My First Bike In Thailand I Could Use Some Advice

tvh13

I'm just moved to Phuket Town and I want to get a bike. I will mostly be tooling around Phuket but I will be making monthly trips to Surat Thani.

I am hoping to spend under 50,000 THB. So I am wondering what I can expect to find for this money?

I am partial to the idea of a small motorcycle rather than a a scooter.

It seems like I could get a new scooter or a used bike.

Also I am not very familiar with the capabilities of the scooter but I have seen people driving them from Chiang Mai to Pai without much trouble. Is it reasonable to drive from Phuket to above Surat Thani on one of these little things?

Thanks.

Others on here will provide much more sound advice than me . . . but I'd look for a Yamaha XJR 400, 1995-1999. Loads on mocyc.com, don't know if they're registered or legal . . . it's a mine field. Phuket has the reputation of seizing illegal motorcycles, much more than say . . . Issan.

There is one bike that stands out above all else available...... Honda CBR 150 Smallish sport type bike.

Perfect for around Phuket. Ok for extended trips. I have done non stop (except for gas fill ups) distances of 600km

Economical, has great performance in traffic and open road. Bullet proof and low maintainence.

New at 64000 B and late model low milage second hand around 40000 to 50000. Best re-sale bike on the market.

I am on my second one now, 1st was a second hand bike at 43000B and I did 55000 km before trading in for a new bike on which I have done 21000km now in 7 months. Still the best buy on the Thai market currently.

Older bigger bikes are a minefield of disaster for maintenance, and legality issues. Stay well away.

The popularity of the CBR 150 can be guaged in this forum....check out CBR 150. Its the largest forum thread on TV m/bikes. Great reading if u have a few spare days!

I agree 100% with Visions. CBR 150 is the only bike to have. Looks great, runs circles around anything less, maneuvers in and out of city traffic as good as any "scooter", and is a absolute blast on the highway. Go to the CBR 150 thread and I think there's a guy there who has to leave Thailand and is selling his 1yr old for about 40,000 baht. If you get one, welcome to the club.

Also take a look at the Thai made Boxer by Tiger. A friend of mine just bought a Boxer 250RS and quite likes it.

Tiger Boxer 200R: http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/Th...ai-Mystery-Bike 64k baht

f_tiger_boxer_200_r_motorcycle.jpg

Tiger Boxer 250RS: http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/Th...hai_All-Rounder 72k baht

File0195Large-1.jpg

Edited by ScubaBuddha

50k budget, stay away from big bikes. expensive repairs and questionable legality.

I used to have a Wave 125 for my employees, and one of the foremen used it every second weekend with wife and kid to Surat, 500 km roundtrip

Within your budget, and dont mind clutch/gear

New bike Honda Wave 125i. Not sure about prize for yammy 135 and kwaker

Second hand CBR 150 or Boxer 250.

For a real motorbike in this budget I also think the CBR 150 can't be beat.

Scooters are of course perfectly fine too.

Old big bikes have a number of problems: Spare parts are hard to find when they break down; They break down a lot, in part because previous owners didn't take care of them very well and/or used cheap parts; Spare parts are expensive; Don't have registration - this goes for most in this budget since a fudged rego for an old big bike already costs 50k.

I had a cbr 150 for almost 3 years. It's a solid bike, especially good for in town or short trips. But how strongly I'd recommend it depends on the size of the rider. I'm a relatively small guy (173cm, 68kg) & I found that my legs felt very cramped on long rides. Also, the riding position places a fair amount of weight on the wrists and this too can get uncomfortable after a while. In fact, sore wrists was a major reason I got rid of my cbr. I did take it out for many tours around northern Thailand, and for a while I was riding from Phayao to Chiang Mai & back once a week. The bike is very reliable & performs well but if you can, I recommend renting one & riding it for a day or two before you buy.

Edited by cm das

I owned a thai boxer 250 for over a year...was a great bike, i rode it from chiang mai all over north thailand, as well as far south...i added better tires, bought a small box built in thailand, changed to better more upright handlebars, and rode 2 my hearts content...i moved up to kawasaki er6n, but would sell it just to go back to the 250....

another vote for the cbr 150. You can get an older one for about 35k baht, then take it in to a honda dealer to reshim the valves, change the carb needle and fuelvalve for an additional 2000 baht and the bike ill be just like new.

just make sure it has the stock exhaust and wheels.

What about the Honda Sonic 125? It has the same engine as the CBR150R, with the exception that it is a 125cc and SOHC valves, the road-handling is superior to that of the CBR150R especially in tight traffic... The only downside is less power, but with the many aftermarket products available you have that fix in no-time...

I am surprised that no one has recommended a Honda Phantom (200cc) -- comfortable, with a good riding position for a longer trip; under powered for a bike with its weight, but all-in-all a very good bike. A new one is around B90,000, but you should be able to find a used 2005 in good condition for B50,000+. As someone suggested, you should rent several and see what suits you before you buy. You should include a Phantom in your tests. Hondas are best (ask any mechanic); I would not touch a Suzuki or a Kawasaki.

Also take a look at the Thai made Boxer by Tiger. A friend of mine just bought a Boxer 250RS and quite likes it.

Tiger Boxer 200R: http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/Th...ai-Mystery-Bike 64k baht

f_tiger_boxer_200_r_motorcycle.jpg

Tiger Boxer 250RS: http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/Th...hai_All-Rounder 72k baht

File0195Large-1.jpg

It's great but...

The engine is bolted straight to the frame. So extended trips revving high will make your hands going numb.

Upon ordering it. Ask for the SS package.

