Thai PM Abhisit Vows To Retake Bangkok Protest Site

webfact

His version sounds good but is it really completely off the mark ? Why would he make up the M50 part ?

In the dawn of 6 October 1976, the rightists began to fire into the University campus using military weapons. Although the students pleaded for a ceasefire, the then police chief authorized a free fire on the University and the paramilitary groups stormed in. Students who were surrendering were forced to lie on the ground only to be beaten, some to death. Others were shot or hung and their bodies set ablaze. Those attempting to escape the University by jumping into the Chao Phraya River were also shot. The attacks lasted for several hours until the Border Patrol Police, Red Gaur, Navapol, and the Village Scouts re-gathered at the Royal Turf Club and were dismissed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6_October_1976_Massacre

As far as I remember the fighting was shown on the "army station" of that time, and the university was under siege from the night before, civilians were bussed in from the provinces. The students never pleaded for a ceasefire, it was the government who tried to get a ceasefire in the morning, the students told them to send some people in unarmed which is what happened but they were killed.

There were indeed a few students burned alive, not by the army but by the civilians outside the university, I only saw one kid get burnt alive over near the grand palace side of the old sunday market. There used to be some trees there years ago.

And many students did escape out the back and most managed to reach China where they were given sanctuary by the communist government.

And I heard the M50 being fired, after the police/army took control, they showed the M50 on the 3rd floor stairs, its a big gun, so the students left it when they ran away.

Do any of you remember when the students took over nearly all the streets of Bangkok, they closed the city down, even the airport closed, all bus were "captured", all police ran away, they were fighting the government and their injured friends were bussed to hospitals throughout the city. They closed down part of Rama 4 road because they needed easy access to the hospital on the corner across form the Dusit Thani. I was working that day and had to take a taxi home because of the "uprising". 1973 I think.

Edited by Hawk

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some people here don't understand that this isn't just about Rajprasong anymore. The PM has completely lost control over the country. Here is what happened elsewhere in Thailand:

- Hundreds of protesters yesterday blocked Phaholyothin road in Pathum Thani to prevent police from the North and Northeastern provinces reinforcing in the capital for a possible crackdown on protesters. Some 50 police vehicles with 500 police officers were stopped. The blockade also caused traffic congestion in Prathum Thani's Rangsit area which is the main route from northern regions to Bangkok.

- In northeastern Udon Thani province, a group of protesters led by Wichian Khaokham, Pheu Thai's MP blocked the Friendship road in Nonsa-ard district to bar military and police from travelling to Bangkok. Some 10 vans and 6 trucks loaded with 178 police officers who would rotate with colleagues in the capital were stopped yesterday in the district.

- In northeastern Chaiyaphum province, protesters stopped some 100 police officers travelling from Nong Khai and Leoi to Bangkok.

- In northeastern Ubon Ratchathani, some 3,000 protesters took into custody seven people from Ratchathani Asok community accusing them of being security guards for the pro-government group People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

- In northern Chiang Mai province, red protesters confronted a pro-government multi-colour group gathered to support the government. Police asked the multi-colour group to end their activities because of the red group's aggressiveness.

- In Nakhon Ratchasima, pro-government group briefly confronted red protesters but police separated them before a clash.

Source: The Nation

Above is definitely interesting reading and tells miles about the peaceful nature of the red protesters and their respect for the laws and harmony in this country...

It might also be showing us that the change in the country has started and the forces of the Elite would do better to find a way to fit in with it and have some influence or say.

These troops cannot get to Bangkok now, do you think they could ever get out of it peacefully and go back to policing in the provinces if they get the blood of the UDD on their hands?

what he is pointing out is that even if the army had enough forces to deal with Rachprashong (which it hasn't by all accounts or why bus in thousands of extra ones?) then how will they deal with the country if it rebelled.

Army are getting stretched and this could endanger the country even more if they start a civil war. They are restless in the south, What if troops are pulled from the borders with burma? More drugs and people traffiking. From Cambodia border? More loss of land and face.

Despite sitting in the same room as Abhisit yesterday, Anupong move away from him everytime he spoke. And Anupong also resisted using force at rachprasong.

If you forget about Thaskin and think about the primary reason the redshirts are rebelling: Thailand does not have an elected PM. The redshirts want to have elections for a PM. If the present PM wants to run in this election, let him do it. The present PM cannot compromise because he cannot leave office halfway.

I say let democracy truly rule the land here and have elected officials. Not appointed ones.

