Money Orders

ZOVOX

Im not sure mate (I think no), but there is always Western Union or ????

The Doc might know?

Western Union is fine, and probably the easy way to go. Oz banks can issue Thai baht cheques that can be paid into the payess account here.

Are the cheques payable only to the payee (with identification?) or is it another item that could "mysteriously" go missing?....Can any one else cash the cheuques is what im asking? and which bank/credit union are you suggesting....thanks..

Open your own account and do it direct,or direct to the account of whoever is to cash the money order.Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) was recommended to me ,just need a passport and whoever gets an ATM card as well :o .It's easy and surprisingly quick (like on the day).

check your in box sent PM

Open your own account and do it direct,or direct to the account of whoever is to cash the money order.Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) was recommended to me ,just need a passport and whoever gets an ATM card as well :o .It's easy and surprisingly quick (like on the day).

check your in box sent PM

Western Union is an easy way but it costs $35 per transaction and banks will do an Electronic Funds Transfer to a Thai Bank account for a similar fee.

Money orders arent reliable and bank cheques can go missing

That is my experience anyway.

A quick Google check shows OZ post office sell Western Union transfers at $8.65 per transaction up to $1,000 and only in US Dollars (which are then converted to local currency). They say payment must be made into a bank account (rather than normal WU payment in cash). They do not seem to offer international money order service.

A quick Google check shows OZ post office sell Western Union transfers at $8.65 per transaction up to $1,000 and only in US Dollars (which are then converted to local currency).  They say payment must be made into a bank account (rather than normal WU payment in cash).  They do not seem to offer international money order service.

Sorry mate....I do WU every month from Oz and the fee is $35.....can be sent as Aus dollar or Thai baht.....and can be sent via the Thai post office....she will need the senders address, Her ID and the transaction number in order to collect. I usually send her an SMS with the number and the amount sent as soon as I have sent it so she can collect right away.

A search on the WU site will give a list of post offices in Thailand that will accept the transaction.

This seems to be another animal but whatever it is not very attractive in time and fact they say must be deposited into a bank account (not paid at post office).

http://www.auspost.com.au/IXP/0,1083,CH2020%257EMO19,00.html

That is the WU Int'l Money order that you described before....as I read it, it applies only to transactions to the US...

Western Union International Money Orders

It's easy to send a money order to the USA. Western Union money orders are sold at all larger postal outlets.

They are issued in US dollars only, but can also be accepted as foreign currency deposit instruments outside the USA, at the discretion of the recipient’s bank.

Western Union international money orders make it easy to make payments up to $US1000 to payees in the USA. The cost is a fixed fee of just $8.65 (GST inclusive), irrespective of value.

Western Union international money orders must be paid into a bank account and will be subject to clearance just like a cheque.

The payee must have a local bank account in the destination country, so this product is generally unsuited to making payments to people travelling overseas.

In the USA, clearance of the funds takes approximately one week.

If a bank in another country chooses to accept these $US items, extended clearance times will apply.

These money orders cannot be cashed at post offices either in Australia or overseas.

I do mine through the WU Int'l Money transfer system....She can have the dough in minutes and it is secure....The recipient will need the money transfer control number to receive the dough

How do I use Western Union Money Transfer® at Australia Post?

To send money

1. Simply go to your local participating Australia Post outlet location * and fill out the form, "To Send Money".

2. Present your completed form and the money to the agent. Depending on the amount you send, you may need to present photo identification. Be sure to get a receipt with the Western Union Money Transfer Control Number.

3. Inform the receiver of the transfer and the amount of money that you sent. Within minutes (subject to operating hours of agent locations and compliance requirements), the money you sent will be available for payout to your intended recipient at any Western Union agent location worldwide.

Edited by gburns57au

A quick Google check shows OZ post office sell Western Union transfers at $8.65 per transaction up to $1,000 and only in US Dollars (which are then converted to local currency).  They say payment must be made into a bank account (rather than normal WU payment in cash).  They do not seem to offer international money order service.

Sorry mate....I do WU every month from Oz and the fee is $35.....can be sent as Aus dollar or Thai baht.....and can be sent via the Thai post office....she will need the senders address, Her ID and the transaction number in order to collect. I usually send her an SMS with the number and the amount sent as soon as I have sent it so she can collect right away.

A search on the WU site will give a list of post offices in Thailand that will accept the transaction.

I also send money from Thailand to England every month, but the fees depend on what I send, as it works on a commision percentage.

You can also have a "special question" that both the sender and receiver know the answer to - good for security.

They are designed for US payment but page also has this which would seem to indicate they can be used most places:

They are issued in US dollars only, but can also be accepted as foreign currency deposit instruments outside the USA, at the discretion of the recipient’s bank