The English pr man - khun Pariya - will know what you're talking about. Before and after the SS package you won't believe that you're speaking about the same bike. SS package is about 4500 baht

the SS package consists of:

Uprated bracket for the front caliper

Racing head

racing camshaft

the biggest carburettor the engine can live with

altered ignition.

And i forgot to mention.

The Tiger boxer 250 RS will give you the most bang for the bucks.

I paid 75.000,- baht for it including 1 year road tax and insurance. Think the other 250's are a more expensive

It's great in the cities. Direction stable, fast and does whatever you tell it to do.

As the most prolific poster in the CBR 150 thread I'd be remiss to not give another vote for our beloved bike....

As others have mentioned for what you've described there's really no substitute.

For loafing along at ~100 kph the edge may be for the Boxer, that is if you can stand the vibration. Both the bikes vibrate, but the 250 (or 232 if that makes PB happy) definitely makes its presence known. 25 kph above that and neither bike really outclasses the other; the parasail your body makes on the Boxer definitely makes up for any power advantage it may have. I've rode a couple of Boxers and they're pleasent enough bikes, but not really to my liking...it's hard to put a finger on why, perhaps it's just that they're what could be called a standard and don't really raise my pulse for doing anything exceptionally well (regardless of doing other things poorly).

The Sonic mentioned may be faster in traffic; I've never seen any be able to thread through as quick as my little CBR does; I suppose that if you're at a level that would expose its superiority you probably have a sponsorship deal anyways. I'm biased but a proper bike doesn't have your feet essentially forward of your knees; the CBR puts that crook in the knees that feels just right.

There's a lot of people partial to the Raider (a Sonic-esque bike); I've never seen one in the flesh but there's supposed to be quite an aftermarket of go-fast parts to get your palms sweaty.

the SS package consists of:

Uprated bracket for the front caliper

Racing head

racing camshaft

the biggest carburettor the engine can live with

altered ignition.

Hi there, what was the result of this changes? More power & speed it should be ...but how much of it?

Does the bike now look any different too? Can you post some picture please?

thank you

A couple of people have mentioned the Sonic but no one has mentioned the bike I had for 6 months prior to my CBR, and that I gave to my son, and that's the 135cc Yamaha X-1-R. That was, and still is, a great bike. A few months ago I offered to trade it for a new Air Blade or Neuvo, and he smiled and said "No thanks, Dad, I like this one." Ok, this is not some "kid", but a 26 yr old teacher at Techno Asia who is one of the most responsible and level headed people I know.

Yamaha has "relabeled" the X1R with a new name, but it's the same bike, and a brand new one is under 50k. Very good in city traffic, and will easily do 100 kph on the highways, with a very comfortable ride. I would suggest you go to a Yamaha dealer and try one. To me, that would be my personal option to the CBR.

By the way, for the Neuvo Elegance fans out there, Yamaha is supposed to be coming out with a new one that will sport a 150cc automatic, for less than the new Honda CPX. My wife, who IS a Neuvo devotee, has already said she wants one when they do. That's her "revenge" for me not letting her drive my CBR because as beautiful as she is, she's only 144cm tall, and her sexy little legs just aren't long enough. hahahaha

Thanks for all of the great info and advice! You've all really helped me. I'm finding it tough to get information from the dealers no one I've met so far speaks much English (which is fine I'm in Thailand).

Seems like the CBR holds its value. I need something now rather than wait for the new line of bikes coming from Honda this Spring.

Looks like either a Nova Sonic or the CBR-150.

Going to try to rent a CBR to see ow the ride size/osition works for my body.

Can someone suggest a place near Phuket Town to rent a CBR 150?

Thanks again.

Thanks for all of the great info and advice! You've all really helped me. I'm finding it tough to get information from the dealers no one I've met so far speaks much English (which is fine I'm in Thailand).

Seems like the CBR holds its value. I need something now rather than wait for the new line of bikes coming from Honda this Spring.

Looks like either a Nova Sonic or the CBR-150.

Going to try to rent a CBR to see ow the ride size/osition works for my body.

Can someone suggest a place near Phuket Town to rent a CBR 150?

Thanks again.

Hi guys, I am pushing 70, and was thinking of a trike. I am going to try to post a pic. Does anyone know where you can buy one ?

Thanks

whittler

post-12839-1266732478_thumb.jpg

post-12839-1266732575_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the excellent info everyone. Very helpful.

I've narrowed to three bikes:

I'm partial to Hondas my friends and I have had great experiences with Honda bikes in the states over the years. So my first two choices are

xbr-150

I've seen a couple at the showroom here in Phuket town. It seems as though they will be replaced with a fuel injection model or discontinued all together. Announcement in late March. Not sure if I can or want to wait and I don't imagine that there is any way to know how soon after announcement they will be available. Looks like if I buy one of these it will have a carb on it.

Wave 125i

Seems like a reasonable compromise but no one has them.

Yamaha Spark RX135i

Seems that the Wave 125i is not currently available and the XBR is going to be upgraded or replaced soon but availability is unknown. I want a new bike so that leaves the Spark

I am going to purchase a the Spark 135i this week with the idea of purchasing a XBR once the dust settles.

Again thanks for all of your excellent advice. I have found it tough getting info from the dealers as English speaking is limited and I am just beginning to learn Thai.

Hi guys, I am pushing 70, and was thinking of a trike. I am going to try to post a pic. Does anyone know where you can buy one ?

-- this post scares me :)

If you are only looking to spend X but you really can spend more, check out honda pcx 125. Its actually scary to ride normal motorbikes like waves or clicks after you try one. THe PCX is larger, more stable, and more fuel efficient. Worth loooking into anyways~