Party's Over As Troops Descend On Bangkok Red-Light District

webfact

A freedom fighter fights those who wish to take away the freedom and liberty of the people.

In the 16 months that the Democrats have been in government, what freedoms and liberties have they taken away from the people?

The freedom of demorcratically elected governemnt. I'll give you an example, Peter. If you voted for a a political party in your country, and they "won" the election. (if you don't know what that means - it means, they got the most votes) and then some "higher powers" didn't like the outcome of that election, and protested (like - take over your countrty's main airport) and ended the elected governemnt's term - that would be taking away the freedom of the majority of the people.

My friend you have no idea about politics

Remember 1 weak in Politics is a life time

Aust has a history of an elected governement been thrown out by a Govenor General

The difference is we did not whinge about it

we did not throw our country into chaos

we just got on with it

You will get your new election, that is not in dispute

You just want it your way or no way

All I can see is thousands of red shirts playing Russian Roulette

Some will die and some will live

There choice as Thailand is a Democracy

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerome Allaim, a 34-year-old expatriate Frenchman, still reckons Patpong is "certainly the nicest place to find girls in Bangkok" even though troop deployment "doesn't impress".

:D:) Imagine putting your name to that call :D:D .

Maybe he was drunk and obnoxious and gave the name of his next door neighbor back home ..... :D

((("Ozzieman05" - since you know all about Thailand, and what the women do with the money - how about you tell us.))))

As I aid before this subject can take up another topics

But the above is given in great detail in many books and available on the Stickman Web site

Majority of Thais life is all about face

and the money send home is spent on stupid things only with 1 object to make the family look good in the eyes of other villages

This posting is about Red shirt problems in Bkk and not for me to give you a lesson on Thai culture, again there are many any books on this subject if your really interested

Do you know what a book shop is ????

Have you read one of the books yourself???????? Or, do you just plagerise from authors?

Unlike you

when I spend some time relaxing in a bar I talk to the girls about their lives, not about how can I get into their pants

Unlike you

I took the time and have a good understanding of the Thai Language and Lao, so my converstation and not resticted to

How Much and How Long

Unlike you

I have a Thai wife and not looking for short time all day lone

On many many occasion my Thai wife will come along for a drink, and the girls open up a lot more to her about their lives

Unlike you

I love Thailand for its culture, its ways and traditions

My favorite book

Thai Fever

But this is only any good to Farangs who have a serious comittment to live with a Thai wife

Unlike you

I do not see Thai girls who work in bars as prostitutes

In fact if you knew any thing about Thailand

there are NO PROSTITUTES IN THAILAND

:)

Maybe you ought to open your eyes and look around. In my local area, Nonthaburi, there are numerous massage parlours, karoke bars, and other brothels. Guess what, none of them are aimed at serving foreigners. Go to any neighborhood in Bangkok and you will find the same thing. Go to any city in Thailand and you will find the the sex trade exists, and most of it is to service Thais. The Bangkok red light districts are a small portion of it. Sure Pattaya is a playground for tourists, but all over Thailand if you look around you will see the evidence of the Thai sex trade. If all the foreigners went home tomorrow prostitution would still thrive in Thailand. Don't go blaming foreigners for exploiting Thai women, Thais are equally capable of doing it to themselves.

Yes this is correct

Beer Bars for Farang is a very very small percentage of the scene in Thailand

How may Farang get to go to Buffallo Bridge

Where I her you ask

Go Go bars for Thais

The truth is Thai men laugh when they see the quality of Thai ladies that Farang get in their bars

Been there done that

Issan is covered with places where Thai men can go for a bit of fun

and the slave trade is still going strong

But this is another topic for another listing

If you really want to understand Thailand spent the time and learn their language and go out into the real Thailand

You may really get a shock

Believe me Thai men are well looked after for there needs and wants

((("Ozzieman05" - since you know all about Thailand, and what the women do with the money - how about you tell us.))))

But the above is given in great detail in many books and available on the Stickman Web site

and the money send home is spent on stupid things only with 1 object to make the family look good in the eyes of other villages

This posting is about Red shirt problems in Bkk and not for me to give you a lesson on Thai culture, again there are many any books on this subject if your really interested

Have you read one of the books yourself???????? Or, do you just plagerise from authors?

