Burden From Thai Seniors Will Get Greater

webfact

Burden from seniors will get greater, study shows

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand is likely to have 12 million senior citizens by 2020 - a number that could overwhelm the welfare system and pension payments, according to a study by the Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI).

The workforce would be smaller a decade on with fiscal revenue "shrinking" while the government would face a greater burden paying more welfare and pensions, Sarawuth Phaithoonphong said.

The number of retirees was tipped to reach 17 million by 2030, seven million of who would be elderly labourers, the researcher said.

There are now 7.71 million seniors or retirees in Thailand, 3.17 million of whom are elderly workers.

Co-researcher Asst Prof Nongnuch Sunthornchawakarn said the number of elderly workers was high because these people lacked education or had a low educational background.

Nongnuch, a lecturer at Thammasat University, said a third of senior citizens now still need to work after turning 60. The number of those wanting to work would rise by 5.4 per cent over the next 10 years, but demand by employers was likely to rise by less than half that - 2.5 per cent.

Nongnuch urged the government to increase job opportunities for elderly workers and seniors in areas suitable to them, such as jobs that required special skills or minimal supervision.

Other conditions should also be implemented such as shorter hours for seniors and tax incentives for employers who hire them.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-06

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

The Revenge of The Reds.....................

As the elderly elites age they will come to rely more and more upon their caregivers that have historically come from the North.

Will these northerners leave the shrivelled elites to sit in their feces? So many scenarios. The lesson is that one should be kind to all as we never know when we may need the kindness returned.

As the elderly elites age they will come to rely more and more upon their caregivers that have historically come from the North.

Will these northerners leave the shrivelled elites to sit in their feces? So many scenarios. The lesson is that one should be kind to all as we never know when we may need the kindness returned.

yes it is an issue for the Elderly elite only, the issaners at 70 or more have to grow their rice, are fishing or are making baskets with bamboos...No pension funds, only solidarity between family members.

Edited by Jerrytheyoung

yes it is an issue for the Elderly elite only, the issaners at 70 or more have to grow their rice, are fishing or are making baskets with bamboos...No pension funds, only solidarity between family members.

They should have stated: The last thing Thailand needs is an increase in its population.

The underlying and unstated assumption is that population reduction is a bad thing because it results in a geriatric population.

Yes, it tends to do that..........but that is a temporary challenge that goes away naturally.

The benefits of a smaller population are significant.

The ruling elite, of course, want a larger young population in order to create a global slave labor class......they also need "blind" consumers to keep the corrupt system going........but that is a different story.

Is that your experience? My experience from my wife's village, mostly farmers, is that the retirement age is between 45 and 50 due to the physically demanding nature of farm work.

After this age they may do the occasional odd job in the village. If they have enough smarts and money they may open a village shop, or set up a small business to make baskets or charcoal. But mostly they sit around all day, walk the cows, pick some herbs for dinner, with the menfolk occasionally catching fish or frogs.

The money they live on after about 50 primarily comes from their children or grandchildren. After 60 they get a 500 bt monthly stipend from the government and this is supplemented by their children or grandchildren.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Is that your experience? My experience from my wife's village, mostly farmers, is that the retirement age is between 45 and 50 due to the physically demanding nature of farm work.

After this age they may do the occasional odd job in the village. If they have enough smarts and money they may open a village shop, or set up a small business to make baskets or charcoal. But mostly they sit around all day, walk the cows, pick some herbs for dinner, with the menfolk occasionally catching fish or frogs.

The money they live on after about 50 primarily comes from their children or grandchildren. After 60 they get a 500 bt monthly stipend from the government and this is supplemented by their children or grandchildren.

yes it s what I witness in Northern Issan, the village is empty and everybody is working in the fields, men and women, at very advanced age. (Father in law and wife as well as their friends....)

Edited by Jerrytheyoung

yes it s what I witness in Northern Issan, the village is empty and everybody is working in the fields, men and women, at very advanced age. (Father in law and wife as well as their friends....)

But what do they do in the other 6-8 months of the year? Rice farming is not steady work. At least half of the year there is nothing to do with their crops. Perhaps conditions are different in Southern Isaan. My wife's village is in Surin.

Please note, I am not making judgments or saying they are lazy. I am simply stating that there is very little for them to do once they have reached the age of about 50 as their bodies are bent and broken from farming. At 50 they look like they are 70. Also, before the age of 50 there is very little to do for much of the year if they are a farming family.

