Sick Pay.

elkangorito

The new director, who appears to be a good guy at the moment, has insisted that all foreign teachers (2 of us) be paid in the same manner as the Thai teachers. This means being paid monthly into a bank account. Previously, we were paid by the hour & paid in cash (which was great). This change occured for me last December & I do not have any problems with it.

About a month ago, I got a nasty dose of the flu & had about 10 days off work. During my time off work, some colleagues did visit me & therefore witnessed that I was genuinely ill.

Upon my return to work, I was asked, "Did you see the doctor? Did you get a doctor's certificate?" My answer was "no" & "no" respectively.

Another question ensued, "Why not?"

There are 2 local doctors...one hates foreigners & the other couldn't diagnose a boil on your bum. Both of them dish out antibiotics like they are lollies & I refuse to take such drugs for the flu (I didn't have any serious secondary infections). Besides these things, I was too ill to walk 2km down the road to see either of them. My Thai colleagues concur with me about these doctors.

When back at the coalface (work), I informed my immediate supervisor (a lovely Thai lady & good friend) that I was prepared to forfeit my pay as I realised that I did not have a sick certificate. Strangely, she told me some hours later that I would be paid for all but 2 days, for which I was very greatful (she pulled some strings). She further informed me that I was not entitled to any sick days for the following 60 days, which was as a result of the change in method of payment. Does anybody know anything about such a situation?

Also, I have been continuously employed at this place for just over 3 years.

Sorry for the waffle.

You seem rather lucky. There is no way we would get paid for 10 days off without a medical certificate. Our sick days are earned at the rate of about 1 day per month. These are paid if there is a sick note and unearned sick days are granted forward, but at the end of the year the total will be 10. Long-term employees are granted more leeway than new teachers and in the case of serious illness or accidents, they have been much more lenient.

The question is have you used all your eligible sick days and won't have any more for 60 days?

She further informed me that I was not entitled to any sick days for the following 60 days, which was as a result of the change in method of payment.

To clarify the above, as soon as my method of pay was changed, I went back to zero. I didn't have any sick days then & am not entitled to them for 60 days from the commencement of the new pay regime.

Sick day policies are totally at the discretion of your school and are not uniform across the country. Know your sick day policies before you decide to get sick. We have to get a doctor's note after just 3 days of sickness or we lose our jobs. (Yup, it could be worse). :D At the other end of the spectrum, one year I wanted to double my vacation time (from 10 to 20 days) and told my boss I was willing to take the salary cut. He said, "Oh, we'll just add your sick days onto the end of your vacation. No problem!" I'd call that quite a bit of leeway on sick-day policies!

Furthermore, the "change in payment method" is a frequent cover-up for some accounting clerk's screw-up on your salary or record-keeping. I know it sounds cynical, but I've heard that excuse a dozen times, including two times during which my own salary was held for up to two months while "they changed payment methods." Finally, when I threatened to quit, the salary was magically paid same day. Rubbish. :)

Edited by toptuan

She further informed me that I was not entitled to any sick days for the following 60 days, which was as a result of the change in method of payment.

To clarify the above, as soon as my method of pay was changed, I went back to zero. I didn't have any sick days then & am not entitled to them for 60 days from the commencement of the new pay regime.

Sorry, but what an employer in another country tell you? In most countries you’ll have to show a med. certificate if you’re more than two days absent. You can’t blame the employer for things you forgot to do……………

^ Please read my OP carefully.

'

If you are really a teacher don't you think your avatar is offensive. Children or peopole with special needs deserve more than to have teachers that think of them like that in their education system.

Edited by harrry

Let's stop with the criticism. That doesn't cut it in the teaching forum and is off-topic. If you have concerns about the avatar, please send a PM to the poster expressing your concerns.

Meanwhile, back on the topic.

Do you have a contract and if so, does it state the number of days of sick leave and when they begin to accrue etc.? Changing the pay system (which our school recently did) shouldn't have an effect on sick leave, especially if it's covered in the contract.

