Counter Withdrawal Refused

Went into my local Bangkok Bank this afternoon for some regular business, and decided I'd try a withdrawal from my Cirrus card right there at the counter, to avoid the 150 baht fee.

I was told to go downstairs and use the ATM. I know that would charge me, so decided I'd leave it until sometime later when I can get to an AEON machine.

Sure would have made things easier, as I've got quite a journey to get to the AEON machines - nothing local.

You are lucky if you can get an ATM card to work, just tried my newish nationwide card and get the old operation cancelled message, so I am stuffed. Worked last time in the same machine. Had this many times last year and seems nobody can come up with an explanation. Tried a few Banks to transfer over the counter but none will do it-go and use ATM! what a fvking country!

You are lucky if you can get an ATM card to work, just tried my newish nationwide card and get the old operation cancelled message, so I am stuffed. Worked last time in the same machine. Had this many times last year and seems nobody can come up with an explanation. Tried a few Banks to transfer over the counter but none will do it-go and use ATM! what a fvking country!

Pack up and piss off then! :)

Yeah that will really improve Bank services here won't it Mr unoriginal quote

Are you saying that you will travel a long way to save 150 Bt?

No, I won't make a special trip. But probably sometime next week I'll be in the neighbourhood, so I'll hold off until then.

Of course, if I do get close to running short, I'll spend the 150 baht. But if there's an opportunity to save it, .....

Just how long have you been in this country? :D

Is there a qualifing period in country before you can make a comment on TF?

Some exchange booths do display a notice advising that they do credit card transactions. Once I was asked to use the ATM and just said I was a stupid old farang and could not remember the pin number. He then processed the transaction, no problem.

"Use the bank of Ayuddah,the yellow one ,no charge ,never a problem taking money out over the counter."

Can confirm - never had a problem with Ayuddah but usually have problems at most others. Despite calls back to Nationwide in the UK and the usual response- "yes sir, everything ok, why don't you wait one hour and try again" :)

However, Government Savings Bank did not charge a fee as of 2 weeks ago in Rangsit.

I've yet to try the counter withdrawal method yet - seems that TV users have had mixed results.

btw - mallyrd, why don't you grow up?

What a miserable turd. Hey Jusme, that's the reason I never ask advice on TV anymore, it's full miserable sods and failed comedians.

By the way, I use Bank of Ayuthaya, yellow machine, no charge and never any problems.

Follow up to my last post. I really think you mods could do more to make this a better site. Can't you ban these awkward so'n so's? I wonder how many there are, like me, who no longer ask for information on here, because regardless of the subject matter, you just seem to end up with a load of stupid comments. This could be a really helpful site, but because of certain clowns (who always seem to be hovering) it's next to useless.

the Op said he wanted to use his "Cirrus" card over the counter at Bangkok bank. CIRRUS is part of the international banking network for ATM's / consumer purchasing - it does not automatically qualify your card for over the counter withdrawals at all banks... Only credit cards or debit cards with Visa or Mastercard affiliation (has alogo) qualify for over the counter withdrawals either inside the bank or at an exchange booth in the majority of banks worldwide...

Hey Jusme, that's the reason I never ask advice on TV anymore, it's full miserable sods and failed comedians.

By the way, I use Bank of Ayuthaya, yellow machine, no charge and never any problems.

No worries, mate. I'm accustomed to skipping drivel and simply ignore it. Doubt if I'd even respond to a flame. Pissing on my computer might be bad for its health :)

the Op said he wanted to use his "Cirrus" card over the counter at Bangkok bank. CIRRUS is part of the international banking network for ATM's / consumer purchasing - it does not automatically qualify your card for over the counter withdrawals at all banks... Only credit cards or debit cards with Visa or Mastercard affiliation (has alogo) qualify for over the counter withdrawals either inside the bank or at an exchange booth in the majority of banks worldwide...

Yes, it's my bank card from back home. I can use it directly at most of the ATMs here in Thailand. Just wanted to avoid that extra fee.

Cirrus is, I think, part of or parent of or at least affiliated with MasterCard. It just doesn't have the MasterCard logo on it. And I can't use it as a credit card, only as a bank or debit card. (not sure if I can debit here - rather doubt it) Obviously not going to use my MasterCard to get a cash advance, which costs loads in interest and extra fees, and chasing the payment on it - particularly when I do have cash in my home bank account.

I might see where the local Bank of Ayuddya is and try a counter withdrawal in cash there. Then pop around to my own Bangkok Bank and deposit that cash. Sounds kinda silly, but if it works ....

I was amazed at Bangkok Bank in Bumrungrad Hospital recently. Not only did I have to pay to take 300,000 baht cash out......which I had to travel across town for........I had to pay to put the unspent portion allocated in case they had to open me up again next day, 100,000 baht, back in some days later!!!!!

Jeez......

Hey Jusme, that's the reason I never ask advice on TV anymore, it's full miserable sods and failed comedians.

No worries, mate. I'm accustomed to skipping drivel and simply ignore it. Doubt if I'd even respond to a flame. Pissing on my computer might be bad for its health :)

Yes, it's my bank card from back home. I can use it directly at most of the ATMs here in Thailand. Just wanted to avoid that extra fee.

Cirrus is, I think, part of or parent of or at least affiliated with MasterCard. It just doesn't have the MasterCard logo on it. And I can't use it as a credit card, only as a bank or debit card. (not sure if I can debit here - rather doubt it) Obviously not going to use my MasterCard to get a cash advance, which costs loads in interest and extra fees, and chasing the payment on it - particularly when I do have cash in my home bank account.

I might see where the local Bank of Ayuddya is and try a counter withdrawal in cash there. Then pop around to my own Bangkok Bank and deposit that cash. Sounds kinda silly, but if it works ....

Sorry, but i am sure you will find NO ONE will allow over the counter withdrawals in Thailand without the card carrying the Visa or Mastercard logo..

As I said CIRRUS is affiliation witht the ELECTRONIC system for ATMS and consumer purchaes - it is not available for use fro cash withdrawals over the counter..

Mind you this being Thailand, one never knows,, if you have any luck let us know.

Sorry, but i am sure you will find NO ONE will allow over the counter withdrawals in Thailand without the card carrying the Visa or Mastercard logo..

As I said CIRRUS is affiliation witht the ELECTRONIC system for ATMS and consumer purchaes - it is not available for use fro cash withdrawals over the counter..

Mind you this being Thailand, one never knows,, if you have any luck let us know.

Haven't tried over the counter withdrawal, and unlikely to get to it, either.

I did check and the closest Bank of Ayuddya is no nearer than the AEON atm!

And unlikely I can try any other over the counter bank withdrawal.

So, I'll either wait until I'm conveniently close to that atm, or getting short will bite the bullet and let Bangkok Bank charge me that 150 baht fee. At least I'll take out a good load of cash to deposit in my account here, so I won't be hit too many times with it.

Sounds like this MAY be a Bangkok Bank policy

I have never been refused by Siam Commercial Bank for an " over the counter transaction " so long as I had my Passport with me for them to copy

I use the over the counter transactions method primarily since no ATM in Thailand will dispense more than 20, 000 THB per transaction and the over the counter method gives me up to my US Banks maximum $1,000 dollar daily limit

I have never been refused by Siam Commercial Bank for an " over the counter transaction " so long as I had my Passport with me for them to copy

I use the over the counter transactions method primarily since no ATM in Thailand will dispense more than 20, 000 THB per transaction and the over the counter method gives me up to my US Banks maximum $1,000 dollar daily limit

yes, but does your card have a Visa or Mastercard logo ??

The OP is trying to use a CIRRUS card over the coiunter, which to best of my knowledge, cant be done, only cards with Visa or Mastercard logo's.

if youve had differnet experience let us know, cheers

yes, but does your card have a Visa or Mastercard logo ??

The OP is trying to use a CIRRUS card over the coiunter, which to best of my knowledge, cant be done, only cards with Visa or Mastercard logo's.

if youve had differnet experience let us know, cheers

Must be that missing logo. I dropped into several banks this afternoon, and none of them would do an over the counter withdrawal for me with that card.

And, of course, my own bank, Bangkok, tells me to use the ATM. Maximum withdrawal there was 25k baht, and I wanted 30k, particularly as that extra fee gets tacked onto every transaction.

So, looks like I'm stuck with choices: wait until I get to the AEON ATM (that did give me 30k a couple of months ago); take just the 25k and pony up the fee, and do this over again. Will just have to wait and see how close I get to the empty line in my BKK Bank account. :)

Not true.

Bangkok Bank ATM's routinely issue 25 notes which would be 25k and I believe AEON machines issue up to 40 notes which would be 40k or about $1,200.

However, if you routinely need large sums of cash, why not just avoid all this hassle and get a Thai bank account ?

Not true.

Bangkok Bank ATM's routinely issue 25 notes which would be 25k and I believe AEON machines issue up to 40 notes which would be 40k or about $1,200.

However, if you routinely need large sums of cash, why not just avoid all this hassle and get a Thai bank account ?

And a Thai bank account somehow generates money for you? It's got to come from somewhere first, and is then deposited into the Thai bank account. It's already been established that the Thai bank account exists - the problem is getting overseas money to deposit into it.

ack up and piss off then! :)

What a miserable turd. Hey Jusme, that's the reason I never ask advice on TV anymore, it's full miserable sods and failed comedians.

I personally joined the TV forum for useful info but now toatally with you on your remark/observation

I hope I give sound advice to posters who ask questions, based on my experience, but on the flip-side, I would never ask for advice now which required a serious answer, particularly on this forum. It is such a shame really, because there are so many decent people that use the forum, but as always it is one bad apple that spoils the cart. I mainly just read posts, as can be witnessed from my posts in over 1 year of membership. The site could be so much more informative, but I guess the Mods can't control all negative answers...unfortunately.

There are a lot of bitter n' twisted people out there, just ignore them and enjoy YOUR life to the full, I do...

Must be that missing logo. I dropped into several banks this afternoon, and none of them would do an over the counter withdrawal for me with that card.

Without the logo, what you have is a straight ATM card. With a logo, you'd have a Debit/ATM card, which in addition to ATM withdrawals allows Point of Sale (POS) transactions in a signature-only (no pin required) mode.

Apparently the banks you've approached treat their over-the-counter transactions as signature mode, thus requiring a Debit/ATM card. Probably their swipe machines at the counter won't accept a pin......just as merchants in Thailand don't have the pin option with Debit cards (in the States, you can go either pin mode or, by selecting "credit," signature mode).

:)

Maybe this is not the same thing but I have a joint account with my Thai wife in Bangkok Bank.

She usually has the account ATM card, and uses it in the Bangkok Bank ATM machines. She usually takes out less than 10,000 Baht at a time, mainly for food/house expenses.

Most of the time I do the larger withdrawals over the counter at the local Bangkok Bank branch if a larger sum is required.

On the one occasion I did try to make an over the counter withdrawal with the ATM card, I was told the same; No do it outside in the ATM machine. If I had the BANK BOOK on me I could have done by the over the counter (and sign the slip) withdrawal proceedure.

Not sure if that is a Bangkok Bank policy or not...but they enforced it with me.

:D

And a Thai bank account somehow generates money for you? It's got to come from somewhere first, and is then deposited into the Thai bank account. It's already been established that the Thai bank account exists - the problem is getting overseas money to deposit into it.

Try this http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/...et_Banking.aspx

If your US bank can do regular ACH transfers to an external account, then getting it to your Bangkok Bank account is a snap. Then you can quit frantically searching for a counter transaction/AEON/GSB location.

Let us know how it works for you. (Sorry if you're not banking with a US bank. Maybe the link will help someone, so I'll leave it up.)

Sateev

If your US bank can do regular ACH transfers to an external account, then getting it to your Bangkok Bank account is a snap. Then you can quit frantically searching for a counter transaction/AEON/GSB location.

Let us know how it works for you. (Sorry if you're not banking with a US bank. Maybe the link will help someone, so I'll leave it up.)

Sateev

That does look interesting, and if I had a US bank I'd look into it much more carefully. Unfortunately, mine is a small Canadian bank, and other than ATMs, my other way of transferring is using SWIFT, (don't know what an ACH transfer is) but that has a fee of $45 so not particularly useful for smaller amounts of cash. Or even larger amounts, unless you get up really big. Now, if only I had that kind of cash to send! :)

Thanks for that info, Sateev. I think those with a US account should investigate further as it seems a very good way of transferring from a US bank into one's own Thai bank account.

Hi...had the same problem with an HSBC card...worked OK before but then refused. To cut a long story short the security levels have been incraesed and the refusal is anti-fraud and computerised. If you let your card issuer know that you plan to use your card oversaes they will 'adjust' the security setting. Annoying I know, but needs to be done.

Sateev

That does look interesting, and if I had a US bank I'd look into it much more carefully. Unfortunately, mine is a small Canadian bank, and other than ATMs, my other way of transferring is using SWIFT, (don't know what an ACH transfer is) but that has a fee of $45 so not particularly useful for smaller amounts of cash. Or even larger amounts, unless you get up really big. Now, if only I had that kind of cash to send! :)

Thanks for that info, Sateev. I think those with a US account should investigate further as it seems a very good way of transferring from a US bank into one's own Thai bank account.

Typically banks are charging 1-2% on your ATM cash withdrawals in foreign exchange mark up - this should be disclosed by your Canadian bank - if they were charging that much, it only takes a few (2-4) of your 40,000k withdrawals to break even on the SWIFT fee of 45$. Generally SWIFT is the best available pricing, so if you're here for a while its better to consolidate into a larger single transaction.

Regarding the Cirrus mark - I agree, this is an ATM only brandmark. VISA's equivalent is PLUS. MAESTRO is for debit shopping in the mastercard world; VISA uses the same VISA logo or sometimes ELECTRON OR INTERLINK.