So You Have Lived Here A While, Is Thailand Still The Land Of Smiles ?

ongoing

Ok so people come here for 2 or 3 weeks on holiday some come for longer. They stay in nice hotels and eat at the nice resturants. They say the people in Thailand are so friendly and always smiling. Yes they are right becuase this is what they see from there 2 or 3 weeks here. The thai people they meet in the hotels and resturants, lets not forget are paid to smile and be friendly. Like any other country in the world where people work in these jobs.

What i dont get is people who have lived here a couple of years keep calling it the land of smiles. I have been here a good while myself and i know what the real thailand is like. People here in general are no more friendly ( i think they are less friendly towards farangs ) than in most other countrys i have been. So why do people who have lived here a long time just fail to see what the real thailand is like. For us farangs who can speak thai and understand we no deep down that the ' land of smiles ' is just a myth. Farangs are never far away from racism of some sort or being ripped off . So how is this the land of smiles ? I like to think it is the land of fake smiles. Is it people who have lived here a long time no deep down that thailand is not what they thought it would be, but they just try to block it out and convince themselfs that thai people are really friendly, when they no its not ture. One thing i will say is that thailand is less violent than most western countrys. But as for being a friendly place its just a myth, that some farang's wont give up on no matter how many times racism is directed at them or how many times they get ripped off and charged double the price thais get charged .

So is this really the land of smiles ???

I think you are a stage that I have been through - happened to me after about 5 years living here. It had a lot to do with learning the language and still hanging out a bit in touristy areas, hearing all the negative stuff. I had a choice - to accept the negatives of Thailand and enjoy the positives or go insane trying to change Thai culture and having a shitty attitude. Acceptance was the key, which changed my attitude and made me smile more at the Thais which they nearly always reciprocate. You will change and Thais will see this change in your attitude/body language and you'll change your mind about the Thai people. It really is the land of smiles - you'll get to know what all the different smiles mean and find you are smiling all the time whther it be a contented smile or a pissed off smile.

My approach is slightly different, because I *ALSO* still very much enjoy the tourist areas, including Pattaya. Also in tourist areas, I don't experience any negativity aimed at me. I do hear some observations on the foreign tourists and residents in Pattaya and you know what: I can't help but agree with many of those assessments. And in the ensuing discussion I wouldn't only agree, but be able to weigh in with some more observations that likely wouldn't all be positive ones.

Because someone as an opinion of a particular demographic, (often a correct opinion I might add that's vented on this forum by foreigners just the same) shouldn't mean that you should apply it to yourself when you clearly don't fit that demographic. (Or, perhaps to an extent it DOES apply to me, in which cases I'd be happy to acknowledge it).

I find those discussions very interesting. That's why I still find tourist areas so interesting and entertaining. No way would I want to live in such an environment all the time, I know I am still maintaining a very positive outlook also in tourist areas. I have a harder time in Bangkok (tourist area or not) but I know that's mostly me.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have live here in Thailand for almost 10 years and know that The Thai people are, friendly and very accepting of anyone that dose not believe they are better than Thais.

The OP hit the nail on the head, when he mentioned the treatment aimed at falangs, That is the only difference, Here you are not a member of the dominate society as you are in your home countries, here your confrontational and demanding ways are great ways to get a negative response. Here you have to earn respect and live by the laws of the land, not the laws you feel you are entitled to.

I on the occasion that falangs come to the village, they always end up at my home, as I guess local Thais feel I need Falang interaction. I have seen a very talkative, person become very silent and distance once Thais join our gathering.

Falang ways are not acceptable ways to many Thais ,what worked for you back home dose not work here, whether you have been here 2 weeks or 20 years.

You may chose to live in your falang world and never experience the Thai world even while living in a rural village !

In the end the results are more one of your behavior towards the Thais than their behavior towards you and many comments also attach scams to Thailand as if they do not experience them in the West.

Cheers: :)

My business is right in the middle of the tourist area and when I travel in Thailand I usually stay in those areas. However, my staff are normal, wholesome Thais and the ones that I choose to mix with are as well. The parasites that prey on tourists mostly ignore me, so I still love the place after 20 years.

spacer.gifBWBW0598.jpgPlenty of Thais give me lovely smiles all of the time and not for any kind of return!

