Guinness

millwall_fan

After the last couple of barrels of Guinness that each of their outlets in Chiang Mai is being supplied with (O'Malley's, Red Lion, Olde Bell, The Pub and UN Irish Pub) thats the end of Guinness (and I gather Kilkenny) in Thailand. Apparantly Diageo are removing their subsidy and Diethem the importer says that would double the price and have cancelled their contract. Unless Diageo can come up with another distributer thats the end of Guinness. (Even if they could, who'd pay 300-350 a pint?)

On a separate note, Strongbow cider are pulling out of Thailand as well. Neither loss constitutes the end of the world, I know, but I thought some of you guys might like to know.

They imposed new excise duties to make up for the loss of tarriff revenue.

(dressed up as keeping prices up to ensure that people don't drink more - about as convincing as Gordon Brown calling his taxes on airfares 'Green Taxes'!)

Another case of TIT (and that is being very kind to this 5th world country)

No Guinness...

No Carlsberg...

No Kloster...

What will be next... ?

Just a bunch of 3rd rate hookers is about all that will be left !!

Edited by krakatoa

It's the Malaysian stuff htat's disappearing Jack!

MESmith: I thought we'd be able to get a whole raft od Asian beers after Jan 1st including ABC and the very palatable Myanmar beer. Large Beer Lao, Anchor, Anker and Angkhor, Vietnamese beers etc etc, but no sign yet. Lot of powerful players at Inbev and Boonrawd trying their darndest to keep it our of course!

I've learned to stomach Blackthorn, and if I look around I can find Magner's, which I much prefer to Strongbow, but will Strongbow's retreat take Magner's with it?

One of the few good things to ever come out of Hereford, Strongbow; apart from the cow of course. :)

MESmith: I thought we'd be able to get a whole raft od Asian beers after Jan 1st including ABC and the very palatable Myanmar beer. Large Beer Lao, Anchor, Anker and Angkhor, Vietnamese beers etc etc, but no sign yet. Lot of powerful players at Inbev and Boonrawd trying their darndest to keep it our of course!

What a <deleted> state of affairs. I remember drinking the real Guinness in Phuket several years ago and it was 350 then before the Malay stuff came over. Something about the importer ripping everyone off comes to mind.

The variety of beers here is becoming shockingly lame. While there are various English, German, French beers in certain supermarkets, in general at your average bar and store, the choice is Chang, Sing, Leo, or, if you're lucky, that nasty stuff Heineken. I'm partial to Tiger as it's the closest one to Carlsberg out there now, but even that is only available in certain spots and fewer 7-11s. Someone needs to boot these big Thai breweries right up the jacksy.

This subject was brought up before. I do not know if it is true or not because I have not asked the bars, pubs, etc. I only know what I have read in these postings.

Saying one tax was raised to off set the loss of import duties from Asian countries doesn't justify no longer importing. Even if the new taxes made the price higher, there might still be a reduced market for it.

So is there some authoritative source for the statement, "It will be removed from the market"?

I've learned to stomach Blackthorn, and if I look around I can find Magner's, which I much prefer to Strongbow, but will Strongbow's retreat take Magner's with it?

One of the few good things to ever come out of Hereford, Strongbow; apart from the cow of course. :)

What a <deleted> state of affairs. I remember drinking the real Guinness in Phuket several years ago and it was 350 then before the Malay stuff came over. Something about the importer ripping everyone off comes to mind.

The variety of beers here is becoming shockingly lame. While there are various English, German, French beers in certain supermarkets, in general at your average bar and store, the choice is Chang, Sing, Leo, or, if you're lucky, that nasty stuff Heineken. I'm partial to Tiger as it's the closest one to Carlsberg out there now, but even that is only available in certain spots and fewer 7-11s. Someone needs to boot these big Thai breweries right up the jacksy.

Dont you have sam miguel in sunny cm

It's all going wrong : :D

No guinness or cider

No multichoice after May

The baht at 48 to the pound

Anyone have any good news :)

Millwall are only one place off the play-offs!

The baht at 48 to the pound after May...that may be good news! It could be lower

Oh and Leeds United still in second place, thus avoiding play offs, more good news.

Pedr, wherever she is Nan will be sad about the Guiness news :D

This subject was brought up before. I do not know if it is true or not because I have not asked the bars, pubs, etc. I only know what I have read in these postings.

Saying one tax was raised to off set the loss of import duties from Asian countries doesn't justify no longer importing. Even if the new taxes made the price higher, there might still be a reduced market for it.

So is there some authoritative source for the statement, "It will be removed from the market"?

Not sure how authoritative you need!: I am a publican. The rep from Diethelm came to see me at The Olde Bell on Thursday and geve me the info I have passed on to ThaiVisa members. I know the same info was passed to O'Malley's, I'm sure the same will have gone to The Pub and UN Irish. Red Lion Kevin was in Luang Prabang, but presumably whoever he left in charge was told - Kev's probably more concerned about his impending visit from the Cyper Police to bother about a small matter like the disappearance of Guinness!

Of course I've only heard the gospel according to Diethelm- it maybe that Diageo have a different story: local supplier gets greedy and demands more commission? Who knows. It wouldn't be the first time! If that is the case. Diageo will re-emerge with a different ditributer in a whiles time. If they charge 350 a pint, though, I for one won't be stocking it, and I don't suppose many of my coleagues in the pub trade will either!

It's all going wrong : :)

Millwall are only one place off the play-offs!

The baht at 48 to the pound after May...that may be good news! It could be lower

Oh and Leeds United still in second place, thus avoiding play offs, more good news.

Pedr, wherever she is Nan will be sad about the Guiness news :D

Ha! Ha! Nan did enjoy a Guinness and any other drink she could get hold of! Last heard of in Loei, I gather!

On the football front my dear Basinboy, just recall the play-offs last May!! Too early to start crowing just yet!!!

More money to be made by going up via the play-offs!!

youre virtually omnipressant on this "forum" since taking over from the other pub.

havent you got any mice stories. water stories. something to whet our appetites

ps I want to order your exec cheese platter as advertised on meals on wheels at 215thb whn i come in .

OK

How can there be an Irish pub without Guinness? It hurts, it really hurts.

I think the Irish Pub (Ratwithee Rd) didn't serve Guiness (esp. on tap) for the larger part of it's existence?

Anyway, I don't drink beer, but I feel your pain. I imagine it must feel something like when Sangthip disappeared.

Jackr

dont forget the SAS come out of Hereford,how dare you forget them lol

I thought they were primarily based in Pattaya bars?

you can tell theyre sitting in there when you see the yellow hummers parked outside :)