Best Ever Steak In My Life!

lingnoi1977

the steaks at GoodView are very good, both the imported and the local beef,, comes with roast potato, mash or fried and veges...

if you dont want to get your ears blasted best to go befoe the live band starts at 8pm..

Their burgers were truly great at one time. Even Joe Cummings of Lonely Planet fame used to rave about them and he was a vegetarian for something like 20 years.

Nowadays, I go there for ice cold beer and free, fresh popcorn. :)

Going there for the FREE popcorn about sums up the class of clientel CMS has now days....it's not worth going there to pay for their food!

Try La Terrasse in Loi Kroh at the side of the temple a very good fillet steak with a drink is around the 650 baht mark

No free popcorn though!

Well the guy in the gorilla suit will probably say something about heat stress but I have just spent two months in Perth and had steak every 2nd night.

Gave the rib eye a miss and went for the sirloin "medium to well"

Drop dead fall off the fork stuff.

I might give the Dukes a try but I surely ain't putting out Baht 6,000.00 for something I can get in NZ or OZ for a a tenth of that price.

And as for Joe Cummings he could afford to eat at Raffles every night for what they charge for their over the top priced books.

Lonely Planet, most of their books are out of date (hope that they are not sponsors) long before they reach the shelves.

How can any guide book be relevant when the last meal that you had in a restaurant is the most accurate indication of what's good and what's not.

Talk to a Thai about steak and they say Baan Rai but a Thai wouldn't know shyt from shinola when talking about steak (and a myriad of other things to boot)

Cozumelito quote
then you should try the matsusaka beef that is sold at Rimping. Best steak I ever had. Of course at more than 6000 baht per kilo it had better be.

You are probably right. When I see meat (or anything) at that price I just walk away. We raised the odd beef animal when I lived on a small farm in Canada, and had it properly butchered. But, is was just range fed and not given grain. It was good, but not as good as the wild sheep.

wild sheep? what does it taste like Ian? Gamey?

Not gamey in the slightest bit. It really tastes like fine beef if it isn't over cooked. If over cooked it turns pastey. The meat texture is very fine and smooth. It's NOTHING like domestic sheep in any way. I like domestic lamb chops, but I don't like mutton very much.

And as for Joe Cummings he could afford to eat at Raffles every night for what they charge for their over the top priced books.

No reason to dis Joe. Many Thai Visa folks know and love him and he follows the site regularly. However, I don't think that he has any great love for Lonely Planet anymore, so you guys might see eye to eye on that. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Nowadays, I go there for ice cold beer and free, fresh popcorn. :)

Going there for the FREE popcorn about sums up the class of clientel CMS has now days....it's not worth going there to pay for their food!

Um, that's the traditional class of clientele for Chiang Mai. The snobs are the relatively recent arrivals. :rolleyes

Well the guy in the gorilla suit will probably say something about heat stress but I have just spent two months in Perth and had steak every 2nd night.

Gave the rib eye a miss and went for the sirloin "medium to well"

Drop dead fall off the fork stuff.

I might give the Dukes a try but I surely ain't putting out Baht 6,000.00 for something I can get in NZ or OZ for a a tenth of that price.

Lonely Planet, most of their books are out of date (hope that they are not sponsors) long before they reach the shelves.

How can any guide book be relevant when the last meal that you had in a restaurant is the most accurate indication of what's good and what's not.

Talk to a Thai about steak and they say Baan Rai but a Thai wouldn't know shyt from shinola when talking about steak (and a myriad of other things to boot)

Well Krak , head on down to Gecko and pick up a 2nd hand Lonely Planet . Spend some time reading it and maybe you'll clear the smog....

I personally like Joe Cummings and Lonely Planet.... I think they have both done a trememdous amount of good for Chiang Mai. I know they have for me..... anyone in the hospitality aspects would appreciate both of their contributions.

fini

I'm not able to report the same.

I met a friend from Chiang Rai about a month ago there.

His friend ordered all Thai food, said it was great (spicy clear rice noodle seafood salad).

My pal from CR ordered tacos. So so.

I ordered the steak. Selected ribeye, and was specific to mention "rare to medium rare".

Look, for 199 B don't expect a thick piece of meat.

It came perfectly cooked, with french fries and some salad on a large plate.

I thought it was altogether acceptable for the price.

No big deal, the mileage may vary, but at 199 B for a steak dinner... :)

As a close observer to this friendly scenario of dining out in Chiang Mai I can vouch for the fact that the steak looked very nice. It was cooked as requested and appeared to be quite tasty and more than adequate for the cost.

I think the OP's expectations may have been a little high for the type of place involved. Sure there are better steaks around but we're talking about "pub grub" on the specials board here.

And the tacos were a little better than "so so". :D

I'm not able to report the same.

I met a friend from Chiang Rai about a month ago there.

His friend ordered all Thai food, said it was great (spicy clear rice noodle seafood salad).

My pal from CR ordered tacos. So so.

I ordered the steak. Selected ribeye, and was specific to mention "rare to medium rare".

Look, for 199 B don't expect a thick piece of meat.

It came perfectly cooked, with french fries and some salad on a large plate.

I thought it was altogether acceptable for the price.

No big deal, the mileage may vary, but at 199 B for a steak dinner... :)

That has mostly been my experience also, though I gave up on the 199B offer a long

time ago, and instead pay the extra for the, I believe, Australian beef.

Not great, but more than fine enough. The manager also seems to do a good

job with the staff and watching the place. Tthe staff can't be too unhappy either as some

of them must have worked there for years now.

One of the better places on the road in my opinion.