Frankly, given the type of farang who comes to thailand (many low life, cheap, angry, skin headed, agressive, drunks, uneducated, thai hating) i am amazed that Thai's are as friendly as they are towards us farang.

Go to a typical farang bar in Singapore (incl orchard towers) or hong Kong on a friday night and then compare the type of farang there with those in a typical farang bar in bangkok- marvel at the difference...

Really....... :)

Well to be fair..your typical farang in Hk or Singapore will likely be on a nice expat package and hot girls showing plenty of interest and they couldnt care less about prices or dual pricing or even about being scammed over a few quid on a bar bill etc.Of course these guys are going to be pretty content and show no resentment to the local people.. hence less tension both ways...

Are these the sames guys with their big collars, Jamie Oliver hair cuts that hang out in Orchard Tower or equiv in HK cause the local Chinese gals think they can't meet their five C's criteria?

i remember the 5 c's car cash credit card career condo right?? I lived there 7 years. remember the saying SPG's cheers mark

Bangkok and Pattaya are not. But Thailand still is. :)

As long as one can distinguish between the foreigner/tourist enclaves and genuine Thailand, one can still find broad, friendly, no-strings-attached smiles to brighten every day. I do. :D

Yes It is.

Agree 100%

I'd agree with that too.

In the main I find the smiles are more genuine when away from those areas 'filled with Farang' and the general populace tend to be friendlier and more helpful.

What amazes me is the OP's various anti-Thai threads that are currently running since he joined TV to announce he was leaving Thailand after a significant number of years. Personally if I were leaving I wouldn't be spending the time complainning and whingeing on about where I am leaving and instead would be researching where I was going next!

I concur with the folks that say the premise of the original post and the posts of the other malcontents in the thread appear to be limited to those that tend to be stuck in tourist zones. Face it all tourist towns are built around the premise of separating marks from their money.

The type of foreigner who claims that all Thais hate or despise or look down on us, is usually the type who hasn't gotten away from the tourist scene or the types who are on the tourist scene.

My thoughts exactly. Some of these people can actually remain in 'tourist Thailand' for years without actually realising it :):D

..... more than a kernel of truth in that statement: given how some ex-pats (and other ethnic group foreigners) behave when they come out here on holiday (in ways they don't back home - hence the regular Thai break), can we blame those locals that do take issue with foreigners?

If anything, the locals are pretty tolerent towards visitors.

Agreed.

Who really cares?

It's just another country.

What's with all this love, hate, devotion, revulsion, adoration, idolisation, deference, abhorence . . . paranoia?

Really, it's just another country.

Or then again some people are living in cloud cuckoo land. If you honestly believe that most Thais don't see farangs as inferior (other than as cash cows) then good for you. May you live in that dream forever.

Yes, once they get to know you they may accept you - but generally, they see us as a source of income and not someone who is equal to them.

^ :)

Come on, get back to Walking Street. :D

Been here 15 years, long enough to learn pretty fluent Thai, and work in an office with 80 or so Thais. I also enjoy spending time more at the lower end of society. There isn't a single issue in the world where I would refer to all Thais as 'they' or 'them' and then make some sort of statement that applies to all of them. They're all individuals, no different from you and me.

No doubt thats where you feel most comfortable WTK. :D Did you ever manage to have that 'trailer' imported? :D

??? What a puzzling response. And I have no idea what you mean with a trailer. You must have me confused with someone else.

So on that assumption, I'll let the earlier remark on where I am most comfortable slide as it's aimed at someone you may know.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

??? What a puzzling response. And I have no idea what you mean with a trailer. You must have me confused with someone else.

So on that assumption, I'll let the earlier remark on where I am most comfortable slide as it's aimed at someone you may know.

"trailer" --- US for what the UK refers to as a Caravan (I think). The "lower end" of society in those 2 countries.

The thai people they meet in the hotels and resturants ... are paid to smile

...That comment is right on target.

"Carmine" explained above, that it happens when a financial transaction is taking place.