Have you been asleep for the last 6 weeks

Apparently he's been asleep since 2005 ....

Don't be surprised by anything, but as I was watching the event on TV that day, I know what I saw, and I saw it all in great detail.

So I don't care what a non descript person like you chooses to believe. Ask the person who wrote that "wiki" entry if they were even alive in 1976, or were they still in nursery school like you.

Just to give people something to think about... this is my best friend from Indonesia. Holding a photo of herself gunned down during the demonstrations against Sucharto.

Luckily she has survived and recovered more or less fully, being a prominent lawyer now.

However I truly hope that none of you who are so much in support of your team to win at any cost needs to look at his son, daughter, sister, brother, father, mother, grandma, grandpa, niece, cousin... like on her photo.

Listen, whoever you are, we are discussing Thailand, I'm not interested in Indonesia, so I personally don't need anything else to think about.

The students of Thamasat in 1976 were communists, they wanted Thailand to go the way of Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia, they had "war" weapons, they wanted the King removed, they wanted a communist state, they used live ammunition and had to pay the price, end of story.

Luckily they were all stopped.

I agree some of those Red Shirts are my adaptive family!
You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

We are talking about an ARMY possibly slaughtering civilians who are armed with just sticks and rocks for self-defence.

I'll bet none of you know the history of the Thammasat students who were slaughtered in 1976.

Have you seen the pictures or the video?

What is wrong with you people?

Are your business interests at stake or what?

You should be held as guilty as those who may possibly murder many innocent men, women, and children.

Why don't you go back to your home countries and kill your own people.

Agree completely. I also find it strange how its only the yellow supporters on TV who are baying for blood all the time and yet criticise the reds for being violent!! The govt makes it worse by calling people terrorists and blocking all anti govt reporting/websites. Give the country a balanced view so they can make their own decisions! Not ONE journalist outside of Thailand has called any red a terrorist!

You'd have to be pretty myopic not to call Seh Daeng such.

The translated transcript of Anupongs interview appears to have disappeared from the Nation but has been preserved elsewhere on Thai visa....

Please note the quotes in bold from the armed forces commander:

Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Anupong Paochinda said on TV that some retired and active soldiers took part in the use of arms to attack the authorities and the people at Phan Fa and Silom areas.

Giving an interview along with the prime minister during the PM's weekly TV programme, Anupong said the Army will help police to the best of its ability to get rid of all the weapons being used by terrorists.

Anupong insisted the Army is still united as "we are the nation's, people's and His Majesty's army".

"Individually there might be some problems, but it's not significant. The whole Army institution remains solidly just like I said," the Army chief said.

Seems like some self-contradiction there. "united" or not united?

they are "not significant" they are "retired or active soldiers" (who significantly, are not united)

I am grateful the General has cleared up the misunderstanding and has formally identified the terrorists as insignificant members of the armed forces.

Still I admire his honesty. Someone with less personal integrity or self-restraint would have labelled them as red shirt protestors.

Bring out the tanks !!

The government needs to send in special forces and grab the leaders ... that is the whole problem ..

In case you haven't noticed, the special forces units are backing Thaksin. That's a big reason why the "normal Army" isn't doing anything.

Some rogue parts of the army are backing Thaksin in his war against Thailand. I'm glad that you agree that this whole red menace is about Thaksin.

The PM is still showing restraint and is still completely in control.

And I suppose when Thaksin is bought back to power this is what he would do....he has so much blood on his hands that any sane person who was LIVING here under his regime would want him tried in the international court...he is nothing but a dictorial despot

I have just spent the first 3 weeks of this month in Isaan visiting Thai friends and saw very few actual red shirts or vehicles with red shirt adornments....this is all about a few of Thaksin's mob and his money

I am neither red or yellow shirt devotee....there are certainly injustices in all parts of Thailand....Abhisit is a young new breed of politician in this country and is well aware of the many problems and pitfalls...would u rather have him or more of the same of the feudal money politics that have pervaded this country for many years .....do u really think that those so called red leaders are going to be the saving grace of the poor in the whole of trhis country....get a life...then u may get a brain and see the bigger picture

You know what....

... the ones who started that political riff raff are those PAD dudes by blocking the airport two years ago

You know what....

... the ones who started that political riff raff are those Red Shirt dudes by rioting in front of Prem's house three years ago

You know what....

... the ones who started that political riff raff are those PAD dudes by blocking the airport two years ago

You know what....

