Helmet Advice

MattCinderey

Hi Everyone,

I'm heading up to BKK next week to find a good helmet. I have to admit I've never worn one in 3 years of riding here on Samui (stupid) ...

I tried one a long time ago and found it to be incredibly heavy and seemed to reduce my side vision, I didn't feel comfortable wearing it.

I was at a friends house not so long ago and he had a Shoei helmet. I couldn't believe how light it was!

I'm planning on buying an ER-6N in the next few months, so it's time to get kitted up.

Can anyone recommend any shops in Bangkok to get a good helmet? What other brands apart from Shoei should I be looking out for?

I'm hoping 20-30k will buy me a good one.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

Paddock also carry Shoei. I've got a flip-front that is as safe as a fixed full-face helmet (assuming you've dropped the chin bar back down). It's a great advantage if you wear glasses, talking with gas station and 7-11 people, and so on. It's surprisingly quiet. 20+k baht, but worth it, I think. Had it for a couple of years, very happy with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously.. Can you guys wear either Shoei or Arai helmets made for the Asian market? I am a size M with both brands in Sweden, but in Thailand size L is completely crushing my forehead. My advice to all of you with an "oval" head shape is to order it from europe or US and have someone carry it over for you..

Edited by dunder

I tried a Real yesterday, both L and XL and found that they were a very tight fit and that my chin was scaping on the front of the helmet.

I am down in BKK in a couple of weeks and I am looking at a MOTARD style where the chin area goes out to a point and there is plenty of room.

My current helmet is an Ideal size L which is a "snug" fit so perhaps an XL would be better.

got the Arai Tour-cross2. Great helmet, pretty good ventilation if you can put up with the noise, or close some ports and be a little warmer. The peak is annoying though. there should be a different hinge cover when you don't have the peak on, but I can't seem to find a decent store in chiang mai or online. The ARAI shopping site is down right now. Anyone know a place in Chiang mai that would have these covers?

Do an internet seach for Leatherup

I purchsed all of my toys from this site. My wife just arived in BBK yesterday with 3 helmets I purchased from their. She did bring them with her from the United States though.

I do belive they ship international.

Do an internet seach for Leatherup

I purchsed all of my toys from this site. My wife just arived in BBK yesterday with 3 helmets I purchased from their. She did bring them with her from the United States though.

I do belive they ship international.

Good site, thanks for the tip. :)