I would expand that to say, smiles happens when value is moving to them -- financial, food, gifts, learning a few English words, a new house, etc.

Anything to their benefit, they will smile.

...And, we should keep in mind, they are trained to smile and they practice how to do it.

A recent girl friend worked in a 5-star hotel where the training program included how to greet customers.

She demonstrated for me what she learned in the training.

It was like a bright light suddenly turning on: the smile, the body language, the soft and sexy voice, full attention focused on the customer.

Then, when she finished demonstrating what she'd learned that day, the light switched off.

The performance suddenly stopped.

The face went blank, the body language slumped, and attention evaporated.

The change was dramatic and stunning.

The smiles are a well-practiced "act".

...Another way to observe this is to watch Thais with other Thais when no farangs are around.

Recently I found myself at Morchit bus station with a few hours to wait.

I found a quiet place almost hidden behind a pillar, and just settled in.

It was the perfect location to watch Thais with each other, when the others are strangers, not friends or family.

There are no smiles.

The faces are universally bland; no expression.

They show none of the excitement or focus we farangs experience in hotels, restaurants, shops.

With each other, Thais are in neutral.

What i dont get is people who have lived here a couple of years keep calling it the land of smiles. ... So why do people who have lived here a long time just fail to see what the real thailand is like.

...Many -- perhaps most -- long-stay farangs here are either (1) not "awake" or (2) drunk most of the time.

Most don't understand any of the language beyond a few words for food and beer.

They simply aren't aware of what's really happening around them.

But they do get the smiles ... because ... they have money to spend.

...On the other hand, something different happens often to me and probably to you:

Whenever I go into a shop or restaurant where I've never been before, the smiles flick on, the body language focuses on me -- just like they are trained to do.

If I speak English, the performance continues.

But if I speak Thai -- and my Thai is fairly good -- the smiles turn off, the body language turns away, the performance comes to a screeching halt.

They immediately realize they have little to gain from a farang who "knows too much".

...So, it this the Land of Smiles or not?

After 5+ years, I still enjoy the performance, but I understand it's purpose.

But, what is more important, I find the fundamental gentleness and kindness of most Thai people to be far more desirable than the sullen, self-interest which now pervades our Western home countries.

I have no complaints.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Some good points.

I would add though that I join in the game with the fake smiles now if I am speaking in Thai. When in Rome.......

My partner says I should not be two faced and smile when I don't mean it but I explain it is only a Thai smile. She appreciates the difference but still thinks I should behave more like a farang.

I just won't let the bastards grind me down. And I'm certainly not dropping any civilised standards to accommodate them. And I have no problems living in Thailand with that mind set. I actually like the place and most of its ordinary ( down to earth) people. But yes I play games with the so-called hi-sos and those who feel they are something special in the hierarchy.

caf

...Another way to observe this is to watch Thais with other Thais when no farangs are around. Recently I found myself at Morchit bus station with a few hours to wait. I found a quiet place almost hidden behind a pillar, and just settled in. It was the perfect location to watch Thais with each other, when the others are strangers, not friends or family. There are no smiles. The faces are universally bland; no expression.

Find me a big-city bus station any where in the world where people smile, and I'll find you a sign on the edge of town that reads "Entering Heaven (Utopia, Nervana, etc.)"

Find me a bus station in just about any small-to-medium sized town in Thailand, and your face muscles will fatigue trying to return all the smiles. Not only returning smiles, but watching Thais smile at each other.

Don't judge Thailand by Morchit.

Equivalent: "No one smiled at Grand Central Station in Manhattan. Therefore, all Americans are bland, expressionless and cold."

How ridiculous. :)

Oneman only gave one example. I could give others.

Your reply is itself absurd by your definition. You gave only one example too !!!.

caf

Hotel and other folk who interact with tourists anywhere in the world are paid to smile – nothing about that which is unique to Thailand. The point remains: where ever you go in the world, going to where ever on holiday is never the same as going to where ever to live and work , or retire, and in that respect, like any where else in the world, Thailand is little different.

The land of smiles is a marketing gimmick as is Thai Airways' “smooth as silk” statement.

