Deluxe

Rates start from THB 8,025

Deluxe 3 Country View

Rates start from THB 9,525

Suite

Rates start from THB 18,150

3 Country View Suite

Rates start from THB 19,125

All rates are in THB and 10% service charge and 7% applicable government tax.The rates quoted are per night based on stay 4 pay 3, subject to seasonal variations and change without notice.

Minimum 4 nights consecutive stay required.

Bonus night is calculated as discount off nightly rate and not displayed separately.

If you read this "special" package on a hotel's website, what price do you think 4 nights would be in a "deluxe 3 country view room" at rates starting from THB9,525 ?

Edited by samtam

Normally i would say 9,525 x 3 = 28,575THB

But seeing as you started this thread i looked more closely and maybe it's 9,525 x 4 = 38,100THB Because this 9,525 rate has been already discounted assuming that you're staying 4 nights with 1 free... Which would mean that price per night would actually be 12,700 prior to discount?

Which would be a ridiculous way to calculate a free night discount, but that appears to be the case from this condition:

Bonus night is calculated as discount off nightly rate and not displayed separately.

Edited by dave111223

The actual price is THB44,843.72 for 4 nights, or THB11,210.93 per night, or about USD345 per night.

Forget that this is a very high price for a hotel in Chiang Rai, (not Bali or the Maldives), but the promotion is very poorly stated. Perhaps they're embarrassed by it. I was desparate to get out of Bangkok, and had been toying with the idea of going to Chiang Rai, which I've never visited. The smog has delayed any plans, but these hotel prices, plus airfares of THB16,680 from Bangkok make a very expensive 4 day excursion of at least THB70,000 for two, (after costs and transfers).

Needless to say, I shall not be going to this hotel. Or to Chiang Rai, actually.

wow! sounds like it's up near the golden triangle (three countries view?) there's hotels up there and further east along the Mae Nam Kong for about 1 or 2,000 baht a night and I paid about 1,600 baht for an Air Asia flight from BKK 200 baht cab ride into Chiang Rai city, 500 baht for a hotel there, took the bus up to Chiang Saen but I have been quoted around 1,200 a day for a pick up rental from one of the companies at the airport, bit less for a small car. If you fancy a trip up north you can definitely do it for a lot less than those folks are charging!

Just done a quick search on agoda, the anantara comes back at over 8,000 baht a night! all the others like the Serene and the Imperial Golden Triangle all come in around the 1,200 1,500 mark, there's cheaper ones but it sounds like you wanted a bit of luxury so I've left them out...check it out for yourself, no need to pay big bucks :) I think it's a great little spot for a trip out of the city :D

Edited by bifftastic

So samtam chooses the most expensive airline and the most expensive hotel, then comes on here and complains its too expensive so he's not going. :)

Agreed, the hotel has advertised its offer very badly, but that's no reason not to go to Chiang Rai, one of my favourite quiet getaways!

Personally I thought the answer was 9525 for 4 nights. That's how I would read it, and it seemed perfectly logical. I was shocked when the OP started multiplying.

It seems offensive to me that they would post a nightly rate at all when they are selling a package.

As for whether this is 3 nights or 4 nights, anyone who can pay 9500 baht a night for a hotel should consider it completely irrelevant whether they got a discount or not. That rate is so far in the stratosphere already that it can hardly matter.

BTW, burying that these are nightly rates in the fine print is not really being honest in my opinon.

Edited by gregb