... the ones who started that political riff raff are those Red Shirt dudes by rioting in front of Prem's house three years ago

the ones that started all this were Jamlong and his cohorts back in 2005/2006.

Don't be surprised by anything, but as I was watching the event on TV that day, I know what I saw, and I saw it all in great detail.

So I don't care what a non descript person like you chooses to believe. Ask the person who wrote that "wiki" entry if they were even alive in 1976, or were they still in nursery school like you.

Just to give people something to think about... this is my best friend from Indonesia. Holding a photo of herself gunned down during the demonstrations against Sucharto.

Luckily she has survived and recovered more or less fully, being a prominent lawyer now.

However I truly hope that none of you who are so much in support of your team to win at any cost needs to look at his son, daughter, sister, brother, father, mother, grandma, grandpa, niece, cousin... like on her photo.

Listen, whoever you are, we are discussing Thailand, I'm not interested in Indonesia, so I personally don't need anything else to think about.

The students of Thamasat in 1976 were communists, they wanted Thailand to go the way of Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia, they had "war" weapons, they wanted the King removed, they wanted a communist state, they used live ammunition and had to pay the price, end of story.

Luckily they were all stopped.

Dear dear ....Uncle Sam and the CIA boy scouts would not approve of that would they........

just after getting their butts etc from next door.......wots the word ....Para....noi......... :)

You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

We are talking about an ARMY possibly slaughtering civilians who are armed with just sticks and rocks for self-defence.

I'll bet none of you know the history of the Thammasat students who were slaughtered in 1976.

Have you seen the pictures or the video?

What is wrong with you people?

Are your business interests at stake or what?

You should be held as guilty as those who may possibly murder many innocent men, women, and children.

Why don't you go back to your home countries and kill your own people.

Totally agree with you mate. Some of the posts made on this site are completely disgusting. Like blood lust crazies it's as if they can't wait to see the army slaughtering men woman and children. What sort of people frequent this site? Personally it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth when I read such hate filled rhetoric. Sad, so very sad.

I agree too.

correction any person who is part of a group that carry any type of weapon and threaten death or injury is

1) Not a civilain any more

2) Is not considered to be in a state of self defence

Police to issue summons for UDD demonstrators

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The police announced today that summons will be issued for demonstrators of the anti-government United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) for the blockages of Phahonyothin Road and surrounding the Prime Minister’s residence.

Metropolitan Police Region 5 Commander Major General Anuchai Lekbumrung stated summons will be issued for hundreds of UDD supporters who attempted to blockade the Prime Minister's residence in order to check his presence, reasoning that such act violated the eighth CAPO announcement, prohibiting a road blockade by vehicles. The punishments included a two-year jail term and/or a fine of up to 40,000 THB or both.

Thank god the police are finally taking some stern action! 40,000 THB and / or a jail term. Phewee! That should definitely stop them. I should think the UDD thugs are just quaking in their sandals

has anyone read the bangkok post columns or seen the news on the "mysterious" men in black? Who do you suppose they really are? They've been seen in and among the red shirt "barricades" so it would appear if they were foes there would've been a clash.

One has to wonder how all this can go on when it gets to sucha level as guys in black with machine gus can roam around like mercenaries and assassins.

Time to bring this to an end. The "formerly red shirts now known as colorless shirts" don't want a peaceful end, so I guess sooner or later here, they'll get what they're askin' for, maybe more than they bargained for.

There is no way you could walk into the red camp carrying a rocket launcher or even wearing black clothing without their express permission. So the conclusion should be obvious.

You know what....

You know what....

Ummm There were certainly civil protests that started and then stopped going as far back as 2005. The root issue obviously is Thaksin. He dissolved parliament in an attempt to whitewash his illegal actions and to whitewash TRT. This failed. Thaksin then couldn't get an election certified and was sitting as a caretaker PM (after publicly resigning that position) for longer than the constitution of the day allowed. This led to a constitutional crisis and eventually a coup.

The people protesting up until the time of the coup were doing so quite legally and in a manner that should be applauded by anyone that claims to favor democracy. Later the PAD moved on into the realm of civil disobedience -- but unlike the reds they stayed (for the most part) civil ... even in the face of almost daily grenade attacks at the end.

The reds on this board overlook all the violence threatened and committed by the reds and then either lie or try and hide the red complicity in anything ... their excuse? the PAD.