The young men will usually go off to do itinerant construction work, mostly in Bangkok or the surrounding areas. If they are lucky they might find something a little closer to home.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

But what do they do in the other 6-8 months of the year? Rice farming is not steady work. At least half of the year there is nothing to do with their crops. Perhaps conditions are different in Southern Isaan. My wife's village is in Surin.

Please note, I am not making judgments or saying they are lazy. I am simply stating that there is very little for them to do once they have reached the age of about 50 as their bodies are bent and broken from farming. At 50 they look like they are 70. Also, before the age of 50 there is very little to do for much of the year if they are a farming family.

The young men will usually go off to do itinerant construction work, mostly in Bangkok or the surrounding areas. If they are lucky they might find something a little closer to home.

Yes it is the conditions in the northern Issan (Nakhon Phanom and North of Nakhon Phanom). Except a small band along the Mekong, the soil is of poor quality. My In Law family lives at 15km from Mekong: the one yearly crop of rice is of poor quality, the drought is severe, the soil can feed only few cows: so not everybody has cows and buffalos. When not farming the rice, they are fishing (hunting except few snakes nothing left), making basket. My father in law spend its time fishing in a small lake (in average 2 or 3 small fish per day). The village is empty except week end.

Young men try to find a job elsewhere (Bangkok)... This is the situation

Which welfare system. The attempt to bring Thailand in the league of civilized countries was foiled by the army. Next they will propose to simply let them die because it is more convenient for the rich. The problem is easily solved by levying a higher tax. A higher tax on people with high salaries like me and other. Taxes for high income people are way too low.

Yes it is the conditions in the northern Issan (Nakhon Phanom and North of Nakhon Phanom). Except a small band along the Mekong, the soil is of poor quality. My In Law family lives at 15km from Mekong: the one yearly crop of rice is of poor quality, the drought is severe, the soil can feed only few cows: so not everybody has cows and buffalos. When not farming the rice, they are fishing (hunting except few snakes nothing left), making basket. My father in law spend its time fishing in a small lake (in average 2 or 3 small fish per day). The village is empty except week end.

I live in a village in Issaan. The wife's family are spread out around neighbouring villages and some have moved to another province in the region. Whichever village I have visited, the one thing that strikes me is that (with some notable exceptions) every one works. Not all are farmers. Some buy glass, aluminium and cardboard to sell fo re-cycling, others make sweets and sell them door to door in the village, others still sell any surplus produce they may have in the local markets. Irrespective of their age, everybody has at least one business to do if times are slow on the farm. The only people round here who do not work are those who are either physically or mentally incapable of doing any work.

Many young people from this village seek work in industrial towns when there is nothing for them to do on the farm; some work abroad.

The notable exceptions are those young women who have been fortunate enough to be "sponsored" by a farrang - usually by two or more farrangs.

The state does not take care of the elderly now and it is not going to do so in the foreseeable future. The burden will continue to rest with the family.

I know that none of these up and coming old folk chose to be born into a 5th world country but why is this making news.

I mean they don't pay 'sfa' tax in their lives, so how can they expect benefits from the govt.

And just thing where would many of these old codgers be if they hadn't got their daughters (and a good few of their sons) fitted up with western men.

Every bad negative thing that Thai's experience has been caused by Thai's.

These 'chok wows' currently demolishing the very structure of the realm who are they helping (who do they think they are helping) but a convicted criminal.

I see you again after my holiday :)

And after we all go down the road crying about the old Thai's not getting a benefit why doesn't give some thought to the fact that we practically wiped Japan and Germany off the may. Do you hear them bleating. ??

Both the aforementioned countries are populated by doers and not a bunch of whining people who think that have been dealt a bad hand.

Even Vietnam is way ahead of the realm despite all the napalm etc.

Thailand has had more than 700 years (they are so proud of telling us) never been colonised. That was / is no thanks to them.

They would all been speaking Japanese now if it hadn't the allies come to their aid and still doing so with double pricing etc. OK Thailand had a bit of an underground but if it hadn't been for the yanks, the limeys, the dutch, the Ozies and the Kiwis. there would not even be a country called Thailand.

Edited by krakatoa

Thank you so much could not agree more.

Finally someone here that has more then air between their ears.

Thank you so much who ever you are.

I know that none of these up and coming old folk chose to be born into a 5th world country but why is this making news.

I mean they don't pay 'sfa' tax in their lives, so how can they expect benefits from the govt.

And just thing where would many of these old codgers be if they hadn't got their daughters (and a good few of their sons) fitted up with western men.

Every bad negative thing that Thai's experience has been caused by Thai's.