Unlike you

when I spend some time relaxing in a bar I talk to the girls about their lives, not about how can I get into their pants

Unlike you

I took the time and have a good understanding of the Thai Language and Lao, so my converstation and not resticted to

How Much and How Long

Unlike you

On many many occasion my Thai wife will come along for a drink, and the girls open up a lot more to her about their lives

Unlike you

My favorite book

Thai Fever

But this is only any good to Farangs who have a serious comittment to live with a Thai wife

Unlike you

Right on. Right on. Right on.

Unlike you

Unlike you

How Much and How Long

Unlike you

Unlike you

My favorite book

Thai Fever

Unlike you

In fact if you knew any thing about Thailand

there are NO PROSTITUTES IN THAILAND

Haha. Can't beat a bit of good old fashioned self-delusion.

It's been 50 years since The Vietnam War. Approximately 5 generations of Issan women have traveled south to work in the sex trade since this war.

I have often asked myself the same question, where has the money gone???? Sure, they gamble, drink samsong and swing in a hamock all day, but the money "earned" from the sex trade, by successive generations, and the many that have had farang "sponsors" - where did it go?

Why does the next daughter born in the family have to go and work in a bar. You can't drink that much samsong and you can't lose at card ALL of the time.

Sex trade earnings and farang "donations" have been heading to Issan for 50 years. Surely some familys have increased their wealth to a point where the next generation doesn't have to work in the sex trade?

So, "Ozzieman05" - since you know all about Thailand, and what the women do with the money - how about you tell us.

It has been 35 years not 50 since the war in Vietnam was over and the 50,000 American troops that were stationed all over Thailand including Issan were withdrawn. How many generations happen in 35 years?

Maybe you want to think about the number of Japanese troops that were stationed here during WWII. In most countries the Japanese troops held the local populations in slave brothels but not Thailand because the Thai's were Japanese allies. The Japanese troops paid the girls.

How about the Chinese KMT troops? How many were stationed in Thailand and how long did they stay and what city did they have R&R in?

Are you assuming that women did not go to Bangkok to work in Bars before the Americans came? Ha ha ha.

BTW Pattaya was still a small town with only two hotels when the Americans left in 1975.

Digest those facts and ask your question again and I will give you the answer.

Get a calculator. Vietnam War started in 1959. That's 50 years. American G.I's were paying US dollars for boom boom in Pattaya prior, during and after the war. Udon Thai and Ubon ratithani bases were the same. But R and R was big in Pattaya. It was the same in Angeles City in the Philippines (airforce airport bombing base).

So, you think US cash only started coming into Thailand AFTER the war - GET REAL. It was the war that kick the sex trade in Thailand off. It was the R and R soliders that created the market.

Let me guess - you worked in "the green zone."

Dear NamKangMan

Some facts about the Vietnam war and its effect on Thailand. There were few American troops in Vietnam relatively speaking until 1965. The majority of the troop deployment and causalities occurred in 1968 and 1969. Pattaya was a minor destination for R&R troops. Bangkok saw the majority of R&R activity. The most popular R&R site was Hawaii. The Vietnam war did not kick off prostitution in Thailand. It was there long before the war in every city in Thailand.

What kicked off prostitution in Thailand was cheap air travel. Before that check the seafaring trade from all over the world but primarily Asian ports along with the healthy appetite of Thai men.

During the Vietnam era Hong Kong, Taipei, Kings Cross in Sidney and Singapore also vied for American R&R dollars along with Bangkok. In little more than a year 300,000 Americans went to Sidney. How many do you think went to Thailand?

I guess the question you should be asking is why Thailand is now the internationally recognized destination for sex tourists in Asia and not Hong Kong, Taipei and Singapore.

Slightly off topic, but, whilst the Red Shirts have protested and shut down the business district and caused the deployment of the Army and Police, on mass, has anyone considered the cost, to the current Government, of "fighting this domestic battle?" The Red Shirts can live on a cup of boiled rice a day, and we all know Mr.T is "chipping in" a few baht for them, but, economically, it's possible, the Government will not be able to sustain the prolonged cost of Army, Police and emergency services deployment.

All of these personel have to be paid, fed, housed etc. The logistics for all of this is very costly to Thailand. To some degree, as far as the defence forces of Thailand are concerned, Thailand is at war. Wars cost a lot of money and they are in this one alone, not with any "richer" allied countries. Add to the cost of the defence force, the local Police, Fire Brigade and Ambulance involvement, all staff at 24/7, and this mounts up to a HUGE bill, for the Government. The day may come when they can't afford to pay their Army, Police and other emergency services, plus, all the support staff for them.