Sorry reds ... if you abhor what the PAD did then you don't get to act in a similar manner. If you claim you want democracy then kindly come up with a platform that doesn't involve treason and violence and wait for the next elections :) By the way ---- it would be helpful for your cause if you could manage to elect people from a political party that do not violate the precepts of Democracy if you don't want some of your votes disvalidated.

You know what....

You know what....

Ummm There were certainly civil protests that started and then stopped going as far back as 2005. The root issue obviously is Thaksin. He dissolved parliament in an attempt to whitewash his illegal actions and to whitewash TRT. This failed. Thaksin then couldn't get an election certified and was sitting as a caretaker PM (after publicly resigning that position) for longer than the constitution of the day allowed. This led to a constitutional crisis and eventually a coup.

The people protesting up until the time of the coup were doing so quite legally and in a manner that should be applauded by anyone that claims to favor democracy. Later the PAD moved on into the realm of civil disobedience -- but unlike the reds they stayed (for the most part) civil ... even in the face of almost daily grenade attacks at the end.

The reds on this board overlook all the violence threatened and committed by the reds and then either lie or try and hide the red complicity in anything ... their excuse? the PAD.

Sorry reds ... if you abhor what the PAD did then you don't get to act in a similar manner. If you claim you want democracy then kindly come up with a platform that doesn't involve treason and violence and wait for the next elections :) By the way ---- it would be helpful for your cause if you could manage to elect people from a political party that do not violate the precepts of Democracy if you don't want some of your votes disvalidated.

So as long as you are non violent then seizing Airports and Government offices is fine and dandy? If the Reds were non violent you would have no problem with them closing down parts of the city? Your post is very hypocritical.

Edited by TheItaliann

It is comical how some of you disassociate the relationship between the PAD and the Democrats, as if the PAD is not the equivalent of the UDD.

Let's see --- the PAD has a political party called the New Politics Party. Yes there were a few (most notably Kasit) Democrats that were active at some level with the PAD. Were they core members? No. Were they (are they) political opportunists? Yes. Do you have to like them? No. Were they calling for violent insurrection? No. Were they violating any given law? Possibly. There are ongoing cases against some members of the PAD leadership but I am actually unsure if there are any ongoing cases against Kasit.

So, yes there are some tenuous links between the PAD and a few Democrats. Those links are NOT even close to being as strong as the links between the UDD and PTP.

Are members of one political party allowed to be visible members of various other types of politically active groups? I would assume that is up to the political party and when there is no rule against it, up to the conscience of the individuals involved.

To sum up ---- the Democrats are not the PAD not are they "Yellow" but some members certainly fall into both of those other groups. The PTP is by and large Red in that they are the Thaksin Crony party du jour.

Rofl.

They should have made UDD simply Anti-Democrats, instead of outright Pro-PT, then I suppose you would have had no problem with it.

Yep, the entire international press and every newspaper except BKP/NM has got it wrong. No connection between PAD/Dem/Army. :):D :D :D :D :D

So as long as you are non violent then seizing Airports and Government offices is fine and dandy? If the Reds were non violent you would have no problem with them closing down parts of the city? Your post is very hypocritical.

Nothing hypocritical in my post at all. Yes I have in the past come out in favor of civil disobedience in a peaceful manner. The PAD had a legal injunction against them being removed from Government house. They were attacked by Sae Daeng's grenades almost nightly at the end and still stayed by and large non-violent. Yes in the instances where they did respond with violence the culprits should be tried in a court of law. If found guilty they should be punished and if found to have been acting in self defense then they just move on.

Regarding the airport --- please remember that the AoT's board of directors names the acting chief of Suwannaphoom as the cause of that airport's closure. The man panicked instead of negotiating the situation to move the PAD to a visible place where they would not interfere with the operations of the airport. When that case finally goes through a full trial I can only assume that the AoT's board's statements to this effect will mitigate any findings against the PAD.

now --- THIS thread is about the grenade launcher toting, violent reds and their illegal occupation of sections of BKK .....

It's a bit like the kids nursery rhyme - "the wheels on the bus go round and round, round round , round round, the wheels on the bus go round and round all day long".

Simple solution - seal off the protest site nothing in only people out, shut down the power supply and the water, they are Thai aren't they, after missing 1 or 2 meals they will stream out of the protest area looking for food - easy way to bring a quick bloodless end to the problem.

Regarding the airport --- please remember that the AoT's board of directors names the acting chief of Suwannaphoom as the cause of that airport's closure. The man panicked instead of negotiating the situation to move the PAD to a visible place where they would not interfere with the operations of the airport. When that case finally goes through a full trial I can only assume that the AoT's board's statements to this effect will mitigate any findings against the PAD.

