Firefox V1.0.4 Released

waldwolf

Thanks Waldwolf. I wonder if they've fixed the problem in v1.0.3 with the menu you get after right-clicking on selected text. That bug has stopped me using 1.0.3.

I'll give v1.0.4 a go and see what happens. :o

I like Firefox but find it so S-L-O-W to load --- even slower than IE. Opera seems to be the fastest although it doesn't have much else going for it.

Hope this new version of Firefox wakes up quickly, jumps out of bed and hits the floor running, unlike its lethargic predecessors.

Nope - 1.0.4 screws up the menu too. It appears to not recognise the context of the text that has been selected, and gives all possible options/actions:

FF1.0.2 ................................................................................

..... FF1.0.4

102a2vm.jpg............................. 104a1rq.jpg

I can't be bothered to remove all extensions to check which one is causing the problem. I'll wait for updates of the extensions to be available, and see if any of them admits to causing the problem. :o

/edit: Back to v1.0.2... no problem with the menu. :D

Edited by RDN

It really is faster. Yippee.

:o

This is the first version of Firefox for Mac OSX I've used.

Loads 100 percent faster than IE and Safari.

Importing bookmarks (favorites) is kind of messed up. I think it takes the first "favorites.html" file it finds and loads it. Haven't figured out yet how to use the "active" one. (It grabbed a backup favorites file from my OS9 system.)

Text writing in web-based sites (like this one) reveals odd characters for spaces which then fade away. Might be the smooth scrolling preference.

Character Encoding looks good. Nice language support, though I haven't ran the full test on chinese or thai input.

Nice font smoothing, especially for serif fonts, and graphic animation display is wonderfully active compared to IE. Safari test not done yet.

The only plus I think IE has over FF or Safari is IE is still the only browser to offer Color Managed viewing on the web. If FF had that I would just toss IE.

Download Manager is smooth and fast, though not a huge speed difference overall. DLs are DLs afterall. :D

All in all looks pretty good. Gets around a lot of buggy viewing issues of PC-concentric sites that IE and Safari scramble.

I'll recommend it. :D

• 2 months later...