed to in bangkok. i dont get why people say its expensive. 'tight <deleted>'

thai style room, 2,000 baht a month,get your own shower in your room... all good

food venders are cheap as hel_l startng from 10 baht...

to travel get the boat along the river, 12 baht.

beer from 7/11, 25b onwards

i was spending 5,000 baht a month and i was doing so much site seeing and other things along the way.

i didnt need to live cheap but saved so much cash at the end to spend on presents for myself,family and friends

i stayed for 8 months in thailand.. cheaper than back in england. :)

Another 8-month wonder...now safely back in the UK...

Congratulations on a job well-done...getting out of Thailand, that is... :)

is that a dig at me for only staying 8 months in thailand?

if so i choose to leave thailand and head back home to see the family and work. i had plenty of money to stay in thailand

regards

Wise or not. I don't want to get sick, because I'd be pretty screwed if I go sick next week

Not wise at all to travel without medical insurance. Moronic in fact. As Travel2003 has pointed out your trip is ill planned. Having said that I hope you are having a safe and fun time.

Edited by smokie36

You can live so cheaply if you needed to in bangkok. i dont get why people say its expensive. 'tight <deleted>'

thai style room, 2,000 baht a month,get your own shower in your room... all good

food venders are cheap as hel_l startng from 10 baht...

to travel get the boat along the river, 12 baht.

beer from 7/11, 25b onwards

i was spending 5,000 baht a month and i was doing so much site seeing and other things along the way.

i didnt need to live cheap but saved so much cash at the end to spend on presents for myself,family and friends

i stayed for 8 months in thailand.. cheaper than back in england. :)

5000 a month in bangkok? No chance.

Gotta love those 10 baht meals...you mentioned in your earlier posting... :)

But I'm sure they had nothing to do with it...

For me personally, I prefer to take the high-roller approach... I'll splurge on those 40-50 baht delicacies...