At any rate, if you got paid without a medical certificate, I wouldn't complain.

Stay healthy for the next 60 days.

Maybe I'm missing something in the story, but it doesn't really add up for me. You said:

You also said that the pay change happened in December. Even it was at the end of December, your 60 days is almost up. Furthermore, you DID get paid for 8 sick days that fell in that 60 day period, correct? So what's the problem? Are you worried about getting sick in the next couple weeks? I'm not trying to criticize, but I genuinely don't understand what the concern is.

Thanks Scott.

Yes, I do have a contract but it is in Thai. This is my fault as I did not request the contract to be in English. However, having said this, I will ask my friend if she will translate it for me at her earliest convenience.

I'm certainly not complaining. My hope is to find any truth. I tend to agree with Toptuan as follows;

Furthermore, the "change in payment method" is a frequent cover-up for some accounting clerk's screw-up on your salary or record-keeping. I know it sounds cynical, but I've heard that excuse a dozen times, including two times during which my own salary was held for up to two months while "they changed payment methods." Finally, when I threatened to quit, the salary was magically paid same day. Rubbish.

In any case, I don't think any contract can overrule Thai Labour Law.

In regards to sick Pay entitlements are teachers on a different scale to other non teachers ??

Reason I ask is under the Thai labour law Iam entitled to 30 days per annum, can take 3 consecutive without the need for a docs cert.

Sick Leave

An employee must be granted a minimum of 30 days paid sick leave each year. An employee using sick leave for three consecutive working days can be required to provide a physician's certificate proving the illness.

Edited by Spoonman

In regards to sick Pay entitlements are teachers on a different scale to other non teachers ??

Reason I ask is under the Thai labour law Iam entitled to 30 days per annum, can take 3 consecutive without the need for a docs cert.

Sick Leave

An employee must be granted a minimum of 30 days paid sick leave each year. An employee using sick leave for three consecutive working days can be required to provide a physician's certificate proving the illness.

I did ask this question some time ago & the answer I got was that my school was "different" & exempt from the Law. Somehow, I don't buy this.

After a quick look on google all I find is entitlement of 30 days sick pay per year. Over 3 consecutive sick days must be certified by a doctor.

No mention of entitlement being suspended for 60 days after a change in payment method. Logic would convince me that the "60 day rule" is drivel. After all, they could amend your payment method every 60 days and you would never qualify for paid sick leave!!

Let's stop with the criticism. That doesn't cut it in the teaching forum and is off-topic. If you have concerns about the avatar, please send a PM to the poster expressing your concerns.

Meanwhile, back on the topic.

I fail to see why the teaching forum should be exempt from criticism; indeed, a point which has been missed by most people is the fact that this teacher believes that 'grateful' is spelled 'greatful'!

There (or should I say their) are sites (or should I say cites) that are devoted to spelling and grammar. You are welcome to visit them. Your criticism will be most appreciated. It's not here and further posts which are off topic will earn a posting suspension.

The topic is about sick pay.

OP, you never directly replied to my last post, but I'm still thinking that you did in fact receive sick leave (8 days to be exact) in the 60 days that followed the change in pay method in December. Correct? So maybe it was just a miscommunication/misunderstanding. Your supervisor told you about the sick leave policy, but she didn't enforce it. Maybe she just misspoke?

Sorry Tonititan.

Yes, I did receive payment for 8 days out of the ten that I was sick, for which I was greatful grateful. Further, my supervisor (a good friend) is not the one making or enforcing the rules. She was also a bit miffed that such a thing had happened & was upset that she could not provide an explanation.

I'm reasonably conversant with Thai Labour Law & as such, I was only asking if somebody else had "come across" this same situation.

I do intend to pursue this matter in a quiet fashion & will report back with my findings.

Thanks to all for the feedback so far :)