So because he did not ask the PAD to go to a different area the PAD is absolved of all wrong doing? Did they "accidentally" close the airport and hold tourists hostage? Really, all a misunderstanding I suppose. If anything the PAD should be the ones suing the government for not moving them to a visible place.

Nothing to see here people. Move along. Just another coincidence.

It's a bit like the kids nursery rhyme - "the wheels on the bus go round and round, round round , round round, the wheels on the bus go round and round all day long".

Simple solution - seal off the protest site nothing in only people out, shut down the power supply and the water, they are Thai aren't they, after missing 1 or 2 meals they will stream out of the protest area looking for food - easy way to bring a quick bloodless end to the problem.

The issue then becomes .. what do you do with the few hundred thousand people that live in the area while you wait them out? How do you peacefully prevent water and food getting in? What do you do about the hospitals in the area?

I agree that tightening the controls on getting in and out would be a beginning. Taking the names and photos of all people leaving the area for potential use in prosecutions would be a good idea as well. At some point all you will have left in the area is the most violent subset of the reds and enough riot troops backed by snipers could hem them in totally. It would still be way too expensive in the cost of human lives and property damage to move that violent core group out but time would wear them down.

I'd do the opposite, let them in but not out, then target their supply vehicles.

What would you do when they throw a grenade at you?

Well I see the border police in Phitsanaloke broke through the red blockade in a baton charge. Wonder if this signals a change in police tactics.

Were arrests made?

Dunno but they stopped the reds from cutting their tyres.

Other interesting stuff with the NHCR telling people they can file lawsuits against illegal searches by red guards and calling on the reds to stop violating the human rights of people. One doctor in Udon has already filed a case. If this all ends without a revolution there are going to be loads of people tied up in legal action for years unless someone tries an amnesty and that is likely to raise enough ire to start a new round of street demos.

So because he did not ask the PAD to go to a different area the PAD is absolved of all wrong doing? Did they "accidentally" close the airport and hold tourists hostage? Really, all a misunderstanding I suppose. If anything the PAD should be the ones suing the government for not moving them to a visible place.

Nothing to see here people. Move along. Just another coincidence.

Perhaps you should look up "mitigation" in the legal sense and then look up "absolved".

You might also look up "hostage" and "held" ...

In no way did i excuse the actions of the PAD at the airport, I just think they have a case for mitigating many of the possible findings that could be brought against them. Getting grenaded nightly certainly mitigates not moving to a less secure area. Having the AOT close the airport may mitigate some of the legal findings accusing the PAD of closing the airport.

The issues of the PAD and their actions are in the hands of the courts. The current government was not in power at the time of the PAD actions.

NOW we are talking about the Reds and their violence. They are in violation of the SoE and the courts have ruled that they may be removed from the areas that they are illegally occupying. (They could choose to be in a place that does not damage Thailand as much, but hey, the PPP chould have chosen to dissolve parliament even one day before their party was disbanded for electoral fraud!)

Well I see the border police in Phitsanaloke broke through the red blockade in a baton charge. Wonder if this signals a change in police tactics.

It's about time. As long as the police allow the protesters to do whatever they want things are only going to get worse. Ordinary Thai citizens should not have to answer to protesters. They are should not be subject to illegal searches just because they use a public highway. Would it be acceptable for yellow protesters to search Red protesters homes for weapons?

Thaksin: I'm Not Dead Yet

Ousted former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra dismisses, via Twitter, the rumour that he was dead after experiencing a shock during a purported cancer treatment.

On his Twitter page, self-exiled former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra rejected reports that he suffered a shock during chemotherapy.

Thaksin is reportedly battling with a third-stage prostate cancer at a hospital in Dubai.

Unconfirmed reports last Friday said that he experienced the shock after the blood type he was receiving during cancer treatment was incompatible with his blood.

The convicted prime minister also denied having asked his ex-wife, Khunying Pojaman Damapong to get blood in Thailand and fly the family's doctors at Rama 9 Hospital to perform an emergency operation on him.

unquote

3rd stage prostate cancer

well the experst say he has a 70 to 80% of surviving the next 5 years (more likely to be knocked down by a yaba motorcy in pta). No point trying to tough out this scenario

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/type/prostate...prostate-cancer

He obviously had a shock when he found out he was received blood from a falang so he sent home for some Thai blood.