Further compounding this cost is, which is on topic, the economic cost, in real terms, to the country. Not much money is "coming in." So, tourism, imports, exports etc etc are not generating their normal income. However, tourisms is the talk on TV and we know for a fact this is down.

The current Government must have a "cut off point" for funding all of this. After all, Thailand is not America, The UK or The EU.

I'm not sure The World Bank would be interested in loaning money to Thailand for this "project."

We all know the Red Shirts are "hitting" the Government, economically, but has anyone considered the economic cost of this "domestic war?" It's this cost that could bring down the Government, not the loss of tourism etc.

The Army, Police etc all have families and bills to pay. If you can't pay these people, there will have to be another coup.

If the PM Khun Abisit was not so hel_l bent on hanging on to power, and thought more of his country, he could end all this trauma to his nation by calling an election as soon as possible. The Redshirts would then have no option but to disband and go home.........END OF STORY !

If the PM Khun Abisit was not so hel_l bent on hanging on to power, and thought more of his country, he could end all this trauma to his nation by calling an election as soon as possible. The Redshirts would then have no option but to disband and go home.........END OF STORY !

And what do you do with the next mob that comes out protesting? Call another election?

Governments should not be forced to call elections by minority mobs.

patpong is far away from prathunam, where the protesters are.

why soldiers have decided to park on this very street and close the night market is beyond me - there are many other roads and places where they can be positioned (if they really have to be on the streets and not in the barracks) without obstructing the public.

blaming the reds, instead of blaiming the army, is illogical

Hahahaha, where do you guys come from?

So if the REDS were NOT out breaking the law everyday you think the Army would be on the street still?

of course it's the RED's fault.. good lord man use some common sense.

Common sense tells me that if Abishit was not so stubborn by refusing an election asap., but clinging on to power like a fish fighting on the hook, all this could be avoided

Slightly off topic, but, whilst the Red Shirts have protested and shut down the business district and caused the deployment of the Army and Police, on mass, has anyone considered the cost, to the current Government, of "fighting this domestic battle?" The Red Shirts can live on a cup of boiled rice a day, and we all know Mr.T is "chipping in" a few baht for them, but, economically, it's possible, the Government will not be able to sustain the prolonged cost of Army, Police and emergency services deployment.

All of these personel have to be paid, fed, housed etc. The logistics for all of this is very costly to Thailand. To some degree, as far as the defence forces of Thailand are concerned, Thailand is at war. Wars cost a lot of money and they are in this one alone, not with any "richer" allied countries. Add to the cost of the defence force, the local Police, Fire Brigade and Ambulance involvement, all staff at 24/7, and this mounts up to a HUGE bill, for the Government. The day may come when they can't afford to pay their Army, Police and other emergency services, plus, all the support staff for them.

Further compounding this cost is, which is on topic, the economic cost, in real terms, to the country. Not much money is "coming in." So, tourism, imports, exports etc etc are not generating their normal income. However, tourisms is the talk on TV and we know for a fact this is down.

The current Government must have a "cut off point" for funding all of this. After all, Thailand is not America, The UK or The EU.

I'm not sure The World Bank would be interested in loaning money to Thailand for this "project."

We all know the Red Shirts are "hitting" the Government, economically, but has anyone considered the economic cost of this "domestic war?" It's this cost that could bring down the Government, not the loss of tourism etc.

The Army, Police etc all have families and bills to pay. If you can't pay these people, there will have to be another coup.

I think the courts should rule to confiscate the red leaders bank accounts (after all they are wanted criminals) and divert the money to compensate shop owners who have lost millions, this will also hopefully help to stop the flow of cash transfers from Taksin :)

You mean 'like they did with the airport trrrorists' mmmmmmmmm i see!

Jerome Allaim, a 34-year-old expatriate Frenchman, still reckons Patpong is "certainly the nicest place to find girls in Bangkok" even though troop deployment "doesn't impress".

"I'm not worried or scared. It'll pass. Thai people will find a solution," he said.

Italian Andrea Ra, 37, who sat at a bar while 10 go-go dancers in fishnet stockings stood on tables bouncing to heavy bass music, said she had not been put off a return visit.

"It's not dangerous. Thai people are very friendly so I don't think anything will happen," she said.