Rasicm and getting ripped off?

Thai's are constantly ripping each other off, as much if not more so than they rip foreigners off. As for rasicm – it's like getting ripped off – if the comparison is with “friendlyness”, yes I can see the contrast, but the reality is that a large factor in these ideas/attitudes that folk have of Thai's and Thailand are really about poor communication.

Lets take the Thai language out of the equation, and however impractical it probably is, lets imagine that Thai's spoke English. Now I think many of the perceptions folk have would vanish – only because we can understand the other person.

As I have said many times before on the forum: Thai's have the same understanding of concepts like morality & immorality, honest and dishonesty, loyalty and disloyalty, as we have – they are human, just like us, and as a cultural/ethnic/racial group (or however one wishes to catorgirise them), Thai's are no more or less likely to be honest/dishonest, loyal/disloyal, intelligent/unitelligent, moral/immoral …... etc etc ….... than any other racial/ethnic or cultural group in the world.

I was with you until your last paargraph.

Thais have a different code of morality and honesty and trust than that applying generally in western cultures. Their education affects their moral and loyalty attitudes. Their business ethics are certainly different.

No we are not all the same. With respect that is naive

( And note I am saying different not better)

caf

Smiles to complete strangers are reciprocated much more often here, than they in the West, I like that.

As for the Ps&Qs or the lack of them I usually put that down to their command of English but definitely agree on the sentiment regarding the non existent apologies. It seems that many have a hard time saying sorry (but I have seen all of that back home too, and worse).

I am thinking I should write a book entitled "Thais and the art of conflict avoidance". There are certainly different values in place here and the "smile" means many things when used amongst Thais. Generally speaking apologies in the form of words which are standard in the west are replaced with a smile and a concerted effort to do something different/meaningful for the person that was slighted.

I know it is hard for some people to understand this but forcing an admission of having done wrong is a significant conflict (socially) in Thailand, and is typically avoided if both people know where the fault indeed rests. The person that caused the breach will typically not be pushed into an admission but instead will simply smile and make social correction later.

Very often foreigners that don't understand this will push so hard that all they do is create hard feelings for life. I think much of the attitudes of Thais in touristed areas is correlated to these misunderstandings. I am not saying the Thai way is "right". I am saying the Thai way is the Thai way. Many of us that have been here for a long time have seen Thais "explode" and vent years of pent-up social stress very inappropriately (at other Thais). I certainly do think that things are changing here as "modern stress" catches up with what was largely until 50 years ago a very agrarian society.

You are right jd, a well thought out post. I concur.

To be perfectly frank most of the westerners I've run in to who say Thais don't like us are usually quite deserving of that dislike.

Blame the Farang devils :D . I cant belive that so many people on here will say anything apart from admit that in general Thai's treat Farangs alot worse than they treat other Thais.

These people are like children trying to impress the most popular Kid in school. But this way they are trying to impress Thai's by showing how much they dislike other Farangs :) .

What is happening ??

To be perfectly frank most of the westerners I've run in to who say Thais don't like us are usually quite deserving of that dislike.

Blame the Farang devils :D . I cant belive that so many people on here will say anything apart from admit that in general Thai's treat Farangs alot worse than they treat other Thais.

These people are like children trying to impress the most popular Kid in school. But this way they are trying to impress Thai's by showing how much they dislike other Farangs :) .

What is happening ??

OP why dont you poll it. Most people here are farangs so the poll numbers shud be interesting

What is happening ??

Whilst i have disagreed with you on a few occasions this post is (sadly) completely correct. :D

Foreigners who can speak the language sufficiently to have an adult conversation with Thais, quickly learn that they despise us, most of us...

I always find it interesting how many posters who claim to speak Thai get all kinds of inside information about the "real" Thailand that absolutely no one else is privy to. I have been here a long time and speak to Thais, in Thai, on a fairly regular basis - as well as in English - and none of them have shared their absolute distain for farangs with me. In fact they have been remarkably consistant and sensible about separating the good apples from the bad. That is one of the things that I respect about them.

