Grenade Attack At Former Thai PM's Home Wounds Woman: Police

webfact

Grenade attack at former Thai PM's home wounds woman: police

BANGKOK (AFP) -- A grenade attack at the Bangkok home of a former Thai prime minister wounded a woman late on Sunday, the latest in a series of explosions during mass anti-government protests, police said.

The blast occurred shortly before 10:30 pm (0330 GMT) by the house of Banharn Silpa-archa. The woman, who was walking along the street nearby, suffered minor injuries, police said.

Banharn, who was premier from mid-1995 to late-1996, is now chief adviser to Chart Thai Pattana, one of the parties in the government coalition led by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

Street demonstrations under way for more than a fortnight to demand snap elections have passed off peacefully but the capital has been hit by a string of blasts at government and army buildings.

A dozen people were injured over the weekend when grenades were lobbed at the gate of the barracks where Abhisit has been living and working since the protests began.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-03-29

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

The woman only suffered only minor injuries? Are these the same ones used in wars?

In the movies they make grenades look as if they have devastating explosion.

From previous photos of damages caused by them,seem comparable to large sized firecracker, like a M100.

Edited by tangcoral

I hope she's OK. I hope they find whose responsible for these attacks.

I don't mean to nit pick but when did this take place? 10.30pm is 15.30 GMT 03.30 GMT would be 10.30am Thai time, stupid time of day to do it hopefully there was a witness.

Edited by Stjohnm

The woman only suffered only minor injuries? Are these the same ones used in wars?

From previous photos of damages caused by them,seem comparable to large sized firecracker, like a M100.

The "baseball grenade" in common use has a kill radius of about 5 m and a casualty radius of 15 m. Very unlikely that one was used in the reported blast. News reporters are not known for accuracy, particularly around here.

I don't mean to nit pick but when did this take place? 10.30pm is 15.30 GMT 03.30 GMT would be 10.30am Thai time, stupid time of day to do it hopefully there was a witness.

They are regular employee and they work office hours.

Obviously they Red Shirt are not Brain surging. Whatever they have done so far is due to desperation and stupidity

I was wondering when they would turn on the coalition partners and their families.

This seems to be moving into the realm of civil war

because civilians and their families are now being targeted.

This is not how a democracy movement works,

it IS how a despot trying to regain power works...

Think on that point.

They are regular employee and they work office hours.

Obviously they Red Shirt are not Brain surging. Whatever they have done so far is due to desperation and stupidity

How are so sure the perpetrator would be a red shirted individual?

The movies are not known for their accuracy.

[Hand]grenades have limited range and does not create huge explosions with fire, mostly a large crack with smoke and very small shards of metal flying over a medium distance.

I hope that this poor lady makes a speedy recovery to full health & happiness, and that she is not left with lasting post-trauma damage.

I hope that the people responsible for this barbaric & disgusting crime, feel truly ashamed & recieve justice in this world or the next.

I hope that this is the last pointless attack on innocent Thai bystanders who just want to live a normal life.

No more tears left to cry, & gave away my red denim dress yesterday, I feel ashamed to wear any clothes of this colour in future. It will always be a mark of stupidity & violence.It was bad enough when it was associated with Ch.Mao.

I was wondering when they would turn on the coalition partners and their families.

Think on that point.

You make an awful lot of assumptions based on no information. I can't really add anything else because I have the same information you have. My suspision is that you are trying to add spin and/or are rumour mongering, because that what you call it when fantasising without information or facts.

I think the only sensible thing worth nothing is that I seriously hope the perpetrators are caught and go to jail for a very long time.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Well the reds start spilling blood, but this time other people's not their own! Shame on them the dirty buggers.

You have no idea who is behind these explosions, or else you know more than anyone else in which case you should be at a police station providing information. "Shame on the perpetrators" however is something I can go along with wholeheartedly.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Ok fair enough, but really after all red leaders promised to bring chaos and burn bangkok tot he ground, it is fairly easy to make an assumptiont hat it is them. I didn't hear the government saying they were going to be violent, only thte reds!

Well the reds start spilling blood, but this time other people's not their own! Shame on them the dirty buggers.

You have no idea who is behind these explosions, or else you know more than anyone else in which case you should be at a police station providing information. "Shame on the perpetrators" however is something I can go along with wholeheartedly.

WTK is basically correct. There is no information about who has done these acts.

The only people that have been caught (Silom Rd BKK Bank) were red supporters.

Given how little the government has talked about the explosions, I don't see what they would get out of it.

On the other hand, the reds need a violent response from the army to get sympathy from the masses. So it's more likely that they have been done by a violent faction of the red supporters.

And ofcourse, it could be a third party trying to make the reds look bad, in which case they have failed to make much of an effect either.

Whoever is doing it, it doesn't seem to be impacting the government, the army, or the red protestors. So hopefully they will get bored of doing it.

Think on that point.

it is simply that. they can't outsmart the current prime minister with mere "talks" (thats what he does best!) resorting to violence is a last resort, and that is what they have resorted too.

just look at how thaksin is taking more of his money out: thats an indicator things are heating up. also an indicator thats prolly where more financial support is coming from.

this latest incident means that grenades are falling roundabout ekkamai and means any place may be fair game.

Looks like violence is the only way the despot knows how to regain power..every other means failed.

which former priminister. Taksin or the other 2 ?

I hope that this poor lady makes a speedy recovery to full health & happiness, and that she is not left with lasting post-trauma damage.

I hope that the people responsible for this barbaric & disgusting crime, feel truly ashamed & recieve justice in this world or the next.

I hope that this is the last pointless attack on innocent Thai bystanders who just want to live a normal life.

No more tears left to cry, & gave away my red denim dress yesterday, I feel ashamed to wear any clothes of this colour in future. It will always be a mark of stupidity & violence.It was bad enough when it was associated with Ch.Mao.

You could always Thai dye that dress. :)

I also didn't hear the government or police even accusing the reds of this. They probably realize it's a pretty messy/murky situation. Reds by the way also really want to find out who is behind this, so I think everyone is on the same page on this one.

Does that include Sae Daeng and his gun toting, grenade lobbing, knife wielding, khaki-dressing mates, whom I believe are ever-so-slightly Red in their affections? No, there's no way Redshirted sympathisers would stoop to this kind of action is there, especially given their affection for the coalition partners and Bangkok Bank, which ever-so-coincidentally got strafed by gunfire just down the street after this grenade attack. Probably a Yellow posing as a Red, pretending to be a soldier, dressed in civvies. :)

I also didn't hear the government or police even accusing the reds of this. They probably realize it's a pretty messy/murky situation. Reds by the way also really want to find out who is behind this, so I think everyone is on the same page on this one.

Does that include Sae Daeng and his gun toting, grenade lobbing, knife wielding, khaki-dressing mates, whom I believe are ever-so-slightly Red in their affections? No, there's no way Redshirted sympathisers would stoop to this kind of action is there, especially given their affection for the coalition partners and Bangkok Bank, which ever-so-coincidentally got strafed by gunfire just down the street after this grenade attack. Probably a Yellow posing as a Red, pretending to be a soldier, dressed in civvies. :)

IMHO, Sae Daeng bears much responsibility for the airport closure by the yellows. Sae Daeng's grenade-throwing dances, that he boasted about, as he and his mates repeatedly lobbed grenades, at night, into the peaceful yellow-shirt protest encampment, made them flee in fear of their lives. For better or worse, they fled to the airports.

Sae Daeng & mates were recently busted for weapons possession... but they're still free men. This guy has connections.

Whoever they are, this lunatic fringe, traditionally tolerated by the Thais, is on the loose in Bangkok, and they are armed and dangerous. With the orgy of unsolved killings of innocents that has been rampant in Muslim Thailand since the Thaksin era, as an example to be copied, I fear for my beloved Bangkok.

which former priminister. Taksin or the other 2 ?

article ...

The blast occurred shortly before 10:30 pm (0330 GMT) by the house of Banharn Silpa-archa.

Only two.. ya think?

Forgetting Prime Ministers and (acting PMs);

Chuan, Chavalit, Prem, Thanin Kraivichien, Anand Panyarachun, Suchinda Kraprayoon,

Meechai Ruchuphan, Chuan Leekpai, Chitchai Wannasathit, Surayud Chulanont,

Somchai Wongsawat, Chaovarat Chanweerakul...

All of whom seem to be alive as of today...

IMHO, Sae Daeng bears much responsibility for the airport closure by the yellows. Sae Daeng's grenade-throwing dances, that he boasted about, as he and his mates repeatedly lobbed grenades, at night, into the peaceful yellow-shirt protest encampment, made them flee in fear of their lives. For better or worse, they fled to the airports.

Sae Daeng & mates were recently busted for weapons possession... but they're still free men. This guy has connections.

Whoever they are, this lunatic fringe, traditionally tolerated by the Thais, is on the loose in Bangkok, and they are armed and dangerous. With the orgy of unsolved killings of innocents that has been rampant in Muslim Thailand since the Thaksin era, as an example to be copied, I fear for my beloved Bangkok.

Yes, exactly.

There is a more than most logical direction to look for the actors in this drama.

4357146756d186a36f9e.jpg

4357092644baca23231e.jpg

43571770349360e0d71b.jpg

As you didn't actually say anything, which funnilly enough mirrors your Red brothers @100%, I enclose your actual words above.

You do not mention the innocent bomb-victim lady, or the step backwards from civilisation that accompanies these sordid street bombings. You do not mention the invisible damage to society ; fear, mistrust, division. You do not mention a noble & ancient land being savagely damaged by a mentally unstable billionaire who is a convicted arch criminal, or his gang of red shirt leaders who have said 'burn the city', 'take up arms now'. etc.etc.

You just show some photos of people wearing red in another setting. Fair enough. What impressive repartie you possess. It is good to see the cut-and-thrust of educated sociological & humanist discussion has not gone straight over you head.

My point, re; my clothes is irrelevant. It was an expression of my personal feelings. In fact, since you raised it, I always preferred blues & greens anyway. Red is a very strident colour,never my favourite because I prefer subtle shades. But now, when I see this colour, I think of my best friend in Bangkok who is a low paid secretary in a office, had serious abuse in her childhood & was already nervous about the world but trying to be a hard working member of society, and she is frightened to go outside now after work, because of your thaksinite grenade-throwing thug friends.