Broken Toyota Mirror

soil

I rented a Toyota Camry on Phuket, unfortunately there was a nice bit of Thai parking, a truck parked at right angles to the traffic in the middle of a busy road, and nobody was letting me pull out to get round it.

Anyway, I got too close and the huge towbar type thing on the back of the truck whacked my left wing mirror in, causing the glass to fall out and also leaving a trivial scratch on the paint.

How much should I pay? The car is minus one left wing mirror (glass only).

Cheapest option:

1, Replace the mirror glass at a Toyota Main Dealer.

2, Buy some T-Cut/scratch remover ( can be purchased at Big C, Tesco etc) and polish the scratch out.

No need to tell the hire car company anything!

Edited by pitbull

A copy glass only for my vigo cost me 200THB at a motor spares shop, T-cut around 100THB for a Thai product

300THB and some elbow grease

Lucky you! On my 11 year old Suzuki Vitara, the glass and the piece of black plastic behind it (not the outer plastic shell) cost me 2,500b at the dealership last year.......!!

OUCH!

A copy glass only for my vigo cost me 200THB at a motor spares shop, T-cut around 100THB for a Thai product

T-cut is bad quality, the carrent company can see, if they check carefully. Then they will blame you (usualy) for the full deposit (usually 5 or 10 grand). Get a real glass, it doesn't cost so much, it's not the fine way to cheating the carrent company just for a couple 100 Baht.

Lucky you! On my 11 year old Suzuki Vitara, the glass and the piece of black plastic behind it (not the outer plastic shell) cost me 2,500b at the dealership last year.......!!

OUCH!

Parts getting more expensive now, For a year 2000 Soluna we payd a 150 Baht for the whole mirroir (not wirth to discust with customer or with insurance). For a new Vios it cost 3'000 Baht for the whole mirroir., and the class cost already 1'200 Baht.

T-cut is bad quality, the carrent company can see, if they check carefully. Then they will blame you (usualy) for the full deposit (usually 5 or 10 grand). Get a real glass, it doesn't cost so much, it's not the fine way to cheating the carrent company just for a couple 100 Baht.

Op states the scratch left is trivial so T-Cut will be absolutely fine. A small amount and a light rub then a polish no one will notice.

Probably no need at all to use a decent rubbing compound.

Not sure what you should do but it reminds me of something that happened a few years ago. I parked my old Tiger in a park while I took my dogs for a walk. Anyway, on returning both glass mirrors were missing! Nobody around so I was a bit perplexed. On looking around there was a troop of monkeys up in the trees on the hill and they had taken them! One cheeky bu@*er looked like it was trying to reflect the sun into my eyes too!

:)

• 3 weeks later...
just take the car back and go home!

That's what I did. They said 3000 THB, but when I got the airport they said 2000THB.

I said 'why so much', and they said it wasn't just the glass but the insert that makes it plug into the mirror.

Whatever.

just take the car back and go home!

That's what I did. They said 3000 THB, but when I got the airport they said 2000THB.

I said 'why so much', and they said it wasn't just the glass but the insert that makes it plug into the mirror.

Whatever.

Don't know what kind of rental company it is. But usually every rental car company takes deposit money, so they will not give you back the deposit or they wil give you back how much they want. I think a Camryglas cost more than a Vios Glas, the Vios Glas (new Vios) cost 1'200 Baht) Edited by stingray

T-cut is bad quality, the carrent company can see, if they check carefully.

What do you mean by bad quality? It's the best at what it does, which is to remove the top, weathered coat of paint including light scratches and bring it back to it's original look. If you do use T-cut, the entire car should be done as you'll notice where it's been used if on one spot.

Not sure what you should do but it reminds me of something that happened a few years ago. I parked my old Tiger in a park while I took my dogs for a walk. Anyway, on returning both glass mirrors were missing! Nobody around so I was a bit perplexed. On looking around there was a troop of monkeys up in the trees on the hill and they had taken them! One cheeky bu@*er looked like it was trying to reflect the sun into my eyes too!

:D

:) Brilliant!

What do you mean by bad quality? It's the best at what it does, which is to remove the top, weathered coat of paint including light scratches and bring it back to it's original look. If you do use T-cut, the entire car should be done as you'll notice where it's been used if on one spot.

No this was my missunderstanding (not native english speaking). I tought you mean go "cutting" a new mirroir in a glasshop. They use to do this sometimes. "T cut" you mean polishing, is ok.

No this was my missunderstanding (not native english speaking). I tought you mean go "cutting" a new mirroir in a glasshop. They use to do this sometimes. "T cut" you mean polishing, is ok.

Aha :D

It cost me 200 Baht at the Ford dealer for the glass and installation on my Ranger.
Older car cheaper than new one. For a old Toyota Soluna, year 2000, you can get the whole mirror (glas and housing) for 150 Baht (Chinese aftermakret parts). For a 09' New Vios only the glass cost 1200 Baht. The whole morroir cost 3500 Baht for the cheapesat one (not the electric one). Prices all over changing and increasing now and sometime you can't find chinese aftermaked parts for newer cars.