Chiang Mai Red Shirt Radio Inciting Followers To Grab Arms

george

UNCONFIRMED:

Chiang Mai red shirt radio inciting followers to grab arms

INN Reporting DAAD Radio Inciting Followers to Grab Arms

INN News Agency is reporting that DAAD radio stations in Chiang Mai province are inciting followers to arm themselves in what they are calling a major war against the government.

Source: http://www.tannetwork.tv/tan/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1025509

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-02-26

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

When discussing the coup, democracy, Abhist and the resentment of the peasants to the PAD on another thread about a year ago I predicted that a reaction like this might happen. Here's a link to the post: Possible Armed Uprising. At that time I was speaking about Bangkok but a similar event in Chiang Mai is every bit as feasable. Let's hope this doesn't happen and it all blows over.

I'd be a bit careful by reporting highly charged but unverified reports from government or government-linked sources, very much including The Nation et al.

Unless it comes straight from a Red source or is otherwise verified I would practice some constraint.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I'd be a bit careful by reporting highly charged but unverified reports from government or government-linked sources, very much including The Nation et al.

Unless it comes straight from a Red source or is otherwise verified I would practice some constraint.

Well there is this little legal twist to it, if they sign it, they're in for treason, wouldn't they?

So would anyone dare to put his signature below this call?

I mean just trying to be a bit realistic.... concerning the magnitude of such a call and the timing, plus the current situation!

Just a wee bit realistic... at times.. isn't necessarily a bad thing, is it?

Edited by Samuian

great respect for the law and very democratic of them of them as ever;

"we want democracy" they say while violently trying to overthrow a democratic government :)

This government isn't remotely close to anything that can be called democratic. The current government was put into power by a military coup de tat not by free and fair election. The entire upper house like the judiciary aren't elected, they are handpicked by the elite. In the two elections since the coup Abhisit's party has both times been soundly defeated and yet he has still somehow managed to remain PM. (for a full explaination refer to this Timesonline article: Abhisit article )

The red shirts (mostly peasants) may be a group of ignorant reactionaries but they have legitimate grounds to be angry. Nearly every political party representing them has been outlawed by the ruling class. The elitists have been treating them like dirt since the beginning of Siamese history and world history is full of stories of uprisings instigated by much less than the Thai poor have endured. I am in no way in favor of armed violence but if history is any indicator, at some time it is inevitable.

reason for edit: to fix link

Edited by Groongthep

"we want democracy" they say while violently trying to overthrow a democratic government :)

This government isn't remotely close to anything that can be called democratic. The current government was put into power by a military coup de tat not by free and fair election. The entire upper house like the judiciary aren't elected, they are handpicked by the elite.

None of the above is very accurate. I'd say it's 'reasonably democratic'. Anyway I don't feel like going into the complete history of events since the coup. I think elections would be a good idea so Abhisit can get his own mandate, but I would also not call the current situation unacceptable.

The red shirts (mostly peasants) may be a group of ignorant reactionaries but they have legitimate grounds to be angry.

Again I would not call them reactionaries. Those left-wing / right-wing qualifications don't really transform well to Thai politics. Either way there's a wide variety of causes, grievances and interests out there, again way to much to get into here.

The red shirts (mostly peasants) may be a group of ignorant reactionaries but they have legitimate grounds to be angry. Nearly every political party representing them has been outlawed by the ruling class. The elitists have been treating them like dirt since the beginning of Siamese history and world history is full of stories of uprisings instigated by much less than the Thai poor have endured. I am in no way in favor of armed violence but if history is any indicator, at some time it is inevitable.

And unfortunately violence has been the only way efforts are even attempted in many countries. Elite classes often don't give up their huge advantages easily, even though it is obviously the right thing to do. Thailand's enormous underclass might eventually have to take matters into their own hands.

No different from India. Gandhi was pretty peaceful. And 'taking matters into their own hands' can have VERY unpredictable outcomes. It's not like the entire underclass or indeed the entire Red movement sees eye to eye on everything. I see plenty idiots out there, along with the very sensible people. Would hate to see the idiots floating to the top.

We're listening at the office. 92.5 FM They're meeting at Wororot Hotel (which I'm assuming is near the market)

The Reds have based themselves on the corner of the road that runs just behind Wat Prasing. It's opposite a hotel (I think it may be the Worowot) that's owned by a Thaksin supporter. They've been there for months.

If they do become violent, we can't rely on the police to restore order as the police are incompetent and many are supporters of Thaksin. More likely the government will introduce martial law the way they did after the last coup and the army will be used to maintain law and order.

And 'taking matters into their own hands' can have VERY unpredictable outcomes.

Very true, but Thailand has no Gandhi and the power doesn't rest with a worn-out colonial regime, as was the case in India.

All power rests with the unelected 'elite' and that's what many people are upset about.

This government isn't remotely close to anything that can be called democratic. The current government was put into power by a military coup de tat not by free and fair election. The entire upper house like the judiciary aren't elected, they are handpicked by the elite. In the two elections since the coup Abhisit's party has both times been soundly defeated and yet he has still somehow managed to remain PM. (for a full explaination refer to this Timesonline article: Abhisit article )

reason for edit: to fix link

Hear! Hear! Abhisits regime may be just about legal due to such political deep thinkers as Newin Chitlob and Banharm Silapa Archa who conveniently switched sides when threatened and promised tasty jobs in government, but it is illegitimate as it only exists because of the judiciaries partial interpretation of the corruption laws particularly in banning the late Khun Samak for appearing on a cookery porgramme.

I share hopes that there will be no violence, but it is difficult to see what the Red shirts can do when the democratic avenue has been effectively closed off to them.

Sure Winnie, but they won the last election and the army and the judiciary and the ruling élite in general didn't respect the outcome of that one. Why should they respect the outcome of the next one? Also the election will (presumably) be fought under the 2007 constitution which had one obejective: Stop Thaksin. Unfortunately for them even their gerrymandered constituencies and proprtional representation system failed to stop Thaksins nominees from winning - all the military constitution succeeded in doing was to hand a disproportionate amount of influence to the likes of Mr Newin and Mr Banharm. As it was illegal to campaign against the 07 constitution it is inherantly flawed.

Ultimately the only way out for this country is to have a free and fair election under the 97 constitution with all sides agreeing to respect the outcome. There must be clear and transparent rules about electoral bribery with mass bribes being clamped down on, but some latitude being given to local canvassers giving out mobile phone cards or the odd bag of rice which have long been a feature of Thai elections.

In the two elections since the coup Abhisit's party has both times been soundly defeated

Groongthep, I remember an election in December 2007, but when was the second one, to which you refer ?

On the thread-topic, I hope that it's not true, as the Red-Shirts aren't supposed to be doing anything major today, and anyway have repeatedly assured the country that they will be peaceful, in their actions.

OK 'Rak Chiang Mai 51' sometimes follow their own line, but what useful result can they hope to achieve, up here in Chiang Mai, except besmirch the name of the movement in-general ?

And 'taking matters into their own hands' can have VERY unpredictable outcomes.

Very true, but Thailand has no Gandhi and the power doesn't rest with a worn-out colonial regime, as was the case in India.

All power rests with the unelected 'elite' and that's what many people are upset about.

Georges Clemenceau, in Thailand judicial decisions are too important to be left to the judiciary.......so if you want the truth click this link but be warned your world as it was might be shattered, the endless brainwashing got to me as well over the years, now I find more reliable sources of information than any thai news ...

very well researched and probably blocked on Thai internet......interesting reading..draw your own conclusions

//link removed as the article contravenes Thaivisa rules on the monarchy and politics - admin//

Edited by Tywais