And people talk about the KSR/Koh Pagnan crowd having their heads up their backsides!

I don't think anything will happen.

I'm gonna start by saying, i am not for or against Red shirts, yellow shirts, pink shirt, multi-colored shirts... or any other color (though i think Orange should be a color with "peace and unity" as a motto and actually STICK to their motto, provoked or unprovoked)

Has anyone else failed to see that it's now not just the Red Shirts who are violent, but because of the April 10 clash, they are labeled that. Granted, the violence was uncalled for, and both sides are just to blame. But Pink shirts and multicolored shirts are starting to use violence. All sides are provoking each other.

You also can not (well i guess you can because it is being done) say one group is breaking the law for gathering during the state of emergency when the other groups are doing the same thing. It doesn't matter who each side is for or against, if you arrest 1, you arrest all.

But i guess life isn't fair, which is what i was taught, and what i teach my kids.

Unfort, it is between the Thais, and we have to let them handle it. We all know too, that if one group "wins" the other group will protest. Its a never ending circle. They are the only ones who can stop it.

As for prostitutes, look around it's everywhere, not just in thailand. IMHO, it's more known here because it seems to be more accepted and everyone is supporting the trade who decides to visit them. Not just thai & western men are serviced. Every race, even male/female. And what is wrong with being a bar girl? not all are in the trade of sex. Another "it's true everywhere" most bars hire girls to work.

Not everyone fits the stereotyping that is going on here. Plenty of issan women do not work in the trade (many are maids, nannys, work in hotels etc), plenty of issan men are not drunks, not all issan women want farang men for $$, but that is what people and news wants to focus on, (not just now, but in general) but it's the same with anything, lets focus on the bad and stereotype instead of looking around at the ones who do not fit.

Such is life i guess, and we all have opinions, and entitled to them and to voice them. Not all of us are going to agree with each other.

No, it would be the beginning of an even longer, more sordid, and dislocating story....

Edited by animatic

Please do some basic research before posting. There are so many newbie farang on this site with simply no depth of idea on the topic prior to the last 2 - 3 years.

why soldiers have decided to park on this very street and close the night market is beyond me - there are many other roads and places where they can be positioned (if they really have to be on the streets and not in the barracks) without obstructing the public.

the girls in the bars are children and the relatives of the red shirts - kill the goose -- the go-g0-girls -whot lay the golden eggs i.e. the extra dollars the go-go-girls make in the bars - you kill the red shirt movement.

yes,no???? :) -

Really Ok I am sorry to tell you that you are a dreamer

I have lived in Thailand long enough to know

Have an early ELECTION is only Part 1 of the full intentions

Once the PM calls for the disolution of Parliment

Pandora Box will open up

Then you will really see what this is all about

And I can tell you now

It has nothing to do with DEMOCRACY we all ready have that

Apparently some of the red night employees are going on strike in reaction to the civil disturbances. Rumour has it bargirls in soi 11 are 'downing tools.' :D

OMG...........how to avoid another government 'cock up' :D

no bar-fines to pay, hurray!

sorry, bar-owners,i.e. yellow shirters , et.al. except red shirts, the dancers and such. :) .

can we talk about this? We now hear a civil court has upheld an injuction stopping the govt. from using force to dispell the redshirts.If this is true i find it incredible that the govt. of the day cannot protect its citizens from going about their day in pusuit of employment and further disrupting shopping centres from earning a living.Surely its time to get tough and stop these hooligans.I cant think of any other country that would put up with this.

can we talk about this? We now hear a civil court has upheld an injuction stopping the govt. from using force to dispell the redshirts.If this is true i find it incredible that the govt. of the day cannot protect its citizens from going about their day in pusuit of employment and further disrupting shopping centres from earning a living.Surely its time to get tough and stop these hooligans.I cant think of any other country that would put up with this.

It forces the hand of Marshal Law via Army, which considering tonight so far, may well be the case....

But also takes the hit from the government, because now they CAN'T order it.

LOL......maybe this is impacting "londonthai" income................. :):D:D:D:D:D

you misunderstood me completely - I am not complaining at all, that patpong is occupied by soldiers. They should minimise an obstruction to the citizens, by choosing some less prominent streets.

what's happening in bangkok or in thailand does not obstruct much of my income from letting our my holiday house - in thailand I do only spend my holiday money and not make any. I do not live there full time.