Looking For A Good All Girl Secondary School

DeepSea

The thread covering schooling at the head of this sub-forum is full of good information, but my daughter is slightly older and I would like to consider my options for her secondary education and hope I might be able to draw on the experience of the readers here.

I have been working overseas and visiting Thailand for the past 15 years. I built a house about 10 years ago and have a 9 year old daughter who speaks much better Thai than English (you know the story, she is surrounded by Thai family and friends day in day out and she finds it easier to communicate with me in Thai, even though I have always tried to make an effort to speak English with her; I simply spend far too much time away from home).

She attends a small private school and I am fairly happy with her academic progress to date, but as she approaches secondary school age, I want to find a good 'all girl' school (not necessarily an international school... Regent et al are out of my price range) which will provide a good stepping stone for university entrance.

I am not concerned where the school is located (Bkk, Chiang Mai, Phuket...) and will consider full time boarding in an effort to imbue a little independance, but they must have a sound academic record and as I said, be an all girl school. To date, I have only found one such school with a full time boarding program Rajinibon School they are located in Bkk and have a good math/science program, but I would like to consider other options.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond to this post.

Hi Deep Sea,

Here is my experience;

I spent 12 years in 'khema Siri Anusorn' from aged 6 to 18, it was all-girls boarding school in Bangkok. The owner was Prince Kasemsri, now the grand daughter is operating in the new location on the other side of the Pin klaw bridge. Proud to say most of my school mates had gone to Thammasart, Chula, Khasetsart and continuing their study in the US, UK, Australis, German.

Having read some comments from other posters who condemn the notion of sending a too young girl away ( from the parents) to live among other school boarders. Sorry to hear that you didn't experience a good life there.

As for me, looking back I saw a few episods that I wasn't happy about it. But overall I felt life in boarding school had done me good than bad. It had built me a high self esteem, taught me to be an open minded person, to respect elderly, to passionate to the young or those are less fortunate, I can carry myself among those dignitaries ( Ambassadors, Thai ministers, police generals.. etc) or mingle with the poors or lower class pretty fairly.

Ask for 'Rachenee Bon', that's a good boarding school, it locates quite close to 'Khema'. In my time there were two other girl schools 'St Joseph' and 'Wattana', check it out.

Good luck on your search. :)

Hi Tinkelbell,

I am presuming that you are a Thai national...? Your impressive command of the English language (Syntax and Grammar) is streets ahead of that posted by the one individual who decided his time would be well spent attacking my decision to 'consider' educating my daughter in a boarding school environment and is testament to a quality education.

Thank you so very much for taking the time to post your experience, you have restored my faith in the kind of people who populate these forums. I appreciate your comments and will look closely at the schools you mention.

Kind regards,

Deepsea.

Edited by DeepSea

Deep Sea,

I hope you don't mind me asking you, but I am curious to know why it should be an all girls school by all means?

Hi Keestha,

No, I don't mind you asking at all. In my opinion (and it is only my opinion), girls seem to perform better at school when they are not distracted (directly or indirectly) by boys in the classroom. There will probably now be an avalanche of 'expert' opinion informing me of the errors in my thinking, but c'est la vie...

Hi, it'me again. Thanks for nice words, khun Deep Sea.

You were right.... I'm Thai, Bangkok born and bred.

It's my pleasure to come here in this topic and tell the world about the other side of the notion of sending a rather too young girl to be under care by strangers.

Khun Deep Sea, your story is quite similar to mine.

My father (rest his soul) was seldom home dued to a lot of business travelling, mother was not in the best of health. I was mostly been looked-after by a maid. When father heard that his brothers ( I called them 'loong' and 'arh' ) were sending their girls to boarding school Khema, he jumped at the chance.

So six of us girls started school at the same day but were placed in different grades....I was the youngest. :)

Now we feel blessed since six of us married ( 4 with Thais, 2 with Americans) and currently are living a good retirement life in the USA.

I say your girl is lucky to have a father who loves her dearly and very concern about her education and want the very best for her future.

chook dee naka ! :D