Jump to content

BYD Seal tips, tricks and help


Recommended Posts

The idea of this thread is to help Seal owners navigate the onboard tech and share tips and tricks.

 

I’m finding the menus within menus quite frustrating. It all seems unnecessarily complicated. I’ve been reading the online Netherlands manual which is in English. Maybe it’s just me, but there are still some things I cannot find. Or I find them and then forget how I found them and have to search all over again.

 

For example: I managed to set the driver’s seat memories. But I cannot work out how to switch between the two. You would think there’d be a switch on the driver’s door, but no! I can switch, but it involves rummaging about in the centre display to locate the relevant page.

 

This thread might prevent other Seal owners from getting too many headaches trying to work things out.
 
So, does anyone know how to easily switch between the seat memories? I fear there is no simple way.

 

And if anyone can explain page 111 to me (about the Electronic Parking Brake as opposed to “P”) I’d appreciate it. It’s probably very simple but the description in the manual is mumbo-jumbo to me. 
 

  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The part about the manual EPB does seem a little confusing, especially this part

IMG_1565.jpeg.a65a1953f02e1c75a5ed6a5750fe24d1.jpeg

 

Assuming this means; selecting manual mode in the info screen you have to manually actuate the EPB when parking the car.

Am also assuming you have to manually release it when starting the car although it doesn’t tell you that.

 

Automatic EPB engagement and release mode means when you select P ( parking gear ) with your foot on brake the EPB engages and likewise when you put your foot on the brake and select either D ( Drive ) or R ( Reverse ) the EPB is released.

 

The large P ( parking gear ) , as opposed to D, R or N , versus the small p in a circle ( parking brake ) does seem to cause confusion, especially among the Thai owners.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I found this, which is a simplified version.

Manual :

 

IMG_1566.jpeg.b58704006b146f5f9965a7899516eb8b.jpeg

 

Automatic:

 

IMG_1567.jpeg.849a401077f743d39a0c13dd665ec343.jpeg

 

 

 

Thanks. I'm now understanding this a lot better, sort of.


"Be sure to engage the EPB every time before parking and leaving the vehicle."


This instruction is redundant as, when you park and leave the car, you simply press P below the gear selector which automatically turns on the EPB. No need to go to the trouble of turning on the EPB option in the infotainment touchscreen, wherever the option is located, and then selecting P.

 

Over complicated for no good reason.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, macahoom said:

 

Thanks. I'm now understanding this a lot better, sort of.


"Be sure to engage the EPB every time before parking and leaving the vehicle."


This instruction is redundant as, when you park and leave the car, you simply press P below the gear selector which automatically turns on the EPB. No need to go to the trouble of turning on the EPB option in the infotainment touchscreen, wherever the option is located, and then selecting P.

 

Over complicated for no good reason.


Unless it means somewhere in the info screen there’s an option to select either manual or automatic EPB  and once set that mode remains unless you change it ??

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I know this is a Seal topic but this Atto youtube addresses use of the EPB starting at approx the 27:30 mark.   Use of the "manual" EPB basically just allows someone to slam on the emergency brake if needed for some reason.  As mentioned before when you press P for park the EPB is engaged.  When driving I'm pretty sure if you press P while moving nothing happens....but if you would pull the manual EPB switch it would apply the emergency brake.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:


Unless it means somewhere in the info screen there’s an option to select either manual or automatic EPB  and once set that mode remains unless you change it ??

 

 

Yes, there is. But it's a very inconvenient option when you need to access it every time you turn the car off - and on again.

Edited by macahoom
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pib said:

 

I know this is a Seal topic but this Atto youtube addresses use of the EPB starting at approx the 27:30 mark.   Use of the "manual" EPB basically just allows someone to slam on the emergency brake if needed for some reason.  As mentioned before when you press P for park the EPB is engaged.  When driving I'm pretty sure if you press P while moving nothing happens....but if you would pull the manual EPB switch it would apply the emergency brake.

 

 

 

Yes, that’s for the Atto 3 which appears to have an actual mechanical EPB switch.

 

In the Seal, the EPB switch is buried within the infotainment touchscreen  - a real pain in the ass to access every time you want to power down the car. Luckily, it looks like you can ignore the need to do this and simply press the P switch instead, as this automatically engages the EPB.

 

As for accessing the EPB on/off for an emergency stop, good luck with that! Maybe pressing the P switch will work in that situation?

 

Edit: Yeh, I just checked the manual and if an emergency stop is required and the brake pedal does not work, pressing the P switch will do the trick. Although, slightly confusingly, it states elsewhere in the manual to never press the P switch when the car is moving!

Edited by macahoom
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, macahoom said:

 

Yes, there is. But it's a very inconvenient option when you need to access it every time you turn the car off - and on again.


Okay, I understand now, the Seal doesn’t have a mechanical EPB switch so yes you are right the manual EPB option is very inconvenient.

 

In the same section ( page 111 ) I see something called “ Trailer mode “, presumably this is where you need to leave the car in Neutral with no EPB engaged for pushing purposes i.e. parallel parking in the mall car park or pulling up onto the rescue flatbed truck ( god forbid this should happen ! ) ?? and not Trailer Towing as on page 101 as I don’t imagine any “ mode “ is required for this .

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe we are to old for this modern cars, for example I owns a Isuzu MUX with camera's in front to keep automatic distant, it also helps in the event of an emergency stop.

But it also sees danger that is not actually there , so if you don't have your seatbelt on you will be sitting with your head through the windscreen.

My solution is all cameras painted black with nail polish, I'll decide for myself with 60 years of driving experience wheter or not I should stop.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A good example regarding my comment about being too old for modern cars happened to my ex, she bought a VW T-cross with all the trimmings, but there were quite a few complaints, among others I noticed when I was waiting outside, that when she put the car in reverse, the boot lid handle opened halfway.
When we told this to our son, he started laughing....it is the camera that pops up when you put the car in reverse, at least 1 less complaint.
Although with my Isuzu, it doesn't happen when I shift into reverse.
 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

Has anyone fitted the Atto Dashcam yet?

 

From what I can gather, the Atto Dashcam can be easily fitted (my dealership doesn't do it) but it is a forward facing camera only. And it has no sound, although I don't know why sound is needed.

 

I'm leaning towards the 70mai A810 combined with a rear camera. I'm a little concerned about the installation. I don't really want to be a first Seal installation guinea pig.

 

I'm about to order it. I will post when I know more.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, macahoom said:

 

From what I can gather, the Atto Dashcam can be easily fitted (my dealership doesn't do it) but it is a forward facing camera only. And it has no sound, although I don't know why sound is needed.

 

I'm leaning towards the 70mai A810 combined with a rear camera. I'm a little concerned about the installation. I don't really want to be a first Seal installation guinea pig.

 

I'm about to order it. I will post when I know more.


I will try the BYD built in dashcam to see what actual resolution is like but am at least a month away from car delivery ( @Bandersnatch will hopefully testing it out shortly ).

@Pib can give us some of his thoughts on the camera.

If okay will look at putting my 70Mai A500 rear facing .

Barring this will also go for the 70Mai A810.


Thanks for being the guinea pig Macahoom it is appreciated 😊

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In a Thai household the “Chew Len” (nickname - literally play name) is important

 

May I introduce “Moo Dang” (red pig) and “Mot Dang” (red ant) 

 

20210601_061736506_iOS.thumb.jpeg.506b057119f5fe547550fd49157a684b.jpeg
20230426_091412949_iOS.thumb.jpeg.29e34056f6de70df83bba427a03c295e.jpeg

 

The problem currently is what to call our White Seal. Seal in Thai is “Maw Nam” (water cat) but “Maw Nam See Cow” (white water cat) is a bit long for a nickname 

 

I did suggest the car already has it’s name on the back, so why not call it 3.8? Not cute apparently. 


We will probably stick with just “Maw Nam” (water cat) for now but if we end up getting his & her seals, the lack of colour distinction might cause confusion.

 

Any suggestions grateful received 

 

 

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

In a Thai household the “Chew Len” (nickname - literally play name) is important

 

May I introduce “Moo Dang” (red pig) and “Mot Dang” (red ant) 

 

20210601_061736506_iOS.thumb.jpeg.506b057119f5fe547550fd49157a684b.jpeg
20230426_091412949_iOS.thumb.jpeg.29e34056f6de70df83bba427a03c295e.jpeg

 

The problem currently is what to call our White Seal. Seal in Thai is “Maw Nam” (water cat) but “Maw Nam See Cow” (white water cat) is a bit long for a nickname 

 

I did suggest the car already has it’s name on the back, so why not call it 3.8? Not cute apparently. 


We will probably stick with just “Maw Nam” (water cat) for now but if we end up getting his & her seals, the lack of colour distinction might cause confusion.

 

Any suggestions grateful received 

 

 

 

So you're getting the Performance?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

In a Thai household the “Chew Len” (nickname - literally play name) is important

 

May I introduce “Moo Dang” (red pig) and “Mot Dang” (red ant) 

 

20210601_061736506_iOS.thumb.jpeg.506b057119f5fe547550fd49157a684b.jpeg
20230426_091412949_iOS.thumb.jpeg.29e34056f6de70df83bba427a03c295e.jpeg

 

The problem currently is what to call our White Seal. Seal in Thai is “Maw Nam” (water cat) but “Maw Nam See Cow” (white water cat) is a bit long for a nickname 

 

I did suggest the car already has it’s name on the back, so why not call it 3.8? Not cute apparently. 


We will probably stick with just “Maw Nam” (water cat) for now but if we end up getting his & her seals, the lack of colour distinction might cause confusion.

 

Any suggestions grateful received 

 

 


Keep it simple.

An si khao - the white one

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone any idea of the workings of the DAW - Driver Attention Warning?

 

I can only find very vague descriptions of exactly what it does. The manual's description is hopeless. Presumably it makes some sort of visual/audible alarm if the car detects that your driving is becoming sloppy or you’re nodding off.

 

I’ve found a detailed description about how a similar feature on a Kia works, but I’d love to know what to expect on the Seal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Anyone any idea of the workings of the DAW - Driver Attention Warning?

 

I can only find very vague descriptions of exactly what it does. The manual's description is hopeless. Presumably it makes some sort of visual/audible alarm if the car detects that your driving is becoming sloppy or you’re nodding off.

 

I’ve found a detailed description about how a similar feature on a Kia works, but I’d love to know what to expect on the Seal.

 

 

Did you mean the TFAC ?

 

 

TimeForACoffee.thumb.jpg.99c4c28e39a06c065b61c91ca96a6f42.jpg

 

 

Time For A Coffee

 

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
×
  • Create New...