Thai Court Should Have Seized All Thaksin Wealth: Finance Minister

webfact

I like it. Let me try: "I think the courts decision was fair, however if it were me then I wouldn't have grabbed personal assets under laws that came about during the junta government and after shredding the last legitimate constitution and then applied them retroactively."

So the laws making it illegal to steal money from the Thai people were only made by the "junta" government? Seems they did at least one good thing then. What a load of tripe. Thaksin was found guilty on laws that exist in every democratic country. Conflict of interest, stealing from the state coffers, manipulating laws to make a profit. It really is unbelievable that his supporters come on here trying to make out he did nothing wrong, or the charges were trumped up. The man stole 150 billion baht from the same Thai people that you claim to support. The evidence is on public record. He did it. You're following a crook.

No, as I recall it was the new "law" making it illegal for Thaksin to be unusually rich that was invented by the military junta appointed judiciary.

Military junta coup-issued law.

Nodded through by the military junta appointed judiciary.

not a hair of democracy in any of that.All illegitimate.

All the so called big shots have done is to abuse Thaksins human rights. he is advertising it.

Don't worry by the time they are finished with all other charges, nothing will be left for Mr. T. especially since e still don't get it

I doubt anyone here understands Taxin finally sold his Shin Corp. parts to Temasek in order to annihilate the "conflict of interest" issue.

Maybe he should have listened earlier to his brain or lawyers, he would not have gotten into this mess.

What DO these 76 billion baht represent???? The full sales of his parts?

He should be allowed to keep whatever he had in Shin Corp before he became PM, he made Shin Corp isn't?

To the post above mine: what's these 150 billion baht you claim he stole represent?

Edited by tartempion

Thaksin was taking Thailand into authoritarian rule as a corporatist. The King wisely endorsed the peaceful coup at the last minute, before Thaksin cemented his power. This was a crisis of democracy and extroardinary measures were required.

I'm happy at least that you state this so openly and blatantly.

Thaksin initially did some good things to manipulate public opinion and he tossed crumbs from his banquet table to the hungry.

Agree with that as well. In doing so he, perhaps somewhat unintentionally, awakened a belief among the rural poor that they can have and should have a meaningful voice in how the country is run. History may show that this was the moment that people started to move away from the old dinosaur politics where regional clans bought support, in favor of more issues-based campaigning. The coup put a hard stop to that, but didn't put those feelings to bed.

IMHO; those that still support this man are the types that are uncomfortable with the freedoms of messy democracy. Some are more comfortable inside a train that is forced to travel only on tracks laid by others.

Reading Red leaning blogs, groups and talking to people, I don't get that impression. PAD on the other hand was very open in stating that they wanted to move to a 'managed democracy', which of course is not a democracy at all.

The free world has decided on the latter is seems, but it's getting less free all the time anyway. The King was wise to derail this train on behalf of Thai people. I really like that man a lot. Thai people are very lucky.

I know I am and my family is, and I definitely know the Bangkok middle class by and large feels lucky.. The Red rallies and demonstrations do show however that there are people out there, typically with less money and currently without any meaningful voice into how the country is run, who feel less lucky. They too love His Majesty, as does everyone. They do however very much feel disenfranchised in the current political system.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

you guys are totally depressing.

:)

where is the :yawn: emoticon?

Thaksin has now been shown a way out that allows him to keep a good part of his considerable fortune.

Thailand can prosecute him even more and take the rest too if he doesn't step out of the country's politics.

That would be the smart thing to do.

!!!!? Were you at all around when Thaksin called elections which then ground the entire politcial system to a halt due to a boycott from the Democrat party, causing the stalemate that directly led to the coup?

He called elections in 2006 as a way of trying to get a mandate to excuse his AIS sale to Temasek. The elections were boycotted not only by the Democrats, but also by his largest coalition partner, the CTP, clearly because they felt he should have resigned due to irregularities in the sale - the offshore money movements, the inter family transfer of shares at 1baht prior to the sale, where they reached around 30baht, the way the law was changed to allow foreign ownership and the sale went ahead the following day, mighty fast due diligence by Temasek, unless they knew that the law was to be changed in advance? The lack of a single satang in tax paid on the deal. Yes, some will spout about how technically no laws were broken, but it's hardly ethical behaviour from the PM of a country, and would have brought down any western leader. So he called an election, hoping to buy his way to another mandate. The opposition, and his main partner, boycotted it, as was their right. It could have backfired horribly on them, he could have won a 100% share of the house, but he didn't. The man the people love so much couldn't even win an election with no opposition. Even despite his cheating by paying people to run against him so as to satisfy the voting percentages, and by arranging the polling booths so voters could be monitored as to who they were voting for. He still didn't win. He resigned, mysteriously came back as caretaker, had a certain timeframe in which to call new elections, or really resign by going to the King, refused to do so, and so was not the legally elected PM of Thailand at the time of the coup, whatever you may think of the way he was "ousted". He was then banned from politics, along with the other TRT executives, for five years, for cheating in the election. Yes, I was here. I've been here since Prem was PM. That's what happened.

All spot on.

The guy was and remains serious trouble,

and needs to be excised from the body politic permanently.

Well at least the military junta appointed finance minister is up front and open about his interference with the judiciary.

not like the rest of the elites.

No interference claimed or stated at all.

You are imagining that totally.

He ONLY said after that fact he would have been tougher on him.

But you keep trying to get traction with these endless attacks on Thaksins opponents,

sadly, for you, they don't have more than 'axles resting on mud' to move with. Spinning wheels.

IE. you're going nowhere with this dude!

one post deleted

Please read this rule before you post

2) Not to express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family. Discussion of the lese majeste law or lese majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family. To breach this rule will result in immediate ban.

one post deleted

Please read this forum rule before you post

2) Not to express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family. Discussion of the lese majeste law or lese majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family. To breach this rule will result in immediate ban.