No New Evidence In Thaksin's Appeal : Prosecutors

webfact

THAKSIN'S ASSET SEIZURE CASE

No new evidence in Thaksin's appeal : prosecutors

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_3584.jpg

BANGKOK: -- There was no new evidence in the appeal lodged by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his family with regard to the seizure of Bt46.3 billion, public prosecutors said yesterday.

Waiwudh Lortrakul, the deputy attorney-general, said prosecutors would today submit a statement to the Supreme Court to counter the appeal.

Prosecutor Nunthasak Poonsuk said Thaksin's lawyers did not produce any new evidence to back the appeal, because the evidence cited had already been considered in the February 26 verdict, in which the court ruled in favour of confiscating Bt46.3 billion of Thaksin's estate worth Bt76 billion on grounds of corruption.

According to law, the court will not accept an appeal if no new evidence relevant to the case is presented.

The Supreme Court will shortly appoint a panel of five senior judges to consider the appeal as well as the prosecution's statement, which argues against re-opening of the asset-seizure case.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-21

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Thaksin, IMHO should drop this and concentrate on more serious business.

I know it's all about money on both side, but if he wants one last chance to make a difference, he should take the hit, land in Chaing Mai and march on Bangkok.

I, like many, am not a fan of his, but he is better than what is on offer from the other side. That being a lifetime without a valid vote and an unaccountable elite robbing the country blind for another generation.

PS, is that what I think it is on his head?

Edited by grandpops

I believed that an appeal court here can only examine evidence presented in the original trial. IE whether the court managed evidence appropriately. I don't believe an appeal court re-examines the whole case and certainly doesn't allow 'new' evidence as this would have to lead to a re-trial. I believe Thaksin's appeal is a strategy purely to delay the enforcement of the verdict.

Edited by Loaded

I believed that an appeal court here can only examine evidence presented in the original trial. IE whether the court managed evidence appropriately. I don't believe an appeal court re-examines the whole case and certainly doesn't allow 'new' evidence as this would have to lead to a re-trial. I believe Thaksin's appeal is a strategy purely to delay the enforcement of the verdict.

No. My understanding is that being the top court, it can't be appealed, unless there is evidence that wasn't considered in the previous decision.

I know it's all about money on both side, but if he wants one last chance to make a difference, he should take the hit, land in Chaing Mai and march on Bangkok.

I, like many, am not a fan of his, but he is better than what is on offer from the other side. That being a lifetime without a valid vote and an unaccountable elite robbing the country blind for another generation.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ... I thought you are Thaksin...

So in short you would rather have a vote and let funds rather go back into his pocket? :D

PS: Now i know where my carpet has disappeared to! :)

No. My understanding is that being the top court, it can't be appealed, unless there is evidence that wasn't considered in the previous decision.

It MUST contain NEW evidence. Not previously excluded or over-ruled evidence.

Seems that the lawyers had nothing whatsoever NEW or unseen, that they dared not present before.

So no appeal possible. Not surprising either.

Edited by animatic

You must be kidding, land in Chain Mai and march to Bangkok. :)

He is a coward as everyone knows, he only uses other uneducated people by promising money and he can only stair things from at least 3000 mile away in a secure location.

It MUST contain NEW evidence. Not previously excluded or over-ruled evidence.

Seems that the lawyers had nothing whatsoever NEW or unseen, that they dared not present before.

So no appeal possible. Not surprising either.

I think they this is tactics to buy some time hoping the Red Shirt can successes, Again this proves he is using anyone he can to get what he wants

Maybe they should re-consider the verdict as it gives them the opportunity to increase the amount siezed.

If they have not already dispersed the remainder of the frozen funds, perhaps they can keep them frozen and use them to compensate for current damages.

Based on his previous actions, he would never have the courage to do this sort of thing. Unless it's someone else's hide at risk, or the outcome is pre-assured, he just wouldn't take the chance.

Like Bonnie Prince Charlie I suppose? He ran away and his supporters were slaughtered at Culloden - mainly by fellow Scots I might add. The Highlanders (read Isan farmers) suffered terrible retribution for decades. I suggest that the only marching Thaksin would do would be within the confines of The Four Seasons hotel.

Given that history lesson, now connect up the still working parts of your brain and run through all the possible scenarios that the fugitive criminal's return to Thailand might bring forth. None are pleasant.

In most parts of the world the elderly and their opinions were respected, and they were seen as the repositories of wisdom and knowledge. In the developed countries that is unfortunately no longer the case. I wonder why, Grandpops.

This is Thailand, it doesn't matter what the law states.

There is one law for the rich and powerful and then is the law of the land for everybody else.

For example, why are Thaksin's kids walking about free when they were setenced to 3 years for tax evasion. How long does the bail period last for, infinity?

Another example is the Police Generals son who lost it and killed some pedestrians in his mercedes. This was over 2 years ago and he is still out on bail.

TIT don't you just love it :)

Thaksin is financing the protests while he lays back in five-star luxury and let's his duped followers die in the streets, and his homeland falls into financial ruin. This demagogue fooled the poor Thai farmers and factory workers with a few million baht in token charity while he stole billions in unpaid taxes. I'm ever amazed how the poor so often admire and follow the rich who rip them off.

There is one law for the rich and powerful and then is the law of the land for everybody else.

For example, why are Thaksin's kids walking about free when they were setenced to 3 years for tax evasion. How long does the bail period last for, infinity?

Another example is the Police Generals son who lost it and killed some pedestrians in his mercedes. This was over 2 years ago and he is still out on bail.

TIT don't you just love it :D

I suggest you go back and refresh your memory on the 2 events you (mis)quote.

Looking forward to your update on TV. :)

Edited by jackspratt

If what we have now is an unaccountable elite robbing the country blind, i see no difference to when Thaksin had his snout in the trough.

Maybe they should re-consider the verdict as it gives them the opportunity to increase the amount siezed.

If they have not already dispersed the remainder of the frozen funds, perhaps they can keep them frozen and use them to compensate for current damages.

Thaksin has already moved the funds out of the banks he previously had them in. The money is thought to be still in Thailand.

Yeeaah, if you look at it long enough it starts to move :)

actually it looks pretty intact (with glue!) I think it could survive high winds. or maybe it was roadkill that didn't survive.

Thaksin is financing the protests while he lays back in five-star luxury and let's his duped followers die in the streets, and his homeland falls into financial ruin. This demagogue fooled the poor Thai farmers and factory workers with a few million baht in token charity while he stole billions in unpaid taxes. I'm ever amazed how the poor so often admire and follow the rich who rip them off.

that pretty much sums it all up. they complain about the rich yet they admire the rich. ironic?

What a marvellous idea! Lodge a flight plan for his private jet; probably not. Illegally enter thai air space; target practice for F16s - I fancy that! Sneak in and lead a column on BKK; F16s and tanks - that's putting cream on the pudding!

since when have you not been a fan of Thaksin? Should I do a display of your recent posts on current threads?

cleverclogs, I wouldn't have posted those examples if I knew the updated version of events, do enlighten me!!!!

cleverclogs, I wouldn't have posted those examples if I knew the updated version of events, do enlighten me!!!!

Nope - you can stay ignorant and misinformed. :D

Its hilarious how the red cheerleaders flip-flop from Thaksin is not the issue to Thaksin is the leader

One week on to one week off.

It is like a dance of the 7 veils, except with the Thaksin apologists there are only 2.

Now we have an eminent forum red supporter advising Thaksin to sacrifice himself for the reds.

To put the cart before the horse.

You couldn't make it up if you tried.

But he did.

Nope - you can stay ignorant and misinformed. :D

Muppet :D

Edited by Thaihog