In general, they do tend to want to agree with people's opinions that they are talking with. Could it be that one just has to ask if they "hate us all" in exactly the right way? :)

Oneman wrote two perseptive posts just before yours, on which I happen to agree. But we are all entitled to our opinions. You obviously disagree - fine.

But posting "I always find it interesting how many posters who claim to speak Thai get all kinds of inside information about the "real" Thailand that absolutely no one else is privy to." is an unnecessary flame. He does not claim to speak Thai, he does speak Thai. He did not talk of inside information or being absolutely the only one privy to.

He expressed an opinion. I expressed mine. You expresed yours ( though in a different style)

I write this as he can not read your post as he has blocked you.

caf

Smiles to complete strangers are reciprocated much more often here, than they in the West, I like that.

As for the Ps&Qs or the lack of them I usually put that down to their command of English but definitely agree on the sentiment regarding the non existent apologies. It seems that many have a hard time saying sorry (but I have seen all of that back home too, and worse).

I am thinking I should write a book entitled "Thais and the art of conflict avoidance". There are certainly different values in place here and the "smile" means many things when used amongst Thais. Generally speaking apologies in the form of words which are standard in the west are replaced with a smile and a concerted effort to do something different/meaningful for the person that was slighted.

I know it is hard for some people to understand this but forcing an admission of having done wrong is a significant conflict (socially) in Thailand, and is typically avoided if both people know where the fault indeed rests. The person that caused the breach will typically not be pushed into an admission but instead will simply smile and make social correction later.

Very often foreigners that don't understand this will push so hard that all they do is create hard feelings for life. I think much of the attitudes of Thais in touristed areas is correlated to these misunderstandings. I am not saying the Thai way is "right". I am saying the Thai way is the Thai way. Many of us that have been here for a long time have seen Thais "explode" and vent years of pent-up social stress very inappropriately (at other Thais). I certainly do think that things are changing here as "modern stress" catches up with what was largely until 50 years ago a very agrarian society.

You are right jd, a well thought out post. I concur.

Thanks,

I actually spent some time speaking with one of my co-workers AFTER I wrote that post. She noted that young people are actually not being instructed in things that are "more western" from a young age. There are books for little kids now about saying "hello" (Sawatdee) "thank you" (Khop khun) and "I am sorry" (Khor thot).

This addition to Thai culture will be obviously more restricted to families that can afford books for babies and small children, but should work its way more fully into the culture as time goes by.

"trailer" --- US for what the UK refers to as a Caravan (I think). The "lower end" of society in those 2 countries.

Oh.. I see. I don't think I feel the need to point out to him where I live, how I live, etc. (I love spending time in the more lower class areas on occasion, but am happy to have the choice. The reason I enjoy this is because I love the whole of Thailand, the lot of it at all levels. (I also don't find much difference in the overall perception of foreigners between the various levels of society, at least none that would universally apply. So any further discussion would likely remain off topic. )

And that, I think, is the most accurate and concise response I've seen in this topic to date!

QUOTE (Oneman @ 2010-03-04 15:13:54) *

Foreigners who can speak the language sufficiently to have an adult conversation with Thais, quickly learn that they despise us, most of us...

Oh - what absolute rubbish............

I usually agree with your posts, maizefarmer; but I disagree here.

As with any language you can usually understand the nuances of their culture only by speaking the language. Some sociologists may be able to gain something from body language etc, but for me unless you speak Thai your are limited in a full understanding.

I had a conversation a few months back with a retired paratrooper, his retired boss ( a general), his school teacher wife, and the para's son. The son had good English but could not contribute to the conversation much because of the rules of heirarchy and family, but by talking in Thai it became a revealing conversation on Thai ways. The subject is not important to the thread.

On his own with me, the son confirmed the discussion was spot on.

caf

Foreigners who can speak the language sufficiently to have an adult conversation with Thais, quickly learn that they despise us ...

They tell me that most Thais find farangs disgusting.

They wish foreigners weren't here.

The best case I have ever heard for NOT learning Thai!

That sort of ostrich approach is one of the reasons many Thais dislike farang. No attempt to understand language or culture. Thailand is not the xxth state of yankieland.

caf

Ok so people come here for 2 or 3 weeks on holiday some come for longer. They stay in nice hotels and eat at the nice resturants. They say the people in Thailand are so friendly and always smiling. Yes they are right becuase this is what they see from there 2 or 3 weeks here. The thai people they meet in the hotels and resturants, lets not forget are paid to smile and be friendly. Like any other country in the world where people work in these jobs.

What i dont get is people who have lived here a couple of years keep calling it the land of smiles. I have been here a good while myself and i know what the real thailand is like. People here in general are no more friendly ( i think they are less friendly towards farangs ) than in most other countrys i have been. So why do people who have lived here a long time just fail to see what the real thailand is like. For us farangs who can speak thai and understand we no deep down that the ' land of smiles ' is just a myth. Farangs are never far away from racism of some sort or being ripped off . So how is this the land of smiles ? I like to think it is the land of fake smiles. Is it people who have lived here a long time no deep down that thailand is not what they thought it would be, but they just try to block it out and convince themselfs that thai people are really friendly, when they no its not ture. One thing i will say is that thailand is less violent than most western countrys. But as for being a friendly place its just a myth, that some farang's wont give up on no matter how many times racism is directed at them or how many times they get ripped off and charged double the price thais get charged .

So is this really the land of smiles ???

I think you are a stage that I have been through - happened to me after about 5 years living here. It had a lot to do with learning the language and still hanging out a bit in touristy areas, hearing all the negative stuff. I had a choice - to accept the negatives of Thailand and enjoy the positives or go insane trying to change Thai culture and having a shitty attitude. Acceptance was the key, which changed my attitude and made me smile more at the Thais which they nearly always reciprocate. You will change and Thais will see this change in your attitude/body language and you'll change your mind about the Thai people. It really is the land of smiles - you'll get to know what all the different smiles mean and find you are smiling all the time whther it be a contented smile or a pissed off smile.

Some good points

caf

:):D:D

I have to agree, somewhat.

But, I tend not to care what others think. I just walk around with rose coloured glasses and absorb the beauty of Thailand while ignoring the undercurrent of uglyness. I don't bother with what I can't change. I frankly couldn't care less how many thais dislike me, just so long as there are some that DO like like me. It's not hard to discern the difference between a fake smile and a real one... IF YOU ACTUALLY PAY ATTENTION.

QUOTE (Oneman @ 2010-03-04 15:13:54) *

Oh - what absolute rubbish............

I usually agree with your posts, maizefarmer; but I disagree here.

As with any language you can usually understand the nuances of their culture only by speaking the language.

I would assume that the rubbish part referred to learning that 'Thais despise us', not the merits of learning the language! That almost goes without saying; to me anyway.

I don't really understand what a lot of the posters would see as a satifactory state of affairs. The ones that feel hated by the Thais, do you want them to dance around you, hanging on your every word like perfoming dogs?

I myself do speak Thai, and I meet a broad spectrum of Thai people, most will have an opinion on me, and ferangs in general, before I even open my mouth, but I find most will carry out what ever transaction ect., with a reasonably polite attitude, that I would get in most places in the world. Some will chat and have a bit of banter, others won't. Just like anywhere else. I don't expect eveybody to want to practice English or put on a special performance for me.

Sure, there's Thai people here I don't like, some I despise, but others that I see as friends as well.

On the subject of overcharging, a issue that was brung up in the original post, if it bothers you, shop elsewhere. There's loads of Tescos, Carre fours, Tops ect. all over the place these days where everyone pays the same.

I think alot of this problem stems from the fact that the majority of us came here at first on holiday, to a tourist area, and can't see why it has'nt stayed like that in our now everyday life. All this talk of 'Real Thailand', ever considered when you were on holiday here it was the 'Unreal Thailand' you were in love with? Every relationship has a honeymoon period. I think a lot of ferangs have unrealistic expectations of this country in general.

And while this thread as per usual on TV , takes a turn towards Thai bashing, I'd like to point out there is a lot of ferangs here I would'nt give the time of day to, and I would'nt expect any one else to either regardless of there race.