Cameroonian Detained For Smuggling Khmer Gold To Thailand

webfact

Cameroonian detained for smuggling Khmer gold to Thailand

gallery_327_1086_5330.jpg

SA KAEO (TNA) -- A Cameroon man was abruptly detained with smuggled gold by Thai officials at the Aranyaprathet district immigration checkpoint after having crossed the border from Poi Pet in Cambodia to Thai territory.

Arrested while carrying wheeled baggage, the man was asked to be searched, as said by officials, for he was deemed suspicious.

Grains of gold weighing some 1,250 grammes were found packed in a plastic bag hidden in the suitcase without legal documentation permitting the importing of gold.

Milol Francis, 35, confessed to the Thai authorities he had travelled to Cambodia and bought the precious metal, which he said had been smuggled by various gold mines in Cambodia and later sold in Phnom Penh.

Milol said he had bought the gold for US$2,000 in order to resell it in Cameroon. Thai officials said the gold was seized and legal action will be taken against the suspect. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-04-09

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

"Milol said he had bought the gold for US$2,000 in order to resell it in Cameroon."

1250 grams of gold for 2000 US$.Not a bad deal I should say.Anyone has some info as to where it can be bought at that price?I don't mind if it is a little more.

I wonder if it's some of that fake stuff. What the hel_l's wrong with bringing gold into Thailand, where's the cut off. Some of the idiots I see walking around England have almost that much gold on their necks and arms, would they be arrested too ?

Wow, if my calculations are correct that is $ 45,271.10 worth of gold. And only paid $2,000 for it. :)

1,250 grams divided by 15.1 (1 Baht of Gold = 15.1 gr.) is 82.78 Baht of Gold Times X 17500 (price of Thai Gold by baht wt.)=

1,448,475.49 Baht = $45,271.10 @ 32 Baht to the $

I wonder if it's some of that fake stuff. What the hel_l's wrong with bringing gold into Thailand, where's the cut off. Some of the idiots I see walking around England have almost that much gold on their necks and arms, would they be arrested too ?

I had this problem before, ofcourse i knew how to deal with the immigration officers and so didnt have any problems.

However they informed me that it is actually illegal to import or export gold from thailand without permits... however if you come in to the country wearing the gold, that is considered personal use and is allowed.

Point here is be bloody careful as rules here are about as clear as coke and wear any gold you want to take into or out of the country

These are grains of gold, probably rough. So they have not been cleaned yet.

We don't know the % of gold thats inside.

I think hes saying 2000$ so he hopes he will just have to pay an import tax and penalty on that amount.

Anyway I wish him the best of luck, as this is not a big crime I would be very very surprised he ends up in jail... I don't understand why this made the news.