43 Countries Issue Travel Warning For Thailand

george

43 countries issue travel warning

Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Latvia and Spain today advised their citizens to avoid travelling to Thailand, following the declaration of the state of emergency.

According to the Tourism Authority of Thailand, a total of 43 countries have issued travel warning to their citizens, with the magnitude of concerns from level 1 to 5.

Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silapa-archa said that the situation is unlikely to worsen. The ministry will thus not convince the government to revoke the state of emergency.

-- The Nation 2010-04-09

surely the travel situation worsened for tourists, as there might be solidarity strikes with the protesters on the rail and on the governmental buses, affecting services in the hotels, tourist attractions and airports.

already a month ago consulates and embassies were cutting their working hours and advising visitors to call first and make an appointment, to be sure that the door is opened

Edited by londonthai

surely the travel situation worsened for tourists, as there might be solidarity strikes with the protesters on the rail and on the governmental buses, affecting services in the hotels, tourist attractions and airports.

already a month ago consulates and embassies were cutting their working hours and advising visitors to call first and make an appointment, to be sure that the door is opened

They are just making hay while the sun shines.

Just an example: the website of the German ministry of foreign affairs last updated its advice about Thailand on April 7, it just says to avoid crowds and demonstrations, and that it is still unconditionally possible to travel to and inside Thailand.

Anyone have any stats on how many jobs are tourism related in Thailand?

Anecdotally I heard it was 1.5 million, but I can't remember where I heard it!

It only accounts for about 7 or 8% of the economy, so, significant but not overwhelmingly so ...except for people like me who have small businesses!!

Just a point: I read somewhere that it is possible your travel insurance cover may be negated, if your govenment issues travel warnings.

Always wondered about that. I thought that if you were injured as a direct result of civil unrest then your insurance will not cover it. But I thought that if you were injured during the normal course of travel, then it would be covered.... But I really do not know...

TheWalkingMan

Anyone have any stats on how many jobs are tourism related in Thailand?

The last I checked tourism over all was 6% of Thailand's economy, rice 40 some %.

In the 3 times I've been to Thailand, only been in a Tuktuk twice, but then, the places I go I rarely see them, or farangs.

If you break that down further, 'farang' tourism is only a portion of the 6%.

The Thais promote to Japan and China as a preferrable target market, for reasons that don't need describing.

not cheap skates, not trouble makers

thai government, together with a free tourist visa till 1st aprill 2011, is giving authomatically a $10k insurance protection in case of a civil unrest.

the problem is, if the present government is gone, what the next government is going to do about it.

there are a lot of other countries tourists can choose from, much more of them are even cheaper for families.

The "hardcore" (single, fat, old&nasty men ) traveller which are not coming just for the good weather and the nice beaches will come anyway :)

like we say in germany a pu_sy draws mure as ten horses :D ---even if they make Bkk a war zone