Convert To Lpg

hi all,

i have read quite a few things on this forum about lpg and ngv/cng, and we are thinking of converting our vigo to lpg, but it seems to be a bit more complicated and expensive for diesel cars (i was told it is possible but we are in thailand were everything...). Has anyone done it on vigo and what result came out. I am still confused, you still fill up the original tank with diesel right? then you add another tank for lpg and then the engine runs with a mix of the 2, 30 to 50 per cent of lpg in the diesel. Can the car still run with only diesel? i guess not. In most cases The LPG tank will empty faster, right? Is there any LPG system that could be changed,"up graded" to cng easily?

lastly any one would advice a good reliable place to do that in the northern regions, and does Toyota always remove the garantee if we do the convertion???

Thanks a lot

I haven't converted a Vigo to run on LPG but you are correct in your understanding of the system; the two fuels mix together and the warranty is voided when you install LPG. I think the vehicle can still run on diesel (there's a switch or something) but LPG can't be 'upgraded' to NGV; they are two separate systems.

I was asking about LPG/NGV on this forum last month and it's been discussed numerous times; I'm still confused, it's like Marmite - everyone's got a different, polarised opinion. I'd be interested if anyone's done LPG on a Vigo - I thought diesel was efficient enough. The common coment about LPG is that it's heavily subsidized and who knows how long that will last.

I haven't converted a Vigo to run on LPG but you are correct in your understanding of the system; the two fuels mix together and the warranty is voided when you install LPG. I think the vehicle can still run on diesel (there's a switch or something) but LPG can't be 'upgraded' to NGV; they are two separate systems.

I was asking about LPG/NGV on this forum last month and it's been discussed numerous times; I'm still confused, it's like Marmite - everyone's got a different, polarised opinion. I'd be interested if anyone's done LPG on a Vigo - I thought diesel was efficient enough. The common coment about LPG is that it's heavily subsidized and who knows how long that will last.

Depending on what system is being used.

Should always start on pure diesel, and switch to LPG blend not before engine coolant is above 65C. A good electronic system does this automaticly.

In addition a switch to choose LPG/diesel mix or pure diesel.

If running 50/50, which is probably max LPG ratio for Vigo diesel, LPG tanks should be 125% of diesel tank in liter cause LPG tank can never be filled more 75/80% due to explotion risk, IOW a 90 litres LPG tank takes 75 litres of LPG. Vigo dieseltank is 75 litres, so a 90 litres LPG tank would require LPG and diesel refill same time

best diesel/LPG systems seems to come from Canada. Tank, pipes and hoses can be thai made.

LPG can give much better performance and savings on fuel

If anyone can find a good system for Vigo 3,0, I d be interested

CNG?NGV is a totally different system, tanks need to be double the size of LPG to achive same range, and system is too expensive to ever be covered with my 30-40k km a year. Besides CNG is available few places in LOS.

the 3.0 litre Vigo is one of the most economical cars on the road .

:)

Well, I wouldn't go that far.....but you would need to be really stacking up the miles to see a worthwhile saving after taking the installation costs into account.

:D

Edited by INTJ

Why on earth would you consider doing this , the 3.0 litre Vigo is one of the most economical cars on the road .

You will not save anything by converting to gas and also loose a bit of power .

totally disegree

diesel/LPG mixed usually gains approx 50% power.

piggyback in additon, expect 300hp and 550Nm. Running approx 30% cheaper than 163hp diesel only

done it with other engines

Read some on the internet that confirms katabeach his post although the power increase seems less

but the emission is a lot better and it seems that the fuel consumption is lower as well

Any addresses in Bangkok or Ayutthaya that can do this???

Read some on the internet that confirms katabeach his post although the power increase seems less

but the emission is a lot better and it seems that the fuel consumption is lower as well

Any addresses in Bangkok or Ayutthaya that can do this???

what we found 10 years ago with Canadian kits installed in large diesels, 6,5L Detroit (Chevy), 7,3L International Harvest (Ford), 5,9L Cummins (Dodge Ram), 10,5L Caterpillar 3208 in mobilehome, increase in power was 30% with 20% better milage. Or increase in power was 50% with same milage as pure diesel.

Since LOS LPG cost 50% of diesel, 50% powergain, same milage or slightly(10%) better, reduces fuelcost approx 30%.

Question is, has anyone developed a good electronic controlled system for thai spec 163 hp 3,0 D4d?

Thanks all

well why on earth i consider converting,

because of the efficiency (but people still argue about it) but mostly because we try to be as green as possible and diesel is the worth regarding pollution. micro particules. even with the best filter it cannot match petrol, so i expect lpg to be the greenest for our vigo (we put ngv a side)

yes yes you will say "if you wanted to be green why have you bought a vigo" i know we could have bought a small car but as we where building a house we needed a pick up.

Thanks all

because of the efficiency (but people still argue about it) but mostly because we try to be as green as possible and diesel is the worth regarding pollution. micro particules. even with the best filter it cannot match petrol, so i expect lpg to be the greenest for our vigo (we put ngv a side)

yes yes you will say "if you wanted to be green why have you bought a vigo" i know we could have bought a small car but as we where building a house we needed a pick up.

if you want to run 3,0 D4d diesel green, use Shell VPower Euro IV diesel. Normal Thai Euro III diesel contains 600% more sulphur. Thats what makes the particles in exhaust.

I have read a lot concerning LPG and diesel. From my research, most articles say that 30 to 40 percent LPG gives optimum economy and power. Apparently the LPG addition enhances clean burning of the diesel fuel.

Unfortunately the correct installation is quite expensive. It involves machining the head so injectors can be installed as well as the complicated electronics.

A decent payback is only to be expected from daily long distance use. For that kind of use, natural gas should be seriously considered.

You might find some interesting/useful advice if you google. Have a look at GO LPG for example. I wandered around an LPG exibition in Ngam Womg Wan Mall a couple of years ago..can't recall anyone offering that conversion though..clearly not popular here for a small vehicle.

However look at Bananagas.com they do it, They are somewhere around Ram Intra. As for a loss of warranty..what do you think..this is Thailand. Here you will even loose your warrenty if lower the suspension..............

I seem to remember that 10% LPG was the limit..maybe things have changed now though.

Edited by John45

Here is a quote for a cheaper setup;

Full set for DDF without tanks is 11000 baht. which is inclusive of

1) ECU + wire harness

2) injectors

3) vaporiser

4) manual switch and valves

5) solenoid for gas exchange

tank prices varies for Cylindrical and toridal tanks. so depending on the Litres the prices will vary.

IF you have prior experience in installation you can install it on your own, as it does not vary much from other gas installation kits.

best regards

Ken

Trinity Electronics (Thailand) Ltd

• 10 months later...

Seems like a pain in the Hiney. I mean , you have to fill two tanks constantly. Sound like it would be easier to swap the engine to a petrol powerplant and convert that!

Greg

diesel LPG would make approx 13km/L, while similar power petrol engine would be 5-7km/L, and range with hidden LPG tank in Vigo approx 2-300km

range for diesel LPG Vigo is approx 12-1400km. 75 liter diesel and 40 liter LPG(max size hidden tank), runs out of fuel same time

Thanks all

are you kidding? You bought a pick up in order to build a house. maybe I AM A CLOWN.

• 1 year later...