Thaksin Asset Case: Bt46 Billion Will Be Seized Along With Interests

george

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually feel some sympathy for him however he does himself no favours with statements like this, I think the way forward for him would be to 'stick his hands up' accept the findings of the Court, apologise to the powers that be, maintain a low profile, bide his time then instruct his solicitors to push for a royal pardon.

I agree with you that this would be a sensible man's way forward. But do you think it will happen?

"I want to reaffirm that I and my family earned all of the money with our hard work, brains, and sweat. We have never been corrupt as accused,"
he said on Twitter early Friday.

I actually feel some sympathy for him however he does himself no favours with statements like this, I think the way forward for him would be to 'stick his hands up' accept the findings of the Court, apologise to the powers that be, maintain a low profile, bide his time then instruct his solicitors to push for a royal pardon.

Sorry I accidentally deleted the ID of the PM I was replying to. Here it is. Apologies!

Will be interesting to see what they use the money for. I'd love to see them use it to help fix a lot of the infrastructure around Thailand, improve the schools, and buy out the TukTuk mafia in Phuket and replace it with metered taxis and government run bus service. :)

Something tells me, going forward, certain government offices are going to be getting some really nice new toilets.

Cool! All that is over with now. Is it safe to travel to Bangkok now?

well. There is still the so called million people rally of the reds during mid of march that we got to look out for. I already planned and booked my trip for Bangkok during end of march. With all these coming up, hopefully it doesn't cause me to cancel my trip.

The court has presented its verdict. It has done a good job of showing the evidence, and explaining why it came to that verdict. Agree with the final decision or not, but the evidence of his abuse of power is there. Nowhere in that evidence can I see any reference to how Thaksin got himself elected, who loves him, how he was overthrown, who is PM now, or what the PAD did in the past. They have nothing to do with this case, yet we continue to get the confused, the ignorant and the down right trollish coming on this thread posting their meaningless propaganda. Give it a rest guys, if you can't make a comment here on the court's decision then it's best not to comment at all.

the safest win win situation for Thailand is a verdict that allows the state to take a substantial amount back - the greater part. while leaving Thaksin something to represent the fortune he had before becoming prime minister. Take away half a dogs bones and boot it up the backside and it will slip away - take away all its bones and trap it in a corned and you have an unecessary confrontation

Please 2010, do a bit more research before posting.

I really hope that the government finds a way to distribute these funds back to the people they were taken from. It would go a long way to help the cause of staying in power :)

The people that the money was taken from were the competitors of AIS -- Dtac and True Corp. Nobody else. Thaksin used his power in office to ensure that his company AIS paid lower fees (and sometimes no fees) than AIS competitors. Dtac and True are the only beneficiaries of this.

Please note that Thaksin wasn't stealing money from state coffers. He was using his position as the man in charge of the country to bolster his business empire and his and his family's wealth -- at the expense of AIS's competitors.

Talking with my wife about Thaksin's little speech after the verdict, she commented that he said sorry to his family, when is he going to say sorry to the Thai people? To me, that sums him up very well. Only concerned about him and his own, couldn't give a dam_n about the taxpayers he stole from. And we still get people on here claiming that he loves the poor.

^the innocent do not say sorry when they did not do no wrong! :)

Oh, the evidence shows that he did a whole lot of wrong. The innocent do not flee to Dubai when they do no wrong.

I do believe you're in contempt of court, again, as they found him guilty. It is a wonder just how many times you get away with it, despite the repeated warnings given here.

Ok Thaksin made his money from mobile phones and the people.

But this ruling affects all mobile phone users AIS DTAC True all there shares will take a kicking on Tuesday.

Fine maybe mr mobile made money for himself it's 50/50 if he wanted to screw everyone surely he would have put the charges up not down. One thing I have learnt in life if your business is successful you must be screwing everyone if you bring the prices down you are still screwing everyone even though everyone is better off.

Another ? This was only the tip of the iceberg. What about the Air Asia dealings? What about taking back the money from the land deal?

He's still got enough money to buy/ rent all of Isaan, but nobody thai can be seen to be wrong. Might lose face.

It's gonna get a lot worse. He's still left with enuf to buy a country then loot it forever.

So people on TV generally seem to be saying that Thaksin used his state office inappropriately in some cases to favor his businesses. Was this his only political contribution? Is there a way to determine what his policies and actions were when his businesses were not involved?

It just seems like odd that "peasants" support him, which implies that he in some way helped make their lives better. Did he? Were his policies good overall and his judgment skewed when it came to questions that involved his personal business?

Shouldn't it be pretty simple to learn what he did as a prime minister that was strictly within his rights and what he did as a businessman that held the prime minister-ship to favor his business?

Obviously, there will be dissenting opinion about the effectiveness of things he did as prime minister. But those things should be separated from actions he took as a state official that were designed to benefit his family and businesses.

From what I've read about his policies as prime minister, it looks like a mixed bag, but mostly good or at least well intentioned.

If he used his office in any way to benefit himself, his family, or business, he was rightly deposed (all sides should at least agree this), but it would seem worthwhile to keep in mind what he did as prime minister that was his attempt to help Thais and Thailand.

I just wish that people everywhere, including public officials, would be honest with themselves and others about their intentions, actions, and goals.

So much strife, pain, and death would be avoided if we, as individuals, could just be good and honest. Should be especially easy to do in a Buddhist country, but then . . .

Ggggrrrrr

Signed,

Simpleton

the money won't get used in any special way, it will be part of the govt budget, no temple rites, or certain groups preferred, or whatsoever. Get over it.

The rule on Thaksin was due a long time before the coup, nothing to do with PAD, the coup and injustice. It all would have happened in any way.

Thaksin was just the convenient scapegoat for the yellows to stir up troubles, a coup and to change inheritance and to take advantage of whatsoever opportunities may arise out of it. This is a practice that was/is handled for many decades and always for the disadvantage of rural folks. There were/are enough red shirts who are not convenient with Thaksin at the helm.

So wait and see what will happen with the yellows coming up next. My guess is, that they will face harsh penalties for once and forever. They will definitely try to create unrest again, so stay alerted.

Compliments to the members of the court, they did a great job!

I find that a good and for both parties fair decision.

The Intrest will maybe do something usefull to all Thais, for example renovate the railway system and not painting just the wagons.

Hope the money will not land in some dark corners or deep pockets of people who didnt deserve it.

Another ? This was only the tip of the iceberg. What about the Air Asia dealings? What about taking back the money from the land deal?

He's still got enough money to buy/ rent all of Isaan, but nobody thai can be seen to be wrong. Might lose face.

It's gonna get a lot worse. He's still left with enuf to buy a country then loot it forever.

He's not Marcos actually I reckon his country would be successful

^Khun T think he's innocent just stating the facts! :)

Actually, I suspect that he knows full well that he is guilty as sin.

Which makes it a matter of opinion, not a fact. There are only a few who know for sure and I am certain that they are not posting on here right now.

Talking with my wife about Thaksin's little speech after the verdict, she commented that he said sorry to his family, when is he going to say sorry to the Thai people? To me, that sums him up very well. Only concerned about him and his own, couldn't give a dam_n about the taxpayers he stole from. And we still get people on here claiming that he loves the poor.

They are poor people taking a rich man's money to say that the rich man cares about poor people.

I think the interests should be paid by the banks.

Aren't they the ones that got them? :)

The problem is we don't have the court decision in English, not even completely in Thai yet I think. The courts reasoning might be that the 46 billion belonged to the state and were illegally taken. Thus the state missed out on the interest over the 46 billion, so Thaksin has to pay that as well. Also Thaksin himself received interest on his ill gotten gains, it would not be fair to let him keep that.

Surely if it's half his fortune that interest must be paid.. it will cancel out the interest on the other half.. so he will still have half the fortune he did have.. and lets face it..46 billion baht is a huge amount to anyone., the interest is just a formality. He's still a very rich man.

totster :D

If you're talking facts, check GDP growth under Thaksin. Fact, it was less than all it's Asian competitors. Might have been better if the country was the main consideration.

That hurt the poor; jobs they might have sone going to Malaysia, Vietnam etc. But in the meantime"I've got 2m dollars, yipee".

Watch his speeches then check germany in the 30s. He did a lot for his country too, saying he cared about the people.

Edited by Soi Sauce

I truly do not understand the headline " Guilty !" --- this was not a criminal trial ! Is this headline from the Nation? It is a misleading and inflammatory headline.

Now we must read the verdicts to understand the reasoning !

LannaRed,in your quote,you do not understand "GUILTY",No matter what kind of trial you deem it to be,it was a COURT OF LAW and so HE was charged for an act that was commited during his time in office and found " GUILTY " of that act, I hope this is a simple enough explanation for you to understand my friend.

The Law is The Law and the Courts are ALL Courts of the people of this great THAILAND. :D:D:)

Thank you for your kind lesson in jurisprudence -- however this case was an adversarial action between the government and the defendants, which include Mr. Thaksin and others -- it is a case which calls for a quantified verdict, which does not include guilt or innocence --- it was not a criminal prosecution, which calls for a decision of guilt or innocence -- if he is guilty, then by logical extension, he is 60.5 % guilty ( Bt46 Billion /Bt76 Billion) -- is this simple enough for you, my friend?

Yes, the Law is the Law -- and the Courts are charged with the responsibility to rule according to the Law.

...and Thailand will move forward and become great, with justice for all the people, both in court and outside the Court.

Forty six billion baht is a lot of money to anyone, Thai or American, so it’s not surprising Thaksin is fighting tooth and nail over it.

But putting it in context it amounts to just 5% of his estimated net worth. Prior to assuming the premiership, Thaksin and family declared net worth of 500 billion baht according to newspaper articles, by 2006 that might have been worth 700 billion (unless the newspaper misprinted and meant 50 billion).

Thaksin is a gambler, where a billion baht spent on a business venture or stock speculation or election campaign might go either way. The business of politics is the same, and he must have known the risks involved in his dishonest policy making, and now he’s lost some. To an ordinary Thai, 5% of your net worth is akin to losing a 500,000 baht vehicle that wasn’t properly insured, it hurts but you accept it and move on. Considering the man ran the risk of avoiding a 20% tax bill on the Shin sale, I can only assume it is sheer greed that keeps him snarled up in this national heartache.