These 'chok wows' currently demolishing the very structure of the realm who are they helping (who do they think they are helping) but a convicted criminal.

I see you again after my holiday :)

And after we all go down the road crying about the old Thai's not getting a benefit why doesn't give some thought to the fact that we practically wiped Japan and Germany off the may. Do you hear them bleating. ??

Both the aforementioned countries are populated by doers and not a bunch of whining people who think that have been dealt a bad hand.

Even Vietnam is way ahead of the realm despite all the napalm etc.

Thailand has had more than 700 years (they are so proud of telling us) never been colonised. That was / is no thanks to them.

They would all been speaking Japanese now if it hadn't the allies come to their aid and still doing so with double pricing etc. OK Thailand had a bit of an underground but if it hadn't been for the yanks, the limeys, the dutch, the Ozies and the Kiwis. there would not even be a country called Thailand.

I can not beleive it actually people with brain here today.

Well put thank you so much.

I live in a village in Issaan. The wife's family are spread out around neighbouring villages and some have moved to another province in the region. Whichever village I have visited, the one thing that strikes me is that (with some notable exceptions) every one works. Not all are farmers. Some buy glass, aluminium and cardboard to sell fo re-cycling, others make sweets and sell them door to door in the village, others still sell any surplus produce they may have in the local markets. Irrespective of their age, everybody has at least one business to do if times are slow on the farm. The only people round here who do not work are those who are either physically or mentally incapable of doing any work.

Many young people from this village seek work in industrial towns when there is nothing for them to do on the farm; some work abroad.

The notable exceptions are those young women who have been fortunate enough to be "sponsored" by a farrang - usually by two or more farrangs.

The state does not take care of the elderly now and it is not going to do so in the foreseeable future. The burden will continue to rest with the family.

Thank you another great post.

Where are all they airheads today? Drunk please have another bottle.

But they always have their daughters and grand-daughters sending money home from Bangkok, where they are well gifted in fleecing poor trusting Farangs.. for every baht they can squeeze..!! Pass another Chang..

But they always have their daughters and grand-daughters sending money home from Bangkok, where they are well gifted in fleecing poor trusting Farangs.. for every baht they can squeeze..!! Pass another Chang..

I am very sorry but some Issan families have some dignity and are not sending their daughters or great daughters in the Bangkok or Pattaya spa. Yes, it still exists...

Uhm, so how much pension do the poor 80 or 90 year old Thais get anyways?

Maybe instead of giving the army billions of Baht more in budget increases, the government could setup a fund for the old and poor that can't do work anymore and don't have a pension or big savings account to live from? That way their daughters and grand-daughters wouldn't need to prostitute themselves so that their parents and grand-parents can survive ..and the overall quality of life for the poorer Thais can be improved.

Edited by rainman

I support my wife's parents and I have done so since long before we married.

Her Mum lives in the small house we built ages ago for that purpose and her Dad still lives in BKK helping out his grandchildren while their parents are working.

Just for the record my wife's mother is a few months younger than me and her Dad is 6 years older.

Her Dad worked until he was over 60 and her Mum supported the children and grandchildren at home.

If you wish to comment about the stupid farang and his ex-bar girl wife, please don't bother as she was not a bar girl anyway and I really don't give a rats a***

what other people think.

I chose to support them years ago and I will do until they or I die.

Edited by billd766

Uhm, so how much pension do the poor 80 or 90 year old Thais get anyways?

Maybe instead of giving the army billions of Baht more in budget increases, the government could setup a fund for the old and poor that can't do work anymore and don't have a pension or big savings account to live from? That way their daughters and grand-daughters wouldn't need to prostitute themselves so that their parents and grand-parents can survive ..and the overall quality of life for the poorer Thais can be improved.

yes it happens but in an Issan village it is a small minority. Most of girls are working in the Electronic/ electric industry or in the garment factories in the immediate suburb of Bangkok or as maid in the Hotels, hospitals or Administration. They share some rooms up to 4 or 5 girls in 10 square meters, when they have some savings they rush back to their village: you can meet them at Mochit. It is very instructive to visit those garments factories providing most of the Pratunam/Platinum stuff. 5,000 girls... working 3x8 hours per day... for 200 Baths.

I know there is a farang faun who uses to meet the Issan girls of Nana Thai, Cow boy or Pattaya only and ignores the existence of those industrial exploitations: Yes the Thai economy is booming partly due to those Issaner unknown workers. As somebody has stated in another thread, at least one positive aspect of the Red Shirt rallies is that Bankokians have to realise they must